Hello from San Diego

Just stumbled on The Hot Pepper forum - not sure how I missed it in the past. I like the many different and varied subforums here, so I can see many fruitful hours spent here in my future. :beer:

I'm located in Zone 7, about 1/4 mile from the coast in North County San Diego. I'm a somewhat experienced chilehead, I'm now in my 3rd season of growing hot peppers and still learning, then again I've never been a gardener, so the learning curve has been steep but rewarding. I have always loved really hot foods and hot sauces, and I am a pretty competent home chef, so when I started making home salsas and hot sauces, I was unhappy with the limited selection of hot chilies available at the grocery and Asian/Hispanic/Middle Eastern specialty stores.

Happily my search for "more" led to a decision to try growing habs, jalapenos, serranos, hot cherry and Fresno's in containers my first year. Success, plus the convenience of having plenty of peppers on hand all the time, led to more variety in my 2nd season - adding poblanos, Thai, Kung pao, Bhuts, bell, tomatoes, and miscellaneous herbs to the backyard, all grown from seed. Lots of challenges including a major aphid infestation and a two week vacation (and a lazy plant sitter) that led to the loss of many of my plants just before spring. In the meantime I tried my hand at DWC hydro and raised four nice Bhuts in a small 2x4 tent under 400W HID lighting in the garage over the winter, ending up with 4 great looking plants to transplant into soil come March.

This year, I count more than 100 plants in the backyard (in raised containers), all of the above types plus adding more Bhuts, 7-Pot Jonahs, Fatalis, Datils, Anaheim, Tabasco, Big Jim, Sante Fe, Caribbean Red, pumpkin Habs, white Habs,and chocolate Habs. Many problems, most of my own creation (too much love!) but also from unseasonably cold and wet weather in early Spring, but figuring them out has led to a steady harvest since March. Harvested my first Bhuts and fatali's (which may become my new favorite for cooking) last week and my first (and only, so far) 7-Pot today.

Looking forward to sharing what I can and learning a lot more! Here's a pic of the latest batch of pickled peppers, stuffing them now with cheese/ham then battered and fried up for some tasty pre-dinner appetizers. :woohoo:

Cheers -

Barry

misc7-8-11114sm.jpg

Hey Jeff -

Yes, I learned that by experience last year! I try to keep my pickling jars filled with just the same types now, but occasionally there will be a few strays/leftovers of mixed types that go into a single jar - no superhots, though.

I think the jar in the pic is one of those - sometimes you get some interesting flavors, like normally mild (but now hot!) Santa Fes that can surprise the unwary. :) I see some Sante Fes, Cherry Bombs, Fresnos, and Italian peppers in the jar.

Barry

Hey Jeff -

Yes, I learned that by experience last year! I try to keep my pickling jars filled with just the same types now, but occasionally there will be a few strays/leftovers of mixed types that go into a single jar - no superhots, though.

I think the jar in the pic is one of those - sometimes you get some interesting flavors, like normally mild (but now hot!) Santa Fes that can surprise the unwary. :) I see some Sante Fes, Cherry Bombs, Fresnos, and Italian peppers in the jar.

Barry

I can imagine some blowback if a superhot found its way into a jar of Italian peperoncini. Heh heh.

Back