• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with snails

This morning I went to check on some of my plants in the front yard and I saw a snail munching on the zucchini seedling next to my bell pepper and jalapeño seedlings. The leaves had a bunch of holes in them. I got rid of it but I'm afraid more will come back. The plants are very little so it wont take much to kill them. Do snails eat peppers? Is there a good way to keep snails away from your plants?

Do snails go for beer like slugs do? You could try it.

There are also commercial organic products like Escar-Go or Sluggo that work pretty well.

Hmm... what about good ol' broken eggshells scattered around? last time I checked, there weren't any flying snails.

Im with Pam.. i use margarine containers with beer, they seem to like that heaps and now i don't drink anymore it puts to good use some of the homebrew i have lying around..

haven't tried the broken eggshells, thanks Omri ill give that a try too

Maybe a ring of salt around the outside of the pot will teach them to mess with my plants. At least until it rains.

Yeah I've heard salt, beer, crushed egg shells and vaseline smeared around the tops of your pots. The beer and salt kills them, the egg shells (or any rough surface) helps as they don't like rough surfaces. The vaseline as they can't grip it. There's also no point chucking them into your neighbours yard either as they have a homing instinct which covers quite a large area.

rainbowberry said:
Yeah I've heard salt, beer, crushed egg shells and vaseline smeared around the tops of your pots. The beer and salt kills them, the egg shells (or any rough surface) helps as they don't like rough surfaces. The vaseline as they can't grip it. There's also no point chucking them into your neighbours yard either as they have a homing instinct which covers quite a large area.

I've heard of everything you listed except for vaseline...Now that is interesting!

No! not my precious vaseline! :lol:
Hmm... salt won't actually kill them, more piss them off. you need a lot of salt for this to be effective.

I thought they shrivelled up when they came in contact with salt. They don't like chilli sauce either or bleach, nor would your plants though.

I was a sadistic little bastard as a kid. trust me on this one, if they want to get somewhere, they'll get there. you really need a large area full of salt, so they'll die mid-way.

Pepperfreak said:
Yah...Thats chile sauce abuse!
Exactly! shouldn't be legal.
I say don't put chile sauce on something you're not planning on eating.
If you eat those snails, good for you. if not... shame on you.

Back