• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hendrix1326's Glog for 2012, yay!

Okay, so I have been incognito here on the forums for the last couple of months. Been distracted by video games, working on house projects, etc. Anyway, I decided last week that once I laid the vinyl flooring in my laundry room that I would start germinating my seeds! I have settled on 20 varieties for this year, with (as many as) 50 plants, some of which I will keep at my mother's house, since she has a big garden space that won't all be used this year. I have the following varieties planted in Jiffy pellets in a "Germination Station" heating mat. I represented the "Big 5" species (Chinense, Annuum, Baccatum, Pubescens, Frutescens) with at least one variety, and also have a couple wilds (C.Lanceolatum, and one called "Tio") to round it out. Here is the list, with how many of each one I am growing in bold parentheses at the end:

Chinense:
01-Yellow Bullet Habanero (similar to Peruvian White, but with a distinct canary yellow color) (2)
02-Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero (2)
03-Red Biquinho Iracena (3)
04-CGN-21500 (2)
05-Red Aribibi Gusano (F1) (2)
06-White Bhut Jolokia (3)
07-Red 7-Pot (2)
08-Turtle's Claw (Aribibi Gusano) (2)
09-Zavory (3)

Annuum:
10-Red Pimiento (3)
11-Monkey Face (3)
12-Chicken Heart (2)
13-Purple UFO (2)
14-Hungarian Wax Cross (Unknown F1) (1, only got one seed!)

Baccatum:
15-Hot Lemon Drop (Aji Lemon) (3)
16-Bishop's Crown (3)

Pubescens:
17-Red Rocoto (3)

Frutescens:
18-CGN-22184 (3)

Lanceolatum:
19-Lanceolatum (Unknown Designation) (3)

Unknown Species:
20-Tio (3)

Here are the initial pictures of my embryonic grow rig, which will be overhauled by the time the seeds sprout:

http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0242.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0243.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0244.jpg
http://s1088.photobu...nt=101_0245.jpg

By the time the seeds are seedlings, I plan on having all of the rest of my supplies, which includes nursery pots, convertible heat lamps, thermostat, heater, oscillating fans, pulleys, reflective materials, the whole shebangabang.

I also wanted to thank the following THP members for either trading, SASBE-ing, or giving me seeds which are among the ones I am growing this year:

cmpman1974 (Biquinho, Purple UFO)
2gods (Aribibi Red, CGN21500)
paulmtonkin (Red 7, Monkey Face, Turtle's Claw)
Pulpiteer (Hot Lemon Drop)
ZanderSpice (Rocoto, CGN22184)
DudeThtsBad (Tio)
aropupu (Lanceolatum)
S.S. Tupperware (Bishop's Crown)
dshlogg (White Bhut)
melissa77754 (Chicken Heart)

Also, thanks to whomever sent me the Zavory, I couldn't remember or find any trace of who it might be, but I know it was one of the fine folks here on The Hot Pepper. Also, thanks to HH Farm on eBay, who was one of the shining beacons of hope for Chili-Heads on that abyss, and provided me with delicious peppers of all kinds, and to whom I owe thanks for the Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habs, as well as the Yellow Bullet Habs, among others.

Stay tuned, everyone, I will have dynamic updates over the course of the year on this thread, right up until final harvests and overwintering processes in probably October. Thanks for checking this thread out!

-Karl

caught upon your updates. Things are looking good. I see one heck of a harvest coming soon. or a couple harvests. Sorry to hear about the raiding of your plants. Some people :mad:

Thanks! I've been pretty pleased with the ripening process now that it's kicking into higher gears the last couple of weeks. Next step is to set up my grow room to finish up the ripening process of any pods remaining once we get our first frost up here in Michigan. After that, I will start overwintering each plant I plan on keeping as the pods are all harvested, and uprooting and composting the others. It should be exciting to get going on the end of the year. It was a great one, though I can definitely improve on many aspects. I know that I did myriads better than last year, but I won't rest on my laurels, and since I've been vigilant with update videos this year, I can go back and review what I could do better a lot more efficiently than using my memory alone. I am excited going into next season, which, now that I have a growing room in my house, extends my season to about 8 months! I am looking forward to another great season, taking out my overwintered babies, and nurturing some brand new little ones into maturity next summer and seeing how the new types taste, as well as their characteristics and growth habits. Always nice to learn new stuff! Thanks for stopping in!

