• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds help with germinating.

My dad and i planted 48 seeds friday.The tray consists of a bunch of superhots bhut jolokia, naga morich, fatalii, habanero's 7 pod,trinidad scorps, congos, perfume etc.. They were getting very cold drafts of 50 to 40 degree air but it wasn't directly or for very long. They were in here for a few days before i finally moved them. The are now at room temp 70-72. I haven't really grwon chinese varities before so i really don't know. Oh and some of the seeds were uncovered but i planted them again because i was using a bottle to water them stupid mistake. If you have any questions plaese do ask. Im trying not to screw up as i have very few seeds left of some varities.

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle buddy...IMO you got to get them warmer...they will take forever at 70-72 degrees...they need to be at least to 80F (86F is a good number)....

you planted them 5 days ago...they should be ok...just raise the temp and you will see sprouts within 10 days or so...

How do you suggest i warm them up. Im not going out to but a huge heating pad
AlabamaJack said:
Kyle buddy...IMO you got to get them warmer...they will take forever at 70-72 degrees...they need to be at least to 80F (86F is a good number)....

you planted them 5 days ago...they should be ok...just raise the temp and you will see sprouts within 10 days or so...

kylestl said:
How do you suggest i warm them up. Im not going out to but a huge heating pad

Some kind of box with an incandesent (sp) glob in it can raise the temp enough, MoyBoy uses this idea with success. You can even hook the glob up to a thermostat if you so desire.

AlabamaJack said:

AJ,

I know you are the guru (flattery intended!) and have a great track record when it comes to germinating seeds. But I have to respectfully disagree with you. All of the peppers (and toms and flowers) I have germinated this year were over a heat source that got only to about 74 degrees for 14 hours, some nights it was 64 degrees. The time to germinate seeds was from 6-12 days for the peppers, four days for the tomatoes.

My opinion - no doubt 80-85 degrees is optimal but 72 will work fine.

JMO, YMMV!

Mike

Kyle, how is the furnace set up in your house? Is it in it's own room in the basement? If you can somehow get your tray of seeds somewhere next to the furnace you should speed up the process a little.

Dale

I've gotten them to start at around 70 degrees but it takes sooooooo long! Put 'em on top of your refridgerator, that generally heats them up to a beter temp than ambient 70 degrees.

85 degree 'soil' temperature, not just ambient temperature.
Soil temperature may be less than ambient temperature due to evaporation.

~PepperJack

Mike...you notice I said IMO

AlabamaJack said:
Mike...you notice I said IMO

AJ,

Of course I did. :cool:

Just wanted to be like Fox News and balance out the replies! Didn't want the OP to think temps "have" to be in the 80s so the seeds germinate.

Mike

I have a medical heating pad(under $10.00 from walmart) just a cheap one. I put it under my trays (with a clear tray cover) and it keeps my temps between 80 - 87 degrees. Works really well!!!

kylestl said:
not taking any seeds but AJ did say IMO and that the seeds will take forever at 70-72 meaning it will work

You decide if this is forever:

Bhut Jolokia - 10 days
Red Savina - 7 days
Sweet Bell - 9 days
Red Hab - 10 days
Japs - 10 days
Hungarian Hot Wax - 13 days
Banana - 9 days
Tabasco - 12 days
Cayenne - 6 days

The trays with the seeds were placed on a board that had lights under it and the lid closed. The temp on top of the boards where the tray was sitting was 72 degrees during the day when the light was on (16 hrs./day). The air temp was from 66-74, usually ~70.

I'm not saying that 84-86 degrees or whatever is not optimal but I am saying that IN MY EXPERIENCES, seeds will still sprout fairly quickly at 70 degrees.

Mike

PS - My Siletz tom seeds took four days to germinate!

alright i set something up it is keeping my seeds a lil above 80 degrees. i really hope this works i don't have a bunch of seeds

Ya don't want to cook the lil guys..i'd say 90F is about the most I'd want. Mine are 80-87F depending on the room temp as it fluctuates throughout the day.

here is a graph of germination percent vs temperature for some annuums...I can not find any research that shows the same data for chinense or other species...the research was done by the University of Florida...

30C = 86F
35C = 95F
40C = 104F

as you can see, there is a rapid drop off in germination percent once you get above 30C....and the data suggest that there is a slight drop in germination percent between 25 and 30C for a couple of varieties...zero percent at 40C...

germinationpercent.jpg

forgot to say, I have had my best results for percent and time to sprout for chinense between 28-30C

Back