• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help my poor jalapeno...

Hello I made an account on this forum because I have searched everywhere on the internet and have found no answer. This is the first time I have grown any plant at atll actually, amd it doesn't seem to be going well! When it got a lot bigger it started to become droopy... Now the leaves are very limp! Please can anyone tell me... Is it gonna die? Here is picture.

You should give some details here. Did you bought the plant? How often are you watering? Do you grow inside or outside? As 8 5  asked, the bucket have drainage holes? And the bucket , is a tin bucket?

Ocho Cinco said:
Welcome!
Does that bucket have drainage holes?

rghm1u20 said:
You should give some details here. Did you bought the plant? How often are you watering? Do you grow inside or outside? As 8 5  asked, the bucket have drainage holes? And the bucket , is a tin bucket?
what they said.     

sicman said:
what they said.
the bucket has many drainage holes, and the soil is very well drained. I was wondering, does it look healthy to you? Also i water when the soil is dry, putting half in the dish and pour the rest on the surface. I also miles in a little bonemeal for food when I moved it up from its first pot. It's about 5 inches tall now and has begun to form tiny flower buds. Also to add I have grown it from a seed

That's not an ideal watering method, and appearance is not a good indicator of dryness. How you water depends on the size of the plant and container, and whether the plant is kept indoors or outdoors. And, btw, you should find a non-metal container for it. Since you are container gardening, one of the best methods to use is the weight method - simply lift the pot a tad off the surface it's on and get a feel for the weight. The plant appears to want water at this point. It needs a good soaking. If the plant is indoors, try bottom-watering - fill a sink or bucket with water, then dip the pot in, without letting the soil surface become wet. Otherwise, run water from the top, allowing the water to run freely from the holes before turning the water off. Once it's thoroughly watered and most of the runoff has stopped, lift the pot and judge the weight - notice how much heavier it is after watering than it was before watering. This weight difference is what you want to go for. To know if it's dry enough before watering the first few times, you should let the leaves droop just a tad and then water. However, with practice using the weight method, you will begin to know when it's time to water before the leaves droop.

But does it look like its gonna die? What should I whatch out for? Is it sick already? Do you think it will be ok? Also the wilting is worse in the morning and evening. I just filled up a deep tray with water, hopefully it should absorb that.

No, it's not going to die. Other than needing to be watered, it looks pretty healthy. If it's putting on buds, it thinks it's healthy, too. You may also want to make sure it get's plenty of light. That picture looks like an indoor grow. Can you move it outside and give it more sun? A few hours in the morning for a couple of weeks before it's ready for all day sun....

Feel the leaves as well, my jalapeño plants have not just droopy leaves when they need a good soaking, they also get soft instead of hard.
Your plant looks kinda smallish to me.

Buzz said:
No, it's not going to die. Other than needing to be watered, it looks pretty healthy. If it's putting on buds, it thinks it's healthy, too. You may also want to make sure it get's plenty of light. That picture looks like an indoor grow. Can you move it outside and give it more sun? A few hours in the morning for a couple of weeks before it's ready for all day sun....
 I ensure it gets good sunlight by putting it on an east facing window in the morning, and after midday I switch it to a west facing window. Plus if I put it outside, it would get eaten by my rabbits pretty much straight away XD also I think it is a bout 1 and thre quarters of a month old, I can't remember.
Bhut_Trolokia said:
Feel the leaves as well, my jalapeño plants have not just droopy leaves when they need a good soaking, they also get soft instead of hard.Your plant looks kinda smallish to me.
yes in the morning and evenening this happens. I've gave it lots of water so hopefully by tomorrow I will see improvement   
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Plant looks fine, cut off the 4 largest leaves and watch miracles occur :)
why should I do that? Cutting off a plants hard work sounds like a bad idea...

I'm pretty sure ol Chris here... AKA Joyner's Hot Pepper Powders.... knows what he's talking about.

You're watering wrong. Don't use a dish, let the water actually leave once it soaks through the soil. That and peppers normally droop a bit in the evening.

Jalapeno growing noob said:
wow very impressive growing operation yoy got there! I wont beable to do that, i live in the uk and it is too rainy and colf for outside chillies for sure.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Head over to the GLOG section, amazing growers here.

My plants are doing OK but should really kick in soon!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44808-joyners-hot-pepper-powders-2014-glog/
wow very impressive growing operation yoy got there! I wont beable to do that, i live in the uk and it is too often rainy and windy. Not suitable for the little guy haha. Thanyou for the advise everyone! I feel more positive about it now, hopefully I will get a few nice spicy jalapenos to turn into jalapeno poppers eh :) lol its bareley grown and I aalready have a recipe in mind

"Don't use a dish"

No dish while indoors? 

@OP

Did you start it from seed in that container or was this a recent'ish transfer?

Back