• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Help Me Find A New City To Live In

After much grinding of teeth, we are more ready than ever to get out of this city if we can.

I am now unemployed, so now's a good time to act instead of talk.

I'm looking for work in Austin, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans, and (with my wife's grudging approval) DFW.

AJ, what is a REAL commute time/grief factor for living in FTW, and working in Dallas? Let's just say downtown to get an average.

We're gonna rent this place (anyone want to rent a place in Austin in a good school district? :)), and rent wherever we go.

Gotta get on out. If anyone has work for a marketer/events manager/comm director/small biz developer in those towns (or maybe Albuquerque or Asheville), then I'm all over it.

I need to learn more about FTW, AJ. I may write you.

After much grinding of teeth, we are more ready than ever to get out of this city if we can.

I am now unemployed, so now's a good time to act instead of talk.

I'm looking for work in Austin, Raleigh-Durham, New Orleans, and (with my wife's grudging approval) DFW.

AJ, what is a REAL commute time/grief factor for living in FTW, and working in Dallas? Let's just say downtown to get an average.

We're gonna rent this place (anyone want to rent a place in Austin in a good school district? :)), and rent wherever we go.

Gotta get on out. If anyone has work for a marketer/events manager/comm director/small biz developer in those towns (or maybe Albuquerque or Asheville), then I'm all over it.

I need to learn more about FTW, AJ. I may write you.

traffic from Fort Worth to Dallas is getting worse and slower every day it seems...those fools in Dallas are the most road-rage ready folks I have ever seen IMO...45 minute on an average day...the problem is there are only a couple of ways to go from Fort Worth to Downtown Dallas and all suck...again...my opinion..

When we built our house in far west Fort Worth...proximity to work and being as far as possible from Dallas was our goal...so we moved to within 6 miles of Lockheed and don't have to contend with any big freeway traffic...all back roads, uncrowded and easy to drive, plus you will findthe drivers inFort Worth a lot more courteous than in Dallas...

Dallas is a New York/Los Angeles/Chicago wannabe so I say lettum have all the other stuff that goes with big city life...piss on 'em...

If you know where you will work...my recommendation is to buy/build/rent as close to your work place as possible...Dallas' mass transit system is getting better each day if you are into commuter trains...

I can get really opinionated if you message me and I can talk more freely... :rofl:

We looked into relocating to AZ Given that we would have had to sell our home for twice what it was worth to afford to buy the equivalent there and the dust storms,etc it just wouldn't have been worth it. Charles has emphysema, we have good insurance and medical services here plus children, grandkids and great grands. All good reasons for staying put. Sometimes not moving is the best thing but we live in a small town of under 5,000. Driving to other towns for shopping is still more reasonable than moving.

There's always AL....Birmingham, Huntsville, Tuscaloosa (although its still a disaster from the tornadoes at the moment)

There's always AL....Birmingham, Huntsville, Tuscaloosa (although its still a disaster from the tornadoes at the moment)

We've thought about Huntsville, but it just seems too 'square' for us. Raleigh-Durham is borderline, for reference. But my perception may be FAR from reality. I've never been to Huntsville or Tuscaloosa, and it's been years since I was in Birmingham.

What do you mean by "square"? Also I wouldn't suggest Birmingham itself, but the suburbs of hoover, vestavia, gardendale (where I live), pelham

What do you mean by "square"? Also I wouldn't suggest Birmingham itself, but the suburbs of hoover, vestavia, gardendale (where I live), pelham

I mean considerably more conservative in dress, attitudes and worldview than where I live now. :)

Again, I may be way off, but that was the vibe I got from reading online and hitting the city-data forums.

I mean considerably more conservative in dress, attitudes and worldview than where I live now. :)

Again, I may be way off, but that was the vibe I got from reading online and hitting the city-data forums.

man, if I was gonna move, it would definitely be back down south to La, Ms, Al, or Fl...the gulf coast rocks for growing things...but with any place the down side is the high humidity levels that most plants love and most humans hate...

What kind of work are you looking for...if you said, I missed it...

Neither of us mind the humidity too much, AJ. I'm from Houston, she's from Miami, so it's not foreign to us.

But we DO care about amenities and relaxed views of, um, 'personal liberties', both literally and figuratively.

I'm in marketing(online and traditional, brand management)/events management/public affairs/member retention and growth (for member-based businesses or non-profits).

Thanks for the PM, by the way. I'll contact you here sometime later this week when I have some time away from the kiddos.

check out the area around Mobile...then you will only be a few miles from the Florabama Lounge...you can't get much more laid back than life on Perdido Key...if you do, make sure you check the elevation of your land and proximity to the water...hurricanes don't play..

Mobile is a historic town (last city to surrender at the end of the War of Northern Aggression), lots of stuff to do there...the gulf in is your back yard and if you hunt, some of the best big deer hunting in the states is just a few miles north of you in the Alabama River Swamps up around Chrysler, mild seasons, plenty of rainfall (usually), long grow season, close enough to New Orleans to drive over and have a day of fun then drive home afterwards if you haven't had too many toddy's...white sand beaches on Daulphin Island and a ferry across the chanel to Fort Morgan of Faragut's sayin' "Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" very close to the sugar sand between Pensacola and Panama City...University of South Alabama there, Springhill College, and food...lord have mercy on my soul...some of the best cuisine I have ever tasted over the years...

oops...ramblin' again...

Back