• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help me sort out this mess

My growing list has been ...growing lately and now I'm faced with a couple of dilemmas.
1.) what is just not going to get planted this year
2.) what peculiarities of the peppers I've never grown before do I need to take into account when planting in garden, containers etc.

The overall plan is to have at least 3 of each type. 1 goes in the ground, 1 goes in a container in case it floods this year, and at least 1 spare that may be given away.
I also may want to try some varieties in hanging baskets rather than staking them. Cayenne for example.

So what is going to "take over the garden" and what is well suited to a container or basket?
Which ones are super-prolific?
Which ones take an incredibly long time to harvest?
Is there something on my "extras" list that should be upgraded to "todo"?

FAMILIAR with these:
jal (2 vars harvest, breeding)
purple jal (trade)
red bell (market - canada, mexico)
greek pepperoncini (purchase and harvest)
Hot wax (harvest)
peruvian White hab (harvest)
Orange hab (harvest)
cayenne (harvest)

NEW for THIS YEAR:
long choc hab (trade)
caribbean red (trade)
chile deArbol (market, dried)
superchilli (trade)
hawaiian sweet hot (trade)
thai, non-specific (trade)
tabasco (trade)
lemon drop - hab? (trade)
aji limon (trade)

(todo)
lemon drop - bac? (trade)
black wax (trade)
wenks yellow (free)
aji amarillo mirasol (free)
black scorpion tongue (free)
fresno (market)

(extras)
choc bell (trade)
purple bell (harvest)
garden leader blue chili (trade)
strwberry pimento (trade)
chapeau de fraude (free)
3 misc pubescens (free)
1 misc baccatum (free)

I have some more seeds en route but I'll deal with that later.

The one time I grew a long chocolate hab it was tall, over 4 feet, and very long season.

Caribbean Red is a short for a hab, only getting 2 to 2 1/2 feet or so. I've never tried to grow it in a container, but I don't see why you couldn't.

Lemon Drop is very bushy and prolific, and will do well in a 5 gallon container. It's a baccatuum

The Wenks Yellow I grew was a scraggly ass plant that was extremely prolific. It would probably do well in a container because it's a smaller plant.

My chapeau de fraude, or Bishop's Hat was a tall, sprawling plant. Last year was the first time I grew it, but I think it would take a large container if you wanted to grow it that way.

Pam said:
My chapeau de fraude, or Bishop's Hat was a tall, sprawling plant. Last year was the first time I grew it, but I think it would take a large container if you wanted to grow it that way.

Thanks!

Did you like it? It's one of my 'maybe next year' choices right now.

caroltlw said:
Thanks!

Did you like it? It's one of my 'maybe next year' choices right now.

It's a fun pepper to grow. Everybody notices it and asks about it. And it's another pepper that I like because it's so easy to stuff and grill.

If I'm not mistaken Bishops Hat is also a Baccatuum. It is my wifes all time favorite pepper because all you do is cut the top off and stuff. Mild heat and like Pam says everybody want to know about it because of its cool shape.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
If I'm not mistaken Bishops Hat is also a Baccatuum. It is my wifes all time favorite pepper because all you do is cut the top off and stuff. Mild heat and like Pam says everybody want to know about it because of its cool shape.

Yes, it is a baccatuum, and it comes under lots of different names.
Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Ubatuba Cambuci, Aji Flor,and Orchid are the ones listed by thechileman.org.

OK, my germination area is freed up from all that group plant stuff (except the germ test experiment I'm running) so I've planted seeds for the following:

lemon drop - baccatum (6)
wenks yellow (5)
aji amarillo mirasol (5)
black scorpion tongue (5)
chapeau de fraude (5)
fresno (6x2)
black wax - (6)

Whew!

I'm also waiting on the choc habs to pop. The same tray has already given me 6 aji limon and 3 thai which are in cups now.

[edit]
oh yeah, and I repotted one of my white habs to fresh soil with perlite. Let's see if it grows out better than its twin.

Carol,I grew several lemon drops last year in Florida.They had a sprawling habit and did fine in 3 gallon pots or less.Just cut them back severely after harvest and you will get another harvest.They're great dried as a seasoning and great in a bottle with some sherry for marinades,splashing ing soups,chowder.

