Hello from SC

kentishman said:
Yani,

Lake Jocassee is a beautiful lake. It flows into Lake Keowee, which is where I live. if you make another trip this way, I can give you seeds for many varieties of chiles.

It's impossible for me to name just one variety that is my favorite! When I got started about six years ago, I concentrated on superhot varieties, but over time I have moved toward less hot varieties that are better for cooking with. Poblanos are great for stuffing with cheese and chicken and eating with Mexican food. I have been growing a mild Jalapeño with a large pod for several years now and use it a lot. Two varieties I grew for the first time last year and really liked were Big Jim, a New Mexico pepper I use in Green Chile Stew, and Sinahuisa, which is very similar to a Serrano, but I like it better. It is from a farming community in the Sonora region of Mexico.

Another thing I tried last year was a couple of Hungarian peppers used for making paprika powder. I made my own paprika and used it to cook Hungarian Goulash.

Good luck to you with your peppers this year!

Cheers, Tom

I would appreciate that very much. I just started some Guajillo chilis, Habaneros (Chocolate variety), and Jalapeños ("Early Jalapeño) in the germination process yesterday. I will definitely start some others closer to the growing season – just wanted to get started with something inside earlier so they are ready to bring outside late towards the later half of March or early April. I would be interested in starting some Poblanos as well.

As mentioned earlier, I'll be trying out the Autopot system but I'm also devising a plan to use a "gutter grow system" using 5 gal buckets or grow bags that wick water from a float-regulated valve connected to either a hose or rain barrel. The system needs to be fairly self-regulating and automatic as I am away for most of the day with limited time in the mornings, etc.  

Perhaps I should start a separate grow diary thread. 

Thank you all for the welcoming! 

Back