• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Help! what the heck! I have gnats... LOTS of gnats!!

I switched to Neptune's Harvest fish hydrolysate; cold pressed.

Hope you get the gnat problem in check. They are rarely harmful to the plant unless its a massive infestation.

If you foliar feed your plants then the high nitrogen is not a problem, but if you drench the soil with a rich product then you're asking for larvae. Gnats don't grow on leaves. I've been using Fish Emulsion for years . If you dilute it and apply it correctly then there's no issues. Keep your soil dryer when growing indoors and you won't have a problem with gnats. I may only water my houseplants once every 2/3 weeks through the winter and once a week in the summer months. I see alot of photos of solo cups where the top of the soil looking "muddy", that can be a breeding ground for pests.....only my opinion...

If you foliar feed your plants then the high nitrogen is not a problem, but if you drench the soil with a rich product then you're asking for larvae. Gnats don't grow on leaves. I've been using Fish Emulsion for years . If you dilute it and apply it correctly then there's no issues. Keep your soil dryer when growing indoors and you won't have a problem with gnats. I may only water my houseplants once every 2/3 weeks through the winter and once a week in the summer months. I see alot of photos of solo cups where the top of the soil looking "muddy", that can be a breeding ground for pests.....only my opinion...
I agree with all of this and I only bottom water. I want to know where the first breeding pair comes from...that is the mystery to solve!

Let top soil dry, cut a potato in half and set it on top of the soil, then leave it for 24hrs. Pick it up and see all of the gnat larvae. Dispose of potato.

Dude! ... nothin' on my potato, it just went dark brown. I don't get it!
Potato has been in there for 16 hours. I've seen 3-4 busters flying around when I checked the potato.
I will get a bigger potato, put each cut side in different parts of the pepper area, maybe that'll do.

Back