• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HELP!!

Alright so heres the deal. I started all my peppers in february and they are now planted in holes behind my house. But im afraid i started them way to early, because they are all yellow from the bottom up and the leaves on top are green but then they turn yellow. Im not very happy with the soil i planted them in as i used the soil in the gound mixed with manure and it doesnt have much drainage. So all of the leaves are yellow and they are curled up and are really dry to thge touch. I have 10-10-10 extended release in the soil and iu already fertilized with nitrogen once and epsom salts. What do you think the problem is? I was thinking either over watering or nitrogen defiecincy but it might be that they are to old. If you think about it they are like 4 months old already, so they could have already grown and produced in that time. If any one has any insight to what my problem is and how to bounce back from it it would be much appreciatred. Because i bought some new trasplants from a local greenhouse yesterday and they are green and bueatiful and when they're put next to my others it makes the yellow ones look even worse. so just to recap here are the symptons of my sick plants. -yellow leaves
-dry leaves
-minimal new growth
-flower buds turn yellow and fall off
-really old plants
-small deformed peppers
im really dissapointed and im thiking if i started them a month later they would be stellar. I hope they come back. PLEASE HELP!! i cant fiugure it out

And i think that the denoding i did to them earlier hurt them. Any denoding opinions, or possibly any exaples of the results of denoding?

Thanks

Your plants aren't too old. Chile peppers can live several years, and even up to about a decade sometimes. A lot of my plants were started 6 months ago and are doing great. Are the leaf margins and tips dry and brown? Sounds like fertilizer burn based on the description. I would bet the farm that it's not nitrogen deficiency. How many naturally growing plants do you see in your yard exhibiting signs of nitrogen deficiency? And they didn't get the nitrogen fertilizer, 10-10-10, and manure.

There may be other issues like drainage though. A picture will definitely help.

+1 to Avon. It is not an age issue. Chili's can live for several years. I have 2 plants that are about 2 years old now. From what I have read and experienced they will keep flowering and producing as long as the conditions are right.

I bet it is a combination of not enough drainage in the soil and too much ferts. That's a guess but I would almost bet on it.

Charles

quick scan of your weather, it appears okay. high's between 75-85F, lows 50F.

along with what avon has mentioned...what about the hardening off process, did you graduate them into sunlight or just plant them from inside to out? (could be a bit of shock happening along with a touch of sunscald) - try shielding them from any daytime sun, just give them evening or morning direct sun. and if there is a bit of shock happening you may wish to mix up a bit of mild aspirin water and give them a drink.

good luck.

I'll jump on the poor drainage/too many ferts bandwagon too. Applying a 10-10-10 extended release fertilizer + more nitrogen + Epsom salts + manure would kill almost any plant. You trying to grow a pepperstalk and hook up with the Giant?

Also what does "denoding" mean?

theyve actually bounced baCK now but they were like that before i put all the ferts on them. i think it was a complete lack of any sort of nutrition because they were just in a blank sol medium. I think it was because they were in small pots for months.

Back