• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Help Me Find A New City To Live In

Our family is considering a move out of ATX, which seems to be WAY against the flow of traffic, which for us, is kind of the point.

Twenty years ago, we loved this town. It was carefree and a bit strange. Cowboys, punks, hippies and yuppies all made for a fascinating mix of culture and politics.

We could move freely via automobile, generally avoid crime, live comfortably on average salaries, and not worry too much about planning ahead for entertainment and leisure.

For better and worse, those days are behind us. Traffic is snarled, many of our old haunts have been razed, you can't get a table at your old standby restaurant, and things are beginning to look more and more homogeneous in entertainment districts.

But this is not an indictment of Austin, it's a REALLY long request for folks to lend a hand to find out where folks think there's a place out there that is *sort of* similar to Austin 20+ years ago. Or for that matter, if you've been to Austin recently, how Austin 'feels', but on a smaller scale.

We demand tolerance of a city. Not in a PC kind of way. In a leave us alone and we'll leave you alone kind. Go to church four times a week? Great. Have full sleeves and a collar with plugs and a submissive boyfriend. Fantastic. Just don't preach you to me, and I'm happy to call you neighbor and have a coffee or a beer with you.

We want good food availability, including organic produce and meats, decent local/regional restaurant options. Local/regional fresh seafood if at all possible. And as it pertains to this forum, I want a place to let my garden grow. Either that or cost of living good enough to build myself a nice fat greenhouse/growroom. :)

We don't mind a little traffic in a commute, but if it consumes planning even on the weekends, then we don't want in. We're looking at places that are metro areas of 600,000 to 1,000,000 or so, give or take.

We like cities that care about planning enough to still have standing trees after development (Houston and Jacksonville need not apply), but don't suffocate development (and especially downtown re-development) with petty neighborhood association pressure.

We want a comparable cost-of-living to Austin, which is still respectable, but rising quickly.

And we'd like some place that enjoys celebrating in the form of festivals throughout the year. If at least some of those are family friendly, then that's fantastic.

We don't like bitter cold (Minnesota, New England, Upper Midwest, Upper Mid-Atlantic), but aren't afraid of 'true' seasons (Lower Midwest/Middle South).

Employment is still necessary, but only for one of us. The other is working mobile and can do it anywhere there is an internet connection. We have some flexibility here.

Education is important. We have two children and we aren't afraid of them going to public school, but we want one where parents still give a damn. Private school is certainly an option as well, depending on cost of living and location.

One of us was born and raised in the South (Savannah/Atlanta/Florida), and the other on the cusp of the South and Southwest (Houston/Austin). We have collectively lived in Brooklyn, Kansas City, Miami and throughout Central Texas.

We aren't really concerned about culture shock, *except* when it comes to activities and access to goods mentioned above.

I know. A lot to ask, but we're ready to move along and here are some that we're considering.

Is where you live a candidate? :D

I would suggest New Orleans (or outlying areas i.e. WestBank, St. Bernard or Plaquemine parishes) Memphis or St. Louis if you're looking for Metro areas.

I would suggest New Orleans (or outlying areas i.e. WestBank, St. Bernard or Plaquemine parishes) Memphis or St. Louis if you're looking for Metro areas.

Thanks, hotstuff. Interestingly enough, Memphis and NO are on our short list. We have some concerns about crime rates there (we are spoiled here), but St. Louis is a new idea. I've heard that they and Cleveland are experiencing renaissances of sorts. Cleveland is too far north for us, but we may peek at St. Louis.

Clearly you're of Acadian descent of some sort. Did you spend time living in NO, or just know it well?

I grew up in Slidell across the lake. My family's been there since 1725. St. Louis has lots of neighborhood restaurants in the City proper, i.e. the Hill(Italian).

I personally wouldn't live in N.O. proper. Maybe St. Bernard or Plaquemines Parishes

If I were to move to another city it would probably be Portland, Oregon. I've been there many times and it's a great city.

I grew up in Slidell across the lake. My family's been there since 1725. St. Louis has lots of neighborhood restaurants in the City proper, i.e. the Hill(Italian).

