• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

help me select the best superhots

start with the most important:

bhut jolokia red and yellow
trinidad scorpion butch T red and yellow
7 pod red
7 pod primo red
carolina reaper
moruga red and Yellow
jay's ghost scorpion red and peach

the others superhot next season ;)

pepperguy1 said:
I was pissed at my own self and I have no wife.
This made me laugh out loud. 

I had a similar experience with my first box of superhots at 1:30 AM. Got it on my cheek. Tried to get it off the cheek. In the process, got it in my eyes. Nose ran like a faucet & tears poured out for 20 minutes.
arrgh said:

Carolina Reaper

Trinidad Scorpion Moruga (Yellow)

Trinidad Douglah

White Fatalii 
Yellow Fatalii

(MOA) Scotch Bonnet

7 pod red hell collection

original, brain, barrack, primo, jonah

ultimate bhut collection

Red Bhut Jolokia
Brown Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Indian Carbon Jolokia
White Jolokia
Bih Jolokias 

I am also a noob, but have done a lot of reading hear & elsewhere, have sampled a good number of pods & have collected a bunch of seeds. I think you will be very satisfied with that list. There's always that "one more" pepper, but looks like a good list to me.

Peter S said:
You might want to consider adding a Fatalii to the mix. The heat seems way hotter than the Scoville rating suggests. They are prolific and early producers too. 
I agree. I ate a fatalii whole and the heat is no longer heat. Its pain. All pain on the back half of your tongue.

arrgh said:

For those interested, I ended with

Carolina Reaper

Trinidad Douglah

White Fatalii 
Yellow Fatalii

(MOA) Scotch Bonnet

ultimate bhut collection

Red Bhut Jolokia
Brown Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Indian Carbon Jolokia
White Jolokia
Bih Jolokias 

i think you will be very happy with that, although you may get tired of all those bhuts!
i think many of us have looked at her site and ended up ordering 2x what we needed lol.(i asked for no freebies even lol(she still gave me a couple uhg))

arrgh said:

Yes. I know all about that. If my wife ever divorces me, peppers will defiantly be mentioned in court.  We just had an incident last week. I very carefully added an extract to my chile. The next day my wife had it all over her face and nose. I swear I didn't spill any, but the circumstantial evidence was pretty damning :)

I just placed my order. I was looking for 4 varieties. I ended up getting 18! SInce pepperlover.com is known to give allot of freebies, I could end up with 24 varieties, with only room for 24 plants. And I definitely want more than 1 of some of them.  I have no idea where I'm planting them all, but I expect my wife's flowers might suffer from an unexplained weed-eater accident 

I tried to order using the information from this thread but allot of the ones I wanted were out of stock. Specifically jays peach ghost/scorpion, 7pod burgundy, and sb7j caught my attention but weren't available. 

I ended up with way to many reds. .But that is what was in stock. Its mostly just an  aesthetic issue anyway.

For those interested, I ended with

Carolina Reaper

Trinidad Douglah

White Fatalii 
Yellow Fatalii

(MOA) Scotch Bonnet

ultimate bhut collection

Red Bhut Jolokia
Brown Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Indian Carbon Jolokia
White Jolokia
Bih Jolokias 

Very nice!  I like the ultimate bhut collection selection.  Are you going to keep a glog in 2015?  I'd be curious how they turn out for you...

juanitos said:

i think you will be very happy with that, although you may get tired of all those bhuts!
i think many of us have looked at her site and ended up ordering 2x what we needed lol.(i asked for no freebies even lol(she still gave me a couple uhg))
I shouldn't get bored of the bhuts. Since the absolute most I can plant outside is 1 each. I want at least 5 scotch bonnetts (since thats the only one I'm able to eat fresh), and 3 of the reaper,maruga, and Douglah.  Even stealing room, 30 plants is the max I can put out, so I suspect a few bhuts, and a couple 7 pods won't make the cut.

Spicegeist said:

Very nice!  I like the ultimate bhut collection selection.  Are you going to keep a glog in 2015?  I'd be curious how they turn out for you...
I doubt I will do a glog.  My equipment(and funds to buy) are almost non existent, my indoor space is low, and my knowledge is just as bad.  I hope to fix the knowledge problem by studying here. But I will always have to do everything in the cheapest way possible.  

Basically my confidence of success is low, and I would be embarrassed to post pics of my slowly murdering my peppers.  I will take pictures as I go, for my own use.  Maybe if I end up with great plants I will post an after the fact picture series. ;)

arrgh said:
I shouldn't get bored of the bhuts. Since the absolute most I can plant outside is 1 each. I want at least 5 scotch bonnetts (since thats the only one I'm able to eat fresh), and 3 of the reaper,maruga, and Douglah.  Even stealing room, 30 plants is the max I can put out, so I suspect a few bhuts, and a couple 7 pods won't make the cut.

I doubt I will do a glog.  My equipment(and funds to buy) are almost non existent, my indoor space is low, and my knowledge is just as bad.  I hope to fix the knowledge problem by studying here. But I will always have to do everything in the cheapest way possible.  

Basically my confidence of success is low, and I would be embarrassed to post pics of my slowly murdering my peppers.  I will take pictures as I go, for my own use.  Maybe if I end up with great plants I will post an after the fact picture series. ;)

I hear you, but you'll get better as time goes on.  It might be fun for you to look back and see how bad you messed up ;)
btw, I use the camera on my pre-paid phone to take pics...

arrgh said:

So I figured if I grew all superhots I would have the heat taken care of for the year, I would only need to buy some cheaper  peppers for bulk.  

I've learned the opposite. Too many superhots plants were useless to me, for me it makes more sense producing more "cheaper" peppers that produce faster/easier and grow a couple superhots just for the novelty of new (or supposedly 'new') varieties.
You can easily buy a pack of superhot powder or dried pods from THP folks if needed.
The ultimate bhut collection is nice though ;)

Good luck

Datil

Datil said:

I've learned the opposite. Too many superhots plants were useless to me, for me it makes more sense producing more "cheaper" peppers that produce faster/easier and grow a couple superhots just for the novelty of new (or supposedly 'new') varieties.
You can easily buy a pack of superhot powder or dried pods from THP folks if needed.
The ultimate bhut collection is nice though ;)

Good luck

Datil
You make an interesting point if all you do is eat fresh peppers but I'd have to concur with arrgh (cool name). In limited space, go for the superhots especially if your budget is minimal. You can always mellow out with bell peppers or a variety of fruits depending on what you're making. There are lots of ways to store or preserve peppers so you don't lose any when they all ripen at the same time.
Just sayin... :P

Back