• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help diagnosing my problem?

Did you apply the mic during the heat of the day when the sun was beaming onto the plants?  If so, this can stress the plants sometimes (creates thermal/water transport problems in the plant cell membranes...  Potassium also happens to be something the plants use to fight moisture stress and heat stress... 

solid7 said:
This is not correct. Plants do not uptake specific nutrients preferentially.
Just because you put too much of something around a plant, does not mean that it will try to use it.
I'm not sure about this one. On one hand it sounds correct that plants would only use what they need, but plants do absorb stuff they don't need. Reminds me of the white flowers in blue food dye experiments at school. I can't say either way, the article does also mention that potassium does not appear to have a toxic effect on plants so apologies for my original use of the word 'uptake '.

I wander if too much potassium in the soil can somehow block the uptake of other nutrients? Perhaps by binding to them, as opposed to the plant taking in the potassium itself.

From the article:

'Potassium Toxicity
Excess potassium does not appear to have a toxic effect on plants. It can induce deficiencies of other nutrients however (particularly nitrogen, calcium and magnesium) so care should be taken to avoid an excess by only ever applying potassium containing fertilisers when required and according to the directions on the packaging.'

Just out of curiosity what are the temperatures like... day and night?

Also... I just looked up mosaic virus in peppers and got some images looking alot like your plants.

Jase4224 said:
I'm not sure about this one. On one hand it sounds correct that plants would only use what they need, but plants do absorb stuff they don't need. Reminds me of the white flowers in blue food dye experiments at school. I can't say either way, the article does also mention that potassium does not appear to have a toxic effect on plants so apologies for my original use of the word 'uptake '.

I wander if too much potassium in the soil can somehow block the uptake of other nutrients? Perhaps by binding to them, as opposed to the plant taking in the potassium itself.

From the article:

'Potassium Toxicity
Excess potassium does not appear to have a toxic effect on plants. It can induce deficiencies of other nutrients however (particularly nitrogen, calcium and magnesium) so care should be taken to avoid an excess by only ever applying potassium containing fertilisers when required and according to the directions on the packaging.'
Nobody will ever dispute toxicity, caused by excess application. But that has nothing to do with uptake. That's just plain ol' chemistry.

Check for pests. Magnifying glass on the underside of leaves from different locations and different plants.
:onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:  :onfire:

Hey guys, thanks for all the help.

So when it started, the day temp was bout 35C - 40C, and to think of it I may have fed them during the day, also with a watering can, so there would have been the nutrient mix on the leaves.

I think it did start happening when I fed them for the first time after planting. And it has happened to all the plants once. would this still indicate mites? I would love for it not to be  :pray:  :pray:

It could. I'd check anyways. 
If not, it could be the nute mix on the leaves, but that wouldn't make NEW growth that didn't yet get any nute mix on it curl like that. 

I dunno, it wouldn't hurt to rule it out but it really doesn't strike me as symptom of broad mite (and trust me when I say I've had A LOT of experience with the bastages!).

Very similar but not the same.

Thing with broad mite damage, the curling and distortion itself is a result of phytotoxicity (the broad mite saliva is extremely toxic to the plant).

Hence why my guess is some type of phytotoxicity... but not as a result of broad mite.... something else.

Again, very similar... but not quite the same.

Had a closer look at your pics... and maybe mites.

I'm torn now... I do see signs of mites... but yet it doesn't look like broad mite damage.

Does anybody know of other mites... like broad mite but not broad mite??

Russet and Cyclamen mites.
Spider mite damage would look like millions of little white pin spots, eventually bleaching the leaf. (but the structure remains intact)

Yes, deffo not spider mite.

As well as the different damage you mention, they are larger and easier to spot.

Maybe cyclamen mite but don't russet mites also leave a telltale pin spot?

I guess it is not out of the equation that certain factors might cause broad mite damage to present itself differently to what I have personally observed as well.

Here's the photo that has me second guessing my original observation:

LocalFart said:
30kbu40.jpg
The tiny white dots on some of the deformed leaves. It's always hard to tell from photos, especially due to the inability to observe movement, but I am almost certain they are mites.

They say broad mite are invisible to the naked eye but that is incorrect... good eyesight can spot them, they are just very very very tiny like the dots in the photo.

Hey guys, 

So I've had a good glance over on the weekend. couldn't see anything under magnify. But then again I was looking through the mrs's DSLR because I don't own a magnifying glass.

I will try and source a cheap one from somewhere.

And Jason, the drainage is good. The soil mix will drain in about 12 hours, but I had them on the same timer as the lawn which was 5 mins every day and 20 mins twice a week, this is why I thought I may have over watered. 

I have been drenching them about every 3rd day for about an hour of just normal water to try and flush them. Fingers crossed that will work.

Oh and one other thing I can think of is that I gave them a spray with Eco-Organic pest spray maybe about a month ago.
eco-oil-HIPPO-group-LR.jpg

Oh.

Eco-Oil.

I used that stuff once many moons ago and all the leaves on my plants dropped off not long after. :eek:

Can't say for certain that it was the Eco-Oil that did it, like, there was other stuff going on at the same time, but still, I wasn't keen on messing around with it any further.....

This pic:

avSlkIx.jpg

If you notice any white dots like that, observe very closely to see if they move.

why don't you take a photo using microscope instead of blind guessing.  it's not expensive at all.  
later you may need to sacrifice a branch of your pepper and take a look inside.

Hmm okay, I'll grab the DSLR out this afternoon and take some closeups to see what the white dots are.

But yeah I don't own a microscope and don't really want to be splashing that kind of cash for something I will rarely use, but thank you for the input :) every little bit helps

Back