• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health HELP!: Pepper Problem Pictures - Brown Spots

Here are some pics of the problems my hab plant (limo) is having. You can see the progression, it starts small and only seems to appear when they start to ripen, not before. My other hab (red globe) in the same earthbox does not appear to have this problem, different variety and just starting to ripen. Any clues??? I've waited all summer for these and now this!! Would appreciate your help!

DSC_2849.jpg

DSC_2851.jpg

DSC_2852.jpg

DSC_2864.jpg

are all the spots in contact with the direct sun at least part of the day?...if so that may be sunscald....

here is a link to pictures of sunscald

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0813572426460.html?4

If the peppers are completely shaded by the leaves, I'm guessing blossom rot. If it is blossom end rot here is a link to OSU with a pretty good synopsis of the disease (yes, it is curable)
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html

If it is not this I sure don't know about it but others here may have other ideas...I have both and am trying to get rid of them fairly successfully..

AlabamaJack said:
are all the spots in contact with the direct sun at least part of the day?...if so that may be sunscald....

here is a link to pictures of sunscald

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0813572426460.html?4

If the peppers are completely shaded by the leaves, I'm guessing blossom rot. If it is blossom end rot here is a link to OSU with a pretty good synopsis of the disease (yes, it is curable)
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3117.html

If it is not this I sure don't know about it but others here may have other ideas...I have both and am trying to get rid of them fairly successfully..

Thanks AJ, and others...I fear blossom end rot...also foung thi link...

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/horticulture/blossom-rot.html

Hope we can find a cure for your remaining fruit.the weather and atmospheric conditions are causing some unusual things to happen to our vegetation in some areas..Potawie who is a long time chilli grower has noted this among others :rolleyes:

I've noticed that I'm getting some blossom end root on some of my Anaheims but nothing else. It's weird and I've been contemplating pulling those few plants that are having problems, but am having a hard time bringing myself to do that.

Hope you can get it figured out and stopped.

Baxter where are you from?

How many different types of hot/sweet peppers do you have, and are they all doing this?

How long does it take to get from the brown spot in the first pic to the full fruit rot in the 2nd pic?

I was going to say maggots for sure but the brown spot seems different to what i am used to seeing with a fly sting.(but i am in Australia)

But to be sure, how many pods have you checked?

Sometimes if you are to late getting to the pod the maggots have already jumped through a rot hole, and sometimes if you are too early they might still be so small that they will be hard to see.

Do you have really tiny black marks on some of the fruit before the rot starts to show? Cause that could indicate a fly sting!

Lots of questions but just trying to get an idea, so we can all help as much as possible!!!:)

moyboy said:

How many different types of hot/sweet peppers do you have, and are they all doing this?

How long does it take to get from the brown spot in the first pic to the full fruit rot in the 2nd pic?

I was going to say maggots for sure but the brown spot seems different to what i am used to seeing with a fly sting.(but i am in Australia)

Sometimes if you are to late getting to the pod the maggots have already jumped through a rot hole, and sometimes if you are too early they might still be so small that they will be hard to see.

Do you have really tiny black marks on some of the fruit before the rot starts to show? Cause that could indicate a fly sting!

Lots of questions but just trying to get an idea, so we can all help as much as possible!!!:)

Fly sting intresting :think:

most female insects have an ovipositor (what they lay eggs through)...a stinging insects "stinger" is a modified ovipositor...so I suppose sting would be somewhat correct...

moyboy said:

Appreciate your help!

Am in the states, Washington DC area.

Have a couple habs, serrano and jalapenos. Only is happening to the habs, and mostly to the limo. A couple of spots on my other hab, but nothing compared to that one.

Once it starts it seems to take a week or. It seems to worsen as the pod ripens. Progresses at about the same rate, or so it seems.

I checked for maggots with a pod based on a suggestion from AJ and found nothing. But, I have not checked others since.

Not a black spot, it starts as a brown spot, and it seems as if the pod wall is dying from the inside out. I fear blossom end rot.

Last night I pulled all the pods off that had any sign that it was starrting. I may try to add some calcium to the soil

Chiles seem to get BER (blossom end rot) independent of the amount of calcium in the soil.

I've had BER in poblanos and chilacas and increased the calcium to no effect.

Pepperfreak said:
I've noticed that I'm getting some blossom end root on some of my Anaheims but nothing else. It's weird and I've been contemplating pulling those few plants that are having problems, but am having a hard time bringing myself to do that.

Hope you can get it figured out and stopped.

Hope you do as well. I am thinking of pulling it. Every pepper is getting it, and since it is sharing an earth box i'd like other hab to get more room, etc. Can BER spread?

Baxter said:
Hope you do as well. I am thinking of pulling it. Every pepper is getting it, and since it is sharing an earth box i'd like other hab to get more room, etc. Can BER spread?

So far, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, the only pods that were terribly infected were from a couple Anaheim plants and I cut all of those pods (the bad ones) off. So far, the pods that are left, seem to be maturing okay. So, I'm thinking, and I could be wrong, that it isn't an infectious condition that is contagious to the other plants. Before throwing in the towel and pulling plants up, try cutting all of the bad pods off and tossing them.

I noticed on a few ripe Red Savina Pods that I had a few small brown spots, but I think that the pods are still usable as long as I cut out the bad spot. JMO...

Back