Carol...here is my take on the following that are on your new list...I grew everything in 5 gallon nursery containers (read 4 gallon) last year

NEW for THIS YEAR:

caribbean red (trade) - did not grow well for me last year and don't know why....unless it was seed stock...the Red Savinas growing next to them produced like mad...

superchilli (trade) - was a very prolific plant producing an abundance of 1-1.5" bullet shaped peppers that grew erect...I had three plants and I ended up with 3 or 4 quart freezer bags full of dehydrated peppers...pretty good heat a little hotter than a cayenne...they make a beautiful red powder..

tabasco (trade) - I grew Avery Island stock (from PRF) and some from NMSU CPI...the Avery Island stock grew huge and produced tons...I had 13 of these last year but won't have more than 3 or 4 this year for all the tabasco peppers I want/need...great producers of slim .75-1" peppers starting yellowish and turning orange to red when ripe...they make a wonderful pepper sauce (simply peppers with boiling vinegar poured over them) to put on turnip greens and such. I picked yellow/orange/red peppers and canned them and they make very pretty jars.

aji limon (trade) - very prolific pepper with a good taste and did well in full sun for me...

Thanks for all the input!

Looks like I picked a bunch of prolific ones. I'm thinking of doing 1 ea of the sprawling types in hanging baskets and letting them roam free.
Most of the container plants will be in 3 gal pots which is what I used last year. I even got some bells that way but I'm sure they would have done better in the ground with a consistent water supply.
I've read the aji amarillo can get huge so I should reserve an extra large container for the portable version of it.

Make sure those are very large hanging baskets. A Lemon Drop pepper would be very unhappy in an average size hanging basket.

scoville said:
Carol,I grew several lemon drops last year in Florida.They had a sprawling habit and did fine in 3 gallon pots or less.Just cut them back severely after harvest and you will get another harvest.They're great dried as a seasoning and great in a bottle with some sherry for marinades,splashing ing soups,chowder.

Hm, I never cut mine back, and they produce steadily right up until frost. They don't all ripen at once, so were you stripping everything off the bush, small green, large green, and ripe?

Pam said:
Make sure those are very large hanging baskets. A Lemon Drop pepper would be very unhappy in an average size hanging basket.

Yeah, I have to decide on what I'm gonna use for that. I may just make some type of pedestal for the container so they can hang down. But that might invite curious squirrels who think there's a new tree to climb... ?

I've grown all types of peppers in containers, but the PI 497974 (bishop's crown, peri peri, turk's turban etc.) can be tricky due to the sprawling nature of the plant and the weight of the pods. I've grown and loved these for years and its nice to see a milder pepper becoming so popular. I like to think that a few years of my cheese stuffed pepper pics helped contribute to this popularity:)
As for the Caribbean red, I generally have the same poor results as AJ and also get massive red savinas.
The Fresnos I'd definitely grow. They are one of my favs, but for some reason I decided not to grow any this year. They usually produce quite well for me and the have a great flavor and nice heat (although you probably know this since your source is market)
The thai plants are usually very productive, their flavor is good, and they dry very nicely making nice mini ristras or powder
The superchili is not my favorite for taste, but the production of these plants can seem unreal, and they can also be dried for decorative purposes

caroltlw said:
Yeah, I have to decide on what I'm gonna use for that. I may just make some type of pedestal for the container so they can hang down. But that might invite curious squirrels who think there's a new tree to climb... ?

Have you considered trying the upside-down(or topsy turvey) planters? I've had some good results.

POTAWIE said:
Have you considered trying the upside-down(or topsy turvey) planters? I've had some good results.

you beat me to it P...I was going to suggest the topsy turvy type thingy...

I will have 4 plants in them this year...two peppers and two tomatos...

I was wondering what i need to do to my seeds(if anything)before i put them into the trays for germination? Just to name a few: White lightning Hab, Czech Black chili, Peter pepper, and of course Bhut Jolokia?

POTAWIE said:

Yeah, I guess I'm trying to do something like that without having to pay $35 for a bag and a hanger. Also thinking about a trellis system of some kind for fruit support.

re:
"I like to think that a few years of my cheese stuffed pepper pics helped contribute to this popularity..."

Absolutely!

Back