Hello from tropical Queensland

Hello, and thanks for all the great information.  Up until May of 2012 I lived on the border of North Dakota and Minnesota, in the Fargo area.  We had a five month growing season max, and I took advantage of it to grow whatever I could.  My most frequent plantings were tomatoes, jalapenos and habaneros.  ALong with this was anything else used to make my own hot sauce, so green peppers, onions, garlic, etc.  In May of 2012 I moved down under, to Mackay, Queensland.  We are amazed at the variety of plants we can grow here, and have been successful with habanero's, jalapeno's, thai chillis, tomatoes, ginger, galangal, etc.  I have started into the hot peppers this year with bhut jolokia, fatalii, Trinidad 7-pod, aji lemon and peter peppers.  The orange habanero plant has put out two pods so far, and both of them started white and then changed to a streaky purple/white mixture?  Strange, and will have to keep watching it...    It will be interesting to see how well these do through the hot summer months, and what sort of pests are around.  I think the neighbor's lime tree has mites of some sort with the brown scaly skin they have, so will have to watch for signs of that on my plants as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say hi, and thanks for all of your contributions.  I have learned heaps already!

Welcome from a Queenslander living in the US! How are you liking it in Australia? Plenty of great info and amazing people on here. 

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Thanks to the welcoming committee!  I didn't realize that you had to manually sign up to follow a topic, and was wondering why no one had written back!  I came back to bump the thread myself, and see that there were several replies.  Thanks everyone.

Meathead, I see that you are originally from the Brisbane area.  We are up in Mackay as I mentioned, and we love it.  The harsh winters here (all the way down to 9 degrees C!) are pretty easy to take after the freezing, blowing blizzards of North Dakota and Minnesota.  This year it is heating up much earlier than last year, although I haven't lived here long enough to know which is the norm.  We are learning all sorts of things such as you buy petrol, not gas, and if you need a propane you need to ask for a gas bubble.  If you are chock a block that is the opposite of bugger all, and aluminum has an extra letter.  That doesn't even begin to explain all the abbreviations for words!  We love all forms of Rugby, although we weren't aware until moving here that there were multiple forms.  We have adapted quite well and been accepted as Queenslanders, which has been very good with the last two state of origins.  The people are very good here, and quite accepting of foreigners.  Our kids are very happy at the schools and the work is going very well.

What took you over to Louisiana?

ivplay said:
Thanks to the welcoming committee!  I didn't realize that you had to manually sign up to follow a topic, and was wondering why no one had written back!  I came back to bump the thread myself, and see that there were several replies.  Thanks everyone.

Meathead, I see that you are originally from the Brisbane area.  We are up in Mackay as I mentioned, and we love it.  The harsh winters here (all the way down to 9 degrees C!) are pretty easy to take after the freezing, blowing blizzards of North Dakota and Minnesota.  This year it is heating up much earlier than last year, although I haven't lived here long enough to know which is the norm.  We are learning all sorts of things such as you buy petrol, not gas, and if you need a propane you need to ask for a gas bubble.  If you are chock a block that is the opposite of bugger all, and aluminum has an extra letter.  That doesn't even begin to explain all the abbreviations for words!  We love all forms of Rugby, although we weren't aware until moving here that there were multiple forms.  We have adapted quite well and been accepted as Queenslanders, which has been very good with the last two state of origins.  The people are very good here, and quite accepting of foreigners.  Our kids are very happy at the schools and the work is going very well.

What took you over to Louisiana?
Glad to hear you like it over there! Yeah the language is a little different. I get weird looks here when I use Aussie slang sometimes lol. Should be some great fishing around Mackay too if you're into that. I moved here about 4 and a half years ago. My wife's from here so moved here to be with her. Sounds like you've had about the same experience over there as I've had here. The people here are pretty laid back just like most people I know back home and the temperatures are about the same as Brisbane, just a lot more humid here. The only problem is the food here's way too good! Put on way too much weight since moving here lol. 

Back