• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help out a relative newb!

bossman9 said:
Dave..although you may be able to fit that many pots out there, I think you'd be asking for a lot of trouble...the plants are going to branch and need circulation of air. They'll need a lot more area than just the pot size..... realistically I'd say 6 plants (or 12 ..two in a pot) on that balcony.....

BTW...I like the idea of donating to the Botany class with a stipulation of getting to chose your pods from harvest

True, I did not consider this. What I think that I will do is take two pots each for the strongest chinense and 1 pot each for the other varieties. That gives me 2 bhuts, 2 fatiliis, 2 red savinas, 2 TS, 2 devils tongue and 2 naga morich. That will then total to 15. After a month, I'll see what each looks like then, and just keep the strongest of the two, which would ultimately yield 9 total individual plants which should be feasible considering I was going to have 9 of those 16" pots before I joined here. Does that sound reasonable?

Sure it sounds reasonable for space considerations. I myself have a problem even culling my seedlings :( so I couldnt imagine larger plants. In situations where I have extra plants, I take the opportunity to run some experiments. If you have 2 of the strongest Chinese, why not plant 1 in the bigger 16" pot, then plant the other in a smaller pot and compare how well the two plants do in different sizes... etc. The possibilities are endless, and sometimes the results can be surprising. Just a suggestion, instead of killing, experiment in the name of peppers!

Well the Purdue botany department is going to take a good chunk of the plants off of my hands, so I will update this again once I have repotted everything. Final question though: when I go to repot, and I'll likely get the planters tomorrow or wednesday, what size should I look for? 12"? 10"? I'll go to the nursery and try and get some of the black used planters they keep stocked, but I wanna know a good size to transplant into. Thanks!

You guys are the best. I went to the local nursery today and got some more composted manure, huge thing of peat moss, some more earthworm castings and a small box of bat guano. I asked for old pots and they said they didn't have any, then I said, well what happens when someone returns a dead plant? They go: oh, we keep the pots...OH, that's what you meant :rolleyes:. Got me 18 used 5 gallon pots for a buck each! I'll be transplanting all 18 plants tonight and will update with pics!

And Indiana weather for you, it got up to 80 today, Saturday morning it will be 40 degrees. What the hell.

pvaudio said:
You guys are the best. I went to the local nursery today and got some more composted manure, huge thing of peat moss, some more earthworm castings and a small box of bat guano. I asked for old pots and they said they didn't have any, then I said, well what happens when someone returns a dead plant? They go: oh, we keep the pots...OH, that's what you meant :rolleyes:. Got me 18 used 5 gallon pots for a buck each! I'll be transplanting all 18 plants tonight and will update with pics!

And Indiana weather for you, it got up to 80 today, Saturday morning it will be 40 degrees. What the hell.

Make sure you sanitize the pots before you plant anything in them....can't the Botany dept. provide the soil?

I'm gonna post pics of some plants in 5 Gal pails when I get a chance...they get huge...I think your limited space is appropriate for only 6 or 8 pots that size...air circulation is an issue IMO

Befriend a Botany Dept. Professor and discuss your issue...maybe direct him/her to your thread here...

bossman9 said:
Make sure you sanitize the pots before you plant anything in them....can't the Botany dept. provide the soil?

I'm gonna post pics of some plants in 5 Gal pails when I get a chance...they get huge...I think your limited space is appropriate for only 6 or 8 pots that size...air circulation is an issue IMO

Befriend a Botany Dept. Professor and discuss your issue...maybe direct him/her to your thread here...
Ehhh, didn't sanitize anything. They had been cleaned out by the nursery though, so I'm not as worried. It took me from freaking 7 PM or so until 3:15 AM to get everything re-potted then cleaned up. Working on a small apartment balcony isn't like working in a garage or backyard :/

Nonetheless, I'm trying a new soil mixture altogether. After taking them out of the pots, I think that the soil they were in was far too dense since the roots hadn't grown at all. I also made sure to break up the root ball completely and not pack the soil down. The new mixture is about 65% peat, 20% composted humus/manure, 10% vermiculite and about 5% earthworm castings and a 1/4 cup or so of bat guano powder.

I'll be giving away some of the plants later this week, probably Thursday or Friday once I see if the plants get too shocked by their new soil.

Back