• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help ID-ing pepper

Hi, I bought this pepper plant to have a go at gardening. I'm not quite sure what species and type it is, so I'm looking for some help with ID-ing them.

flower
5933446344_5d6b95449f.jpg

various angles of fruit
5932890995_0df584cfc1.jpg

5933453850_7fd94daae4.jpg

5933456804_91875cab9f.jpg

If any additional pictures is needed, let me know.

Thanks.

ps, I'm new here and I'm from Penang, Malaysia. Looking forward to possibly increasing the variety of peppers I have.

It's a C. chinense. the same species as the Habanero, Red Savina, Bhut Jolokia and many other wonderful chiles.

It is not a Habanero. Habanero is a name of a variety in the species Capsicum chinense. quite difficult to identify the variety with hardly any info. when you purchased it, did it had any info regarding its origin or maybe they named it?

I bought it as a plant maybe about 1 foot tall at a farmers market. They just called it, 'really spicy' and from Mexico.

Well I wouldn't worry too much about naming it. just enjoy it.
How it is flavor and heat wise?

It's spicier than the local cili padi or bird's eye chilli and stays in your mouth longer. Aside from that, we don't have alot of variety of chilli available to compare with that I can get my hands on.

The flavour, I haven't really tasted it much, the few pods that were on the plant when I bought, had some maggots in them so I ate only thin slices from the ends, but it's fruitier than the pungent/bitter flavour of the cili padi.

Hi Nuthead,

I am from Penang also. Hmm my friend did have a few plant at his house. Similar shape but his color was more orange than red. Thin wall and very hot. I saves some seeds and planning on growing them. My fingers still hurt 24hrs after I remove the seeds from the pods. Which farmers market you got them from?

Mark T

Hello Mark, very happy to see another Penangite here. :D

I got it from Cameron Highlands, not somewhere in Penang sadly. I have germinated about 6 of the seeds 5 days ago. I've put them in the ground. Hopefully I see sprouts in about 2-5 days more.

Yeah, these guys are quite hot. Even handling them whole, you sometimes can get trace amounts of oils on your hands. I'm waiting for a new batch of them to grow. When I got it as a plant, there were quite a number of pods already on it. They suddenly turned red when I took it home. Could be the environment shock. My dad gave them away to his office colleagues.

Which part of Penang are you in? I'm located in Tanjung Bungah.

Hi Nuthead,

I am from Tanjong Tokong, very nearby hehe. I have a feeling that the chilli you got is similiar to my friend's. Maybe related to Dorset Naga. My friend told me that he got the seeds through foreign worker from Bangladesh. I have also sowed the seeds awaiting germination. Keep it up I wish you all the success. I am also a newbie, watch out for garden pest like snails? I lost quite a few bhut jolokia seedlings from that.

Mark T

its nice to see more malaysians coming in here :)
hi nut head(Michael ) :welcome:

i am from the capital kl.

the cameron highland you got it from an indian stall ?

mark: Thanks for the advice, most likely I'll use eggshells. Are the Bhut Jolokia happy with our weather?

Hi srin2. Yeah, I got it there. They had some herbs and all. You know them?

mark: Thanks for the advice, most likely I'll use eggshells. Are the Bhut Jolokia happy with our weather?

Hi srin2. Yeah, I got it there. They had some herbs and all. You know them?
If you got that plant from them,then it might be a Assam bhut or a hybrid from it. They got it from Bangladesh workers also.

If you got that plant from them,then it might be a Assam bhut or a hybrid from it. They got it from Bangladesh workers also.

Interesting, is that the same family as the Bhut Jolokia?. If that info is right, that would mean it's amongst the hottest chillies around isn't it? I wonder if different characteristics will be expressed in the later generations. . .

Interesting, is that the same family as the Bhut Jolokia?. If that info is right, that would mean it's amongst the hottest chillies around isn't it? I wonder if different characteristics will be expressed in the later generations. . .
yup.. just its from a different area and hybrids can make a hot pepper hotter or sometimes less hot then its parents.and they are not stabilize yet..each generation there might have a change..... the heat is also determined by the environment.... heat needs heat!

Hi guys,

I just came back from my friend's house and pluck one more of his mystery chinense pepper. I suspect it could be a Bhir Jolokia type.
Here is the picture. Any guess? Its very hot and with thin wall. I believe it is similiar to the one you got from Cameron Highlands.

localchinense.jpg

Back