Hello from North part of Norway

Hello from the land of the Midnight Sun^^

Im still a newb when it comes to growing peppers, first chilies i grew where in the fall after we moved in to our new house and i took seeds from the chilies we use alot in our cooking (some red thai ones from the oriental store in out town)

Back then my chili knowledge where limited to the red ones, the green ones the jalapenos and the habaneros..... and then i started to come across more and more after shopping at some UK seeds suppliers.... and i was hooked. Now im trying to limit myself but failing bad at it, there are just oo many sorts of peppers and that little itch keeps nagging me to try to grow them all :(

So yeah, will be intresting how it goes as we have short summers and long dark winters up here but i have faith!  (and grow lights! and 2 aerogardens!)

So, Hi!

Hello from your Southern neighbours!

Chilis will do just fine up there, though you might need to keep them in a windowsill. Even the extremely hot chinenses (Carolina reapers, trinidad moruga scorpion etc) did good all the way up to Finnsnes (Lenvik, Troms). They were raised under some artificial light in the winter and put in a green house during the grow season. Yes.. there are more chili heads between the mooses, reindeer and trolls : -)

I believe Kjeld is even on the forum here (if not, he sure is on the finnish forum).

So you might need to insulate your freezer to prevent it from frost damage, but you can actually grow chilis all the way up north.

Pfeffer said:
Hello from your Southern neighbours!

Chilis will do just fine up there, though you might need to keep them in a windowsill. Even the extremely hot chinenses (Carolina reapers, trinidad moruga scorpion etc) did good all the way up to Finnsnes (Lenvik, Troms). They were raised under some artificial light in the winter and put in a green house during the grow season. Yes.. there are more chili heads between the mooses, reindeer and trolls : -)

I believe Kjeld is even on the forum here (if not, he sure is on the finnish forum).

So you might need to insulate your freezer to prevent it from frost damage, but you can actually grow chilis all the way up north.

Good to hear that they are a sucsess in Finnsnes, thats where im located lol

Got big southfacing windows and a sheltered southfacing balcony and property so im hoping i might be able to have them outside in the summer.

Also plotting to get a greenhouse at some point but need to do abit more research on location and how strong they are vs winterstorms etc.

Thanks for the welcomes :)

:welcome:  to the THP forums from South Carolina, USA!! Getting 'hooked' on peppers is a good kind of hooked!  ;)  Best of luck with your grow!

Greenhouses are a bit allergic for storms, but if you have a decent one they should be fine. I figure wood would be relatively affordable in your area, you might want to consider building a strong wooden frame with foil. It's easy to make and should be relatively cheap.

I would last you atleast one season, possibly even 2-3 seasons. I'd first check if it's a succes before investing more. Your in a beautiful part of Europe, though nature is not always as forgiving as in the part I live. Spent some very cold time in the Skjold/Overbygd area.. To make things worse, booze was more than five times the price in Germany..

Back