• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Help, One of the meanest pest I have ever fought

Well the biger problem is were to put the trap, i dont know were they are going to tunnel up at, and they only come up at night time, Like I say there is a water table below my land. I have strawberries, lettuce, radishes, squash, corn and a lot more stuff, so I cant put all of it in Pots,

Now this is quite common around my area, and around the black land areas you will see the mounds of dirt all over the place. It really makes it hard to water my garden cause I have to fill up the damn crawdad holes up with water, before I can get the rows good and wet....

Oh well theres all ways something different to make for interesting day, week, month, and year, when you dont know were a new hole is,,,,
I GUESS THIS MIGHT BE CALLED THE NEW COONASS AERATION TOOL :crazy: Thanks for the input and feed back

Buy some ladybugs :)
I know that they are very good for the garden but the crawdads have some big ass pinchers,,, not much of a fight

Raised beds filled with compost, the mudbugs won't be able to build tunnels because the compost will collapse back into the hole, they prefer a clay based soil and a high water table. When I was a kid we used to coax them out of their holes with a piece of bacon on a string dangled into the opening. Normally theres one bug per hole.

MMMM,everything is better with Bacon. :)

Might try putting a few large coffee cans around that are buried in the ground with chicken or fish scraps in them.
They smell the bait and fall in,can't get out.

Some in the water traps are about the same thing.
Chicken wire that sticks up out of the water a few inches with bait in it.
Small dads can come and go the bigger ones pile up inside looking for a free meal.

I raised crawdads for a while and they loved Chicken and Mackerel best.

Is Paris, TX in the Red River valley? I visited a friend in Shreveport once and saw what you were talking about. Never heard of land-based crayfish before that. If you fish, I'd +1 on using them for Bass bait. Especially with Smallmouth. If not, maybe the least destructive way to get rid of them is to fill the hole with dirt and put a big rock on top of it so they can't dig back out. Once you've cleared them out of your garden, you could put up some edging high and smooth enough that they can't climb it.

I have the same problem in certain areas of my pastures where the water table is only a foot or so below ground. You can dig about a foot down and water will start to perk up. Great area for building ponds, but no fun to try to cross when it has rained for several days. You can see the crawdad mounds on the surface. A crawdad trap or the coffee can buried in the ground should work. I have several crawdad traps I use to catch them for bait and eating(minature lobsters), learned to eat them from your neighbors to the east. In these traps I use canned fish flavor cat food as bait. It is cheap, easy to carry around and use.

I have been trapping Gophers. They dissappeared it seem during the drought last summer, but have come back with a vengence this spring. When I have caught enough, I am going to have a Gopher BBQ and make some gloves out of their skins!lol

Second thought is to contact your local ag extension office and see what they recommend. I know on your raised beds you could place screen at the bottom, this should prevent them from getting into the beds. But that would require you empting the raise beds of soil. Good luck and keep us informed of what works.

Back