• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help for a pepper rookie

Hello folks
This year i decided to start growing my own peppers.I bough the only packet of peppers my local walmart had which were pepperocini.I have since found out these are very mild peppers.I want to plant some more peppers but i want a pepper that is a medium heat and grows to maturity quickly. I have heard that super chilli hybdrids are easy to grow and have a decent kick(also i saw them at my local garden center).Does anyone have more information on these peppers?Thanks

Good choice. Medium heat, sometimes even leaning towards the hot end, and a very prolific producer of pods. I've never grown them but a neighbor has and he's a very generous guy.

i have a nice sized, overwintered super chilli with 1 red pod on it, they grow well and are very low maintenance. pods are pointy and pungent tasting.

if you wait a month, your local canadian tire, rona, homedepot will open their plant nursery section and you should be able to get nice size plants, usually with flowers and that tends to include:
super chilli, kung pao, cayenne, hot wax, holy mole - they sell for about $1.50 per plant. on occasion they carry orange habs, caribbean reds - these tend to sell for $3.50.

costco will bring their plants in, in about a month and they tend to sell monster sized plants for about $12.99 and are usually fruiting. i forget what hot very they had.

then, if you are venturous, check out your local nurseries, they may have alternate varieties as well. a few years ago i found hot lemon and red habanero.

good luck on your search and don't forget to look at some nice cherry size tomatoes whilst meandering the peppers.

I'd recommend some cayennes if you see them.

I got a pack from Ferry-Morse seed Co.. think I found them at Walmart or Lowes... decent heat, very nice flavor, and they germinated in less than a week with a perfect rate (literally 100% 27 of 27 planted)

Oh yeah.. the chinense types (like habenero, bhut jolokia, scotch bonnet) tend to be slower to germinate and slower to grow.

i will probably nip down to the local garden centre and grab a packet of the super hybrids 2moro. Has anyone grown pepperocini before?What are they like?I have planted in disposable cups on my window sills at the moment and i will probably wait till june to plant them outside.

i have a nice sized, overwintered super chilli with 1 red pod on it, they grow well and are very low maintenance. pods are pointy and pungent tasting.

if you wait a month, your local canadian tire, rona, homedepot will open their plant nursery section and you should be able to get nice size plants, usually with flowers and that tends to include:
super chilli, kung pao, cayenne, hot wax, holy mole - they sell for about $1.50 per plant. on occasion they carry orange habs, caribbean reds - these tend to sell for $3.50.

costco will bring their plants in, in about a month and they tend to sell monster sized plants for about $12.99 and are usually fruiting. i forget what hot very they had.

then, if you are venturous, check out your local nurseries, they may have alternate varieties as well. a few years ago i found hot lemon and red habanero.

good luck on your search and don't forget to look at some nice cherry size tomatoes whilst meandering the peppers.
My father in-law has a patch of land up north where he goes for the summer months to grow veg so i get boxes and boxes of tomatoes,potatoes,carrotts and onions.I all ways have way more than i could eat in 10 summers lol.I end up giving most away to the neighbours.

Thanks for your advice and i will check out homedepot as there is one near me

i will probably nip down to the local garden centre and grab a packet of the super hybrids 2moro. Has anyone grown pepperocini before?What are they like?I have planted in disposable cups on my window sills at the moment and i will probably wait till june to plant them outside.

My father in-law has a patch of land up north where he goes for the summer months to grow veg so i get boxes and boxes of tomatoes,potatoes,carrotts and onions.I all ways have way more than i could eat in 10 summers lol.I end up giving most away to the neighbours.

Thanks for your advice and i will check out homedepot as there is one near me

If you cannot find anything let me know. Im in Brampton so not too far off from you . I have about 90 hot pepper plants on the go 18 varieties with only room for 50-55 in my garden.

If you cannot find anything let me know. Im in Brampton so not too far off from you . I have about 90 hot pepper plants on the go 18 varieties with only room for 50-55 in my garden.

Thanks thats really generous.What type of peppers could you spare?

Thanks thats really generous.What type of peppers could you spare?
i doubt your interested but i have loads of pepperocini seedling if you wanted.I hear they are nice pickled.

Don't discount the pepperoncini just yet, they are very common in your local grocery store as they are usually pickled, they are olive green in colour and at one time, outside of pepperflakes, were about as hot as you could find in canada or at least at the local anglosaxon grocery stores. actually, that is not completely true, i do remember jalapenos - fresh in stores, yet green.

it is classified as a sweet pepper, the tang you get from the jarred pickled version, i would guess is from the vinegar. i have never had a ripe fresh pepperoncini and when you grow out your seeds let them rippen to red, passing the green stage that you find jarred. my guess - you may like the variation in flavour from that of a red bell pepper. give it a try.

as for jarred pickled peppers, i usually keep a jar of hot cherry pickled peppers in the fridge.

Don't discount the pepperoncini just yet, they are very common in your local grocery store as they are usually pickled, they are olive green in colour and at one time, outside of pepperflakes, were about as hot as you could find in canada or at least at the local anglosaxon grocery stores. actually, that is not completely true, i do remember jalapenos - fresh in stores, yet green.

it is classified as a sweet pepper, the tang you get from the jarred pickled version, i would guess is from the vinegar. i have never had a ripe fresh pepperoncini and when you grow out your seeds let them rippen to red, passing the green stage that you find jarred. my guess - you may like the variation in flavour from that of a red bell pepper. give it a try.

as for jarred pickled peppers, i usually keep a jar of hot cherry pickled peppers in the fridge.
I am going to keep some pepperocini,but i have about 50-60 seedlings(i wasn't expecting them all to germinate) and i would like some hotter peppers and i dont have that much garden space.But i am looking forward to how they will turn out.

Managed to get some cayenne and habenaro seeds today.Whats the best way to germinate them.I hear you can put the seeds in some damp paper towel,then stick it in a zippy bag and put it somewhere hot.Has anyone done this and does it work?

Back