• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help me decide which pepper to grow! (limited space)

Hey everyone,

The season is coming down to an end for many of us, but for some like me, we are just beginning to plan our grow for the next season. I have never grown superhots before and have limited experience eating them because they're not abundant where I live.

So far I have 8 varieties I plan to grow:
1. bhut jolokia
2. naga morich
3. trinidad scorpion
4. ts chocolate (thanks to Grant from Jungle Rain Gourmet Chilli)
5. infinity (Jungle Rain)
6. naga viper (Jungle Rain)
7. orange habanero
8. 7 pot douglah

With my limited growing space, I only have room for 2 more pepper varieties. Please suggest and convince me of 2 that I absolutely need to add to my garden! Thank you.

I would skip growing the orange habs - you can get those in most grocery stores. Maybe replace it with a Scotch Bonnet variety? I'm with Bravesfan on the Fatalii.

i would do a red 7 pot, and skip the orange hab. 7 pot red has the best flavor in my opinion, and my limited experience. better than bhut jolokia, better than scorpion, better than naga morich. a fruity flavor. delicious, but killer heat as well.

I would choose Donne Sali! :P

Grows big and is very prolific!

9-1-11DonneSali.jpg

And its my favorite pepper! :D

:cool:
Kevin

I like the Bhut and I am not a big fan of the orange Hab. I have some Fataliis that just sprouted a week or so ago but I don't have any exp with them. Don't know about the others.

I'm planning on about 8-12 plants growing this fall/winter under a 600w lamp.

I would actually say as well that instead of the orange hab, grow a caribbean red, great heat, fruity spicy flavor, hardy plant that is very prolific.

PM me about an SASBE if you are interested as I have a few seeds that I could shoot you.

The question I would ask is what would you use them for? If you want to make Jerk marinade, grow Scotch Bonnets. If you want to make kimchi, grow Gochus. What's the point in growing something unless you plan to use it?

You need a yellow pepper too. Yellow 7 pot! Thats my suggestion. And i agree about dissing the orange habs. To many better tasting choices, especially if your local grocery store carries them. I really like red or chocolate habs so much better.
Ga GH

fatalii

great heat, great flavor, great color, prolific

Seems to be one of the favorites on thp

Ah I forgot that one! Thanks for reminding me.

I would skip growing the orange habs - you can get those in most grocery stores. Maybe replace it with a Scotch Bonnet variety? I'm with Bravesfan on the Fatalii.

I'm growing the orange hab to make mango habanero sauce. You have a good point though since I can easily buy them at the store. I will consider the scotch bonnet. Thanks

i would do a red 7 pot, and skip the orange hab. 7 pot red has the best flavor in my opinion, and my limited experience. better than bhut jolokia, better than scorpion, better than naga morich. a fruity flavor. delicious, but killer heat as well.

Wow another suggestion to skip the orange hab. Okay, I'll leave that one out, but now it leaves me with 3 open pepper plots to grow. Hmm! lol

I would choose Donne Sali! :P

Grows big and is very prolific!

And its my favorite pepper! :D

:cool:
Kevin

That pepper looks pretty cool. Know where I can find a good reliable source?

I like the Bhut and I am not a big fan of the orange Hab.

Alright alright, I've decided to not grow the orange hab, lol. Since it's readily available and cheap at the market.

I would actually say as well that instead of the orange hab, grow a caribbean red, great heat, fruity spicy flavor, hardy plant that is very prolific.

Caribbean red sounds like a good one! I like hardy plants since I live in zone 5. And yes orange hab has been crossed off the list.

The question I would ask is what would you use them for? If you want to make Jerk marinade, grow Scotch Bonnets. If you want to make kimchi, grow Gochus. What's the point in growing something unless you plan to use it?

I want to do all of that! Esp after seeing your grow log. Gochus and scotch bonnets it is!

You need a yellow pepper too. Yellow 7 pot! Thats my suggestion. And i agree about dissing the orange habs. To many better tasting choices, especially if your local grocery store carries them. I really like red or chocolate habs so much better.
Ga GH

That's a great idea. I'll try to include a yellow 7 pot or fatalii.

For what it's worth... I asked around too, and the suggestion to include yellow Trinidad Scorpion or yellow 7 Pot was unanimous. The 7 Pot is a variant of the Scorpion so the taste is pretty similar. Since you're growing up north you might want to check out the Maya Red Habanero. It's distributed by High Mowing Seed co of Wolcott, VT. They say it has a 90 day growing season as compared to the Orange Hab with 100 days. Scotch Bonnet pods mature in about 60 days after setting fruit, so they're closer to the Orange Habs for growing times.

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/organic-seeds-maya-red-habenero.html

They're currently out of stock, but will hopefully have more by January.

No cayenne in the mix???
No Wild Brazil, Bolivian Rainbow, or Limon?
Boonies (Donne Sali) or Thai Dragon are a good choice, as are a limon or wild Brazil.

I have a bunch of supers growing, and a load more for spring, but sometimes a nice tasty hot pepper is all I want (rarely), and really don't want a burn.

A nice tasty fresh-off-the-plant-for-munching-right-now, without the need for a challenge, video camera, timer, and quart of milk.

No cayenne in the mix???
No Wild Brazil, Bolivian Rainbow, or Limon?
Boonies (Donne Sali) or Thai Dragon are a good choice, as are a limon or wild Brazil.

I have a bunch of supers growing, and a load more for spring, but sometimes a nice tasty hot pepper is all I want (rarely), and really don't want a burn.

A nice tasty fresh-off-the-plant-for-munching-right-now, without the need for a challenge, video camera, timer, and quart of milk.
I'm with you... I'll be growing a few superhots and Scotch Bonnets, but I also want Mexican Annuums for salsas and chili powder, and Koreans for making kimchi. Korean Gochu peppers are an aromatic Cayenne-type with mild to medium heat... roughly between a hot Paprika and a Jalapeno.

Definitely agree on a yellow Trinidad variety. Either 7 Pot, Yellow Brain, or Yellow TSMB. Almost as hot as their red bretheren, but to me they are much more flavorful.

I'd also consider either a lemon drop or Aji lemon for another yellow alternative - they have a nice citrusy heat that is great with seafood or chicken and produce a load of peppers per plant !

Wow I totally forgot about this thread. Just an update, I did go with Yellow 7 Pots and Yellow Scotch Bonnets.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Back