• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Help with green house over aussi winter

:hell:

Hello hello...Winter is dawning upon us here in australia land and my habs nagas and alike are starting to get nervous. I have thought of building a make shift green house to see them through. When I say make shift I mean make shift. Do people here think this will work:

Four posts several meters apart at an equal distance.

Heavy duty glad wrap wrapped around these posts and secured forming the sides

Bricks around the base

And heavey duty plastic secured over the top forming the roof

Also adding some ventolation

Do you guys and girls think this will do ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks thansk very much
Happy chilli growing
:onfire:

Mate..... what part of Aus are you in? Mine are just getting their second wind and flowering again.

you must be in the sothern states.

I was thinking of doing something similar.....but i think i will kust cut them back and put them somewhere out of the cold and see what lives.

will move smaller yound plants i have just started into the garage and rig up a light of some sort for them.

If they all die..... i have more seeds :cool:

cheers

This was the plan that I followed. Obviously you can make it longer or shorter by adding or subtracting ribs. I don't know how cold it gets where you are, but unless it gets below about 25F( -3 or -4 C) regularly, you can get by without much additional heat.

http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

1. If I do this again next year, I will trim about 4 to 6 inches off the rib poles so that the bottom of the hoop house can be sealed better against wind. Wind is the enemy. Controlling temperatures on still nights was a lot easier than on windy nights. Wind was also a problem with the ridge line, too. If the wind made the hoop house bounce, some of the ridge poles would sometimes come loose.

2. They get very hand wavey about doors or the ends, and I'm not entirely happy with what I did. I put an extra rib right next to the last rib of the body of the hoop house, and put plastic over it to make an end, and clipped it to the final rib of the hoop house. When I wanted to go in and out, I had to struggle under wet, dirty plastic. Putting bricks and cinder blocks on the plastic to hold it down was a pain, and allowed some wind to seep in if I wasn't very careful about it.

3. Clamps: I think I was given the wrong sort of black poly pipe at Lowe's, because it wouldn't hold squat. I ended up using spring clamps. They worked well, but in high winds they sometimes tear the plastic. I never could find any place to get real green house plastic clamps, but I think it would be worth it to try and track some down.

4. During really cold weather -less than 25F- I wrapped the plants in old sheets and blankets in addition to having lights and a ceramic heater. If

ABurningMouth said:
Would building a small fence in front of it help? Around here the wind comes from the opposite side the sun comes from anyway.

It's built sideways to the prevailing wind. There are a lot of things that can be done to improve it, but the idea was to throw up something that would be easy and cheap. After all, it has to come down for spring planting.

At some point I had to recognize that it's cheaper to pot up and bring in the plants I want to save.

I've gone with another method.
I started a bunch of plants in pots on the shade side of the house a month ago. They're all flowering now.
As it gets cooler I'll move them to the sunny side & bring them in at night when the temps really drop.
They'll be getting more sun by mid-winter than they get now.

Just an experiment really but hoping to get fresh pods all winter this year.

Scorpions in Perth, I think his plants will be fine just out in the open I know Miccas are ok, mind you he does have some in Greenhouses.

Greenhouse are just aphid breeding grounds in my experience.lol

Also you can get some cheap ones on eBAY FOR ABOUT 150 TO 250 dollars including postage.
I'd have a look if you gonna do it.

bentalphanerd said:
I started a bunch of plants in pots on the shade side of the house a month ago. They're all flowering now.
As it gets cooler I'll move them to the sunny side & bring them in at night when the temps really drop.

Do y'all get any frost there?

Thanks all very much for your replys....Great help indeed. Dodgy yes the old glad wrap green house does sound LOL.... Im currently awaiting my visa so I can travel from the west to brisbane so I can get some good strong green house makin plastic lol...I will though jump on ebay as suggested and have a look for cheap green houses....Also I may just cut back and see what lives ...Alot to think about...THANKS ALL FOR YOUR INPUT! I'll let you know how I go.

Scorp

Hi all,

I live more or less halfway between bent and stillmanz's shop which is near the coast.
I also would like some advice on wintering. I haven't had a frost here since I moved here 3 yrs ago. Night temps last winter down to about 8C, I have plenty of sunshine on one side of the house. Do I need to protect the plants from the cold? I only want them to survive winter, not necessarily to fruit thru it.

Any help??

RS

bentalphanerd said:

im attempting the same thing with my orange habs, hope it works:)

ring sting said:
Hi all,

I live more or less halfway between bent and stillmanz's shop which is near the coast.
I also would like some advice on wintering. I haven't had a frost here since I moved here 3 yrs ago. Night temps last winter down to about 8C, I have plenty of sunshine on one side of the house. Do I need to protect the plants from the cold? I only want them to survive winter, not necessarily to fruit thru it.

Any help??

RS

They should be fine RS. as you know the weather has been a bit dodgy this year compared to the last several so who knows what to expect, but chilli plants are very hardy.
the worst part about over wintering is when they make pods that then don't ripen. Looking at all those green pods week after week is the worst kind of torture.

Good luck.

:idea:

Hey, you guys got me thinking (I know, it's a scary thought)...

It seems that when we all plant out, we want the SOIL temperature to be what...60F (~15C)? Sooooooooo, why couldn't you add heat to the soil in some fashion whether it be a heating probe, wire, heater, germination mat or something that will keep the soil temperature up there...

Is this thought correct?...if you get plenty of sunshine and the day/night temperatures stay relatively mild and you heat the soil, would you still be able to produce peppers year round?

AlabamaJack said:
Hey, you guys got me thinking (I know, it's a scary thought)...

It seems that when we all plant out, we want the SOIL temperature to be what...60F (~15C)? Sooooooooo, why couldn't you add heat to the soil in some fashion whether it be a heating probe, wire, heater, germination mat or something that will keep the soil temperature up there...

Is this thought correct?...if you get plenty of sunshine and the day/night temperatures stay relatively mild and you heat the soil, would you still be able to produce peppers year round?

aside from feasibility, i think that's a little more involved than scorpion was hoping for... but i'll be interested in the results when you inevitably attempt this...

Now Alabama Jack you have me thinking!! My partner will now be worried....more contraptions and ideas to build and wonder about...Far more elaborate than I was initially thinking but now....hmmmm "cheap way to heat the soil outside ...with out costing money and blowing the whole neighbourhoods electricity grid"..let me see he he. Any ideas on this any one?

Dave

This now has me thinking about thermal mass... hmmm.
I believe it is either BB or Bent~ who earlier in the year kept mentioning how his chilli's loved being on the concrete slabs he has, as they hold the day's heat in them over night. Hmmmm Must find concrete slab in yard....

RS

It would work but cost a heap... Unless you maybe reticulated water through black pipe off your roof and through your bed like how they heat pools use the sun to heat the water. That would be the cheapest all you'd need was lots and lots of black pipe a pump and an undrstanding wife... sadly mines out of patience on the "bizarre garden bed heating ideas lol"

Back