• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with a dying White Bhut Jolokia

Hi everyone
I am growing several varieties from seed atm. Three of them were doing fine, sprouted at similar times, got potted at the same time with the same soil and were growing nicely.

Two weeks ago I topped them and they seemed to take it like champs, although the new leaves in the WBJ where yellowish, not nice green.Two days later we had the super hot Friday here in Sydney (38 C) and the WBJ didn't seem to like it all. The big leaves not topped went brown and the new ones shrivelled.

The other plants took a bit of a hit, but after watering they all picked up and actually shoot out like crazy.

IMG_20151202_070937_zpsmljfscuu.jpg

IMG_20151202_071120_zpssqvylork.jpg

IMG_20151202_071100_zpsgtrjzjup.jpg

The WBJ just went downward, looking drier and drier, with leaves that would limp on the side, but not fall off. Last weekend I repotted it and cleaned the soil in the roots. Didn't see any signs of rot, but I don't really know how it looks.

IMG_20151202_071142_zpseaptx9yz.jpg

Pics are from this morning.

The plant seems to be doing worse and worse and I don't know how to save it.

Any help is appreciated!

Sorry to say it but that white bhut looks like a goner to me. Your other plants look really good though.  :)  Maybe the problem with the bhut had to do with over watering? I see what looks like trays retaining water under the pots. I would probably ditch those trays in the future, and allow the water to drain.

BlackFatalii said:
Sorry to say it but that white bhut looks like a goner to me. Your other plants look really good though.  :)  Maybe the problem with the bhut had to do with over watering? I see what looks like trays retaining water under the pots. I would probably ditch those trays in the future, and allow the water to drain.
Thats a good observation. Also why I asked what was used for drainage, perlite etc.

Thanks for the answers. That's sad, I was really, really excited about this variety.

This is my first time growing peppers. Actually my first time growing anything. I'm kinda doing things by ear, so no idea about the drainage. Used potting soil.

Thanks for the advice!

In my experience if the stem is still ok (still upright and green) you can put it in the shade, keep it moist and it will re sprout

also, that "soil" actually looks like coco-coir, which is not soil at all and takes some special attention to make it work properly.

If its coco, and you dont know its up's and down's then get reading. (for example coco has basically no nutrients of its own and almost has to be treated as hydro). Also some brands of coco can have quite a bit of salt in it. Which is not good for the plants. experienced coco growers suggest thoroughly washing the coco with fresh water prior to first use to wash away any salts.

your other plants looks really nice though. So i would say either you know what your doing in regards to the coco, or you have just potted them into the coco, in which case they have not had enough time to go bad yet, lol!

Im completely against topping unless your doing it for asthetics but thats neither here nor there, it could be the topping shocked the plant but its doubtful.  you dont normally see a woody stem on a plant that small and actually your other plants look stressed to me, its very subtle but i suspect ph issues.. see how the new growth is a lighter shade of greeen than the old growth and theres a slight puckering.  could be water issues which is usually the culprit 90% of the time but im gonna say ph this time, test it! your ferts or soil mix is donkin up yo plants.i also like your fake patio lawn lol!

Yes, as everyone else has said, dead. You win some you lose some. The plants in your pictures are what I would consider adolescents, which means that big variations in temperature, nutrients,  or water will wreak havoc on them. In another 2-3 weeks they will be at a point where they can take way more abuse, but for now they are probably still in that finicky stage.

As far as topping goes, I am running an experiment right now where I have two 4 month old coyote zan whites that I have, 1 topped, 1 not. I plan on getting them inside to over winter shortly. But in the spring I want to see how each develops branch structure and node numbers. My thoughts are that topping is going to be useless and both will produce on par with each other...we shall see!

TW

Back