• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

HELp! Can you tell me what these are?

Planted a bunch of seeds that were sold to us as Jamacian Red Scotch Bonnets. Turns out the majority of the peppers are Aji Cachucha. There were a few of these in the mix, and we don't know what they are.

IMAG2325.jpg

IMAG2326.jpg

IMAG2324.jpg

IMAG2322.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

as a side note, the plants are identical in appearance (except the purple has purple flowers), and the pepper pods are very light green until ripening (except the purple)

I got red bonnet seeds from a guy in France. My peppers look just like your second picture, they are tasty though.
Of the bunch, these are very good tasting peppers with a nice heat. I would like to know what they are because this variety is the only one I want to keep.......I just wish we could id it.

hows the heat of the purple one it looks cool

It is a cool looking pepper, however I concur with Mr. Sic.......it tasted like a fresh, uncooked green bean with jalapeno heat.......maybe the flavor will improve as they mature. Don't know, but I'm willing to wait, and try it again. If it improves, we will let you know.

hahahahahahaha that sucks! i hate people that knowinly sell the seeds when they know they arnt what they say they are suppose to be
To the seed sellers credit, we have been refunded the cost of the seeds with an apology and a promise to investigate their source so this doesn't ever happen again. However, cost of dirt, cost of containers, cost of utilities, and lost time and labor can't be recouped. It's maddening, but you never really know what you are getting until the pods appear.

To the seed sellers credit, we have been refunded the cost of the seeds with an apology and a promise to investigate their source so this doesn't ever happen again. However, cost of dirt, cost of containers, cost of utilities, and lost time and labor can't be recouped. It's maddening, but you never really know what you are getting until the pods appear.
yeah i just got tabascos and habaneros from trinadad scorpion seeds

Yes, that would piss me off too. It's one thing to misidentify a pepper, there are a lot of similarities in the various strains. It's quite another thing to misrepresent a product altogether. Feel like sharing where you got your seeds from?

that first pod's point looks like a dolphin
Well, I guess we will dub that the dolphin pepper, for lack of a better name...........and NO, you are not entitled to royalties or payments for the name if all the peppers present the same ......so don't even ask
lol

True, True. There is more integrity in the pepper trade (withstanding a few, of course, which get called out quickly) on these pages than on the entire internet from my experience. Wholehearted, good people with a true passion for all thing peppers

I'm sorry to hear that LS. I would put all the peppers up for sale as they ripen. People want stuff like that. A spicy green bean sounds intriguing! All the soil you bought can be reused as well. The time and effort was still put into growing chiles and that in itself is a good thing. You got to experience some peppers that you've never had and wouldn't have without the mistake. (I know some one who was sold tomato seeds as pepper seeds....now that would suck lol)

I have two varieties that turned out to be something other than what they were supposed to be. Peach Bhuts.....nope....actually not sure what they are but they're not Bhuts! The other was suppose to be yellow fatalii's but they are ripening red....so I'm not sure if they are red fatalii's, a hybrid or something else altogether!

Good luck with the IDing. Keep your spirits up!

I'm sorry to hear that LS. I would put all the peppers up for sale as they ripen. People want stuff like that. A spicy green bean sounds intriguing! All the soil you bought can be reused as well. The time and effort was still put into growing chiles and that in itself is a good thing. You got to experience some peppers that you've never had and wouldn't have without the mistake. (I know some one who was sold tomato seeds as pepper seeds....now that would suck lol)

I have two varieties that turned out to be something other than what they were supposed to be. Peach Bhuts.....nope....actually not sure what they are but they're not Bhuts! The other was suppose to be yellow fatalii's but they are ripening red....so I'm not sure if they are red fatalii's, a hybrid or something else altogether!

Good luck with the IDing. Keep your spirits up!

Please don't misunderstand us here. Although I appreciate the empathy (sympathy?) and the encouraging attitude, We are not upset or discouraged. We just have 700 plants of a pepper variety that are just not very good tasting, nor are they what we pruchased. A few of these unexpected varieties are awesome. Some are just curiosities. We simply don't have a clue what they are, even though they came from the same batch seed purchase.

I see. Well, I've reread your OP and 700...if it was a business venture, it sounds like you have grounds for a civil lawsuit. Not saying go that route if it was but that's a lot of seed! All of the things you listed (costs) and the fact that you're not going to be able to sell (again I'm just guessing/assuming) them as you originally planned (if that's the case.)

We were planning to sell pods and create powders with the bonnets. We still are, we just have to start over. We have a pretty large Jamacian population in our area, that just can't get fresh pods. We have other varieties to rely on in the meantime, so all is not lost.

Back