I personally wouldn't live in N.O. proper. Maybe St. Bernard or Plaquemines Parishes

Thanks again hs. Definitely gonna investigate more. Just looked it up and NO isn't as warm as I had suspected. Humid, I'm sure. But growing up in Houston and Miami respectively, my wife and I are amused at folks moving to Austin and remarking of the humidity here. :)

If I were to move to another city it would probably be Portland, Oregon. I've been there many times and it's a great city.

Portland is an amazing city. But too gloomy for too long and too expensive for us, unfortunately. We have spent many fine days of our lives there, though and we love it.

Portland, Oregon is great. There are those gloomy days, but Summers are very nice! There may not be a city which matches all your criteria - perhaps narrow your list down to a few "must haves", and the rest would be frosting on the cake.

Scratches head...

New Orleans, aside from the small lot sizes near/in the city, is looking more and more appealing to us.

That's only if you decide to live in the city. If you don't mind a 30 min. drive you can probably find some nice land in St. Bernard parish or Plaquemine's on the West Bank.

You might be able to buy multiple cheap homes in the 9th ward and buy a whole block. While it used to be crime infested, most of the criminals moved to Houston or Atlanta. And you could live close to Fats Domino. :)

That's only if you decide to live in the city. If you don't mind a 30 min. drive you can probably find some nice land in St. Bernard parish or Plaquemine's on the West Bank.

You might be able to buy multiple cheap homes in the 9th ward and buy a whole block. While it used to be crime infested, most of the criminals moved to Houston or Atlanta. And you could live close to Fats Domino. :)

lol. I'm not about to embark on a one-man redevelopment project. That being said, we want to be a hell of a lot closer than 1/2 an hour away. We're about 20 minutes outside Austin now, and we'd prefer to be closer. Always a double-edged sword. We're looking at Orleans Parish homes now, but trying to get educated about neighborhoods.

We haven't ruled out other cities, either. Albuquerque, Hunstville and a few other outliers are still on 'the list'.

Try Australia, Perth is Awesome, Long hot summers, warm temperate winters, Long white beaches, Great chilli growing weather.

Try Australia, Perth is Awesome, Long hot summers, warm temperate winters, Long white beaches, Great chilli growing weather.

I might prove my ignorance here, but am I wrong in assuming that me obtaining livable work will be difficult if not impossible given that I'm not a citizen? I know NZ is a little more flexible on this.

Costa Rica and Trinidad were on our short list, too (and Mexico was our first choice, before they started sewing peoples faces on soccer balls), but one of us is still going to require a 'brick and mortar' job of some sort.

BTW, sg, I am now officially intrigued. I'm pretty damn sure it's an unreasonable jump for cost of living (housing, in particular, looks vicious compared to here) reasons and visa nightmares. I could be wrong. Reading more now.

The climate is right up our alley. My wife misses the beaches she grew up with. The city is big enough and offers all the amenities we crave and more. No language barriers.

lol. I'm not about to embark on a one-man redevelopment project. That being said, we want to be a hell of a lot closer than 1/2 an hour away. We're about 20 minutes outside Austin now, and we'd prefer to be closer. Always a double-edged sword. We're looking at Orleans Parish homes now, but trying to get educated about neighborhoods.

We haven't ruled out other cities, either. Albuquerque, Hunstville and a few other outliers are still on 'the list'.

If you must live in the city proper and you have the money, I'd go lakefront, lakeview, westend. You can always buy two lots/houses and use one for the Garden. Then there is the eastside, south of I-10 where the football players live.

If you must live in the city proper and you have the money, I'd go lakefront, lakeview, westend. You can always buy two lots/houses and use one for the Garden. Then there is the eastside, south of I-10 where the football players live.

Thanks, hs. I have temporarily shaken off the notion of an Australian junket for fear of bankruptcy. :D

Back to the grindstone on safer NO 'hoods.

your description sounds like Fort Worth...to me it does anyway...but remember, Fort Worth ain't Dallas...

It took me 40 years to find Fort Worth but it was well worth the wait...

Cheaper than Austin and a hell of a lot nicer than Dallas/Houston

thats my 2 cents

Back