Hello from Northern California

My name is Stephen. I am growing peppers in coastal Sonoma County (surrounded by happy cows and pinot noir; probably unconnected facts). I am a retired biotech entrepreneur currently studying life, horticulture, viticulture, enology, and the culinary arts.

I have found the hot pepper forums to be a great source of information and inspiration...and decided that it was high time I registered as a user, stopped lurking, and started participating a bit.

This is my second year growing peppers and I am very excited. I feel much better informed and equipped this time around and this season is off to a much smoother (and more productive) start. My greatest success from my first season was a 5 foot tall Manzano that pumped out buckets of the best peppers I've ever tasted; and my greatest failure was not getting it through the winter successfully.

I have 144 pepper seedlings of 36 cultivars ready to hit the ground. My last frost date was 2 days ago and I should start planting under row covers in the next 10 days or so. I am very keen to learn about anything related to cultivation, processing, and cooking with peppers. Longer term, I am hoping to hone my skills at overwintering, working with cuttings, and doing some pepper breeding. Also hoping to trade some seed - especially at the end of the season.

Hope everyone has a great 2013 season!

Cheers,
Stephen

Hello from Sonora, CA (Sonora NOT Sonoma...Gold NOT Grapes)!
Good luck with the garden. This is a great place for information on all things hot.

Kevin, Defcon, Shawn, Sicman, George, Vin, Mike, Rick, Capehog,

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Welcome. Sounds like you are off and running.

Indeed... I have nudged the boulder over the edge. Now I just have to try to keep up with all those different seedlings without wiping out completely. I would probably not have been so ambitious if I hadn't seen all of the amazing grow lists from you folks and thought: "I may be crazy...but I am definitely not alone."

Hi Stephen, and welcome from western Massachusetts

Rick - I have been following your glog since your army of peppers was just hooks and dreams - very inspiring. Also, you may be partly responsible for a recent surge in Kim Chi fermentation experiments at our house. Glad to finally get to say hi.

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

¡Hola! and welcome from south FL
880smile-1.png

Back