Since this is my first year, I did plenty of fluffs. Killed about six out of my 22 original plants. I also did really well at documenting so that I can try to avoid this year as my plants had so much to fight in the beginning it really set them back. I cannot complain as the only thing I am really set back on now is ripening with the exception of my two trini scorp plants. Thank god they are pretty resilient to human error. I will not over winter because I don't have any room in any of my rooms and I don't have a light set. I would have to do some configuring and constructing to set up a grow area. I will just start fresh next year. Maybe give away some plants to some people.

Since this is my first year, I did plenty of fluffs. Killed about six out of my 22 original plants. I also did really well at documenting so that I can try to avoid this year as my plants had so much to fight in the beginning it really set them back. I cannot complain as the only thing I am really set back on now is ripening with the exception of my two trini scorp plants. Thank god they are pretty resilient to human error. I will not over winter because I don't have any room in any of my rooms and I don't have a light set. I would have to do some configuring and constructing to set up a grow area. I will just start fresh next year. Maybe give away some plants to some people.

Not bad to start over, I was clean slate this year due to my failed attempt at overwintering from last year. That was a blessing in disguise, however, since it afforded me the resilience/perseverance/self-control/discipline to get the supplies to start from seed properly for my climate, with the grow room setup I had going this year. I also learned a TON about the growth habits of each variety I grew as they matured, and documented it along the way, which was very fun and rewarding to look back on it all now!

Yes. For all around that is great to watch how each grows. I need next season to do that because I was in panic mode and did not pay attention to individual needs. Newbie mistake. Not realizing that each species or each type of pepper has its own needs. I am grateful that the soil I have here in Jersey is really good. I don't have to make amendments except for my trinidad scorps and to see pods sooner so I have more harvests. the growth on my plants was out of this world. every plant was podding (except one) and growing at the same time with very little issue besides the bugs that ate a few leaves and some root rot that I got rid of with a bucket of "fish shit".....ahahaaaa rotten and stinky . Don't know what it was besides the heads. I still have so much learning to do and grateful glogs like this one are here for me to see and learn so thank you

All righty, it's been a few days since any updates, so here goes! I uprooted (6) plants from my mom/stepdad's garden that I had planted earlier this summer, in preparation for final ripening of pods and/or overwintering. I took the following plants:

1-Aji Cito (LOADED with pods and about 3-4 ft. tall!)
2-Aji Cristal (LOADED with pods and about 4 ft. tall!)
3-Lemon Drop (LOADED with pods/flowers and about 4 ft. WIDE!!!)
4-Jamaican Hot Chocolate Habanero (2 pods, but a nice lush plant!)
5-Tasmanian Red #1 (gave up, and looked today to see 3 black pods and a bunch more forming, yes!)
6-Aribibi Gusano (LOADED with pods/flowers, super bushy!)

I filmed my weekly update a few hours ago, but have to splice the parts together and upload to YouTube before I post it. Thanks for ducking in!
Karl

Glad that Lemon Drop did so well for you. Those plants are amazing. Mine grow that wide as well, they send branches out a few rows ahead. Amazing plants.

Thanks again for the package you sent - I've been sampling a few here and here. What an amazing variety!

package.jpg

Glad that Lemon Drop did so well for you. Those plants are amazing. Mine grow that wide as well, they send branches out a few rows ahead. Amazing plants.

Thanks again for the package you sent - I've been sampling a few here and here. What an amazing variety!

Thanks for ducking in, Andy. Glad you enjoyed them! I see you have your hands full with the potato-sack-sized harvest you just pulled a few days ago, man I'd be pulling my hair out trying to keep up with that many, plus work, etc.!

All right, it's update time! I had a premonition yesterday that I would have to be taking my plants indoors. Well, okay, the low for last night was predicted to be 33, so I cheated! Anyway...I'm glad I did bring them inside, 'cause when I woke up this morning, sho-nuff, there be frost! It was a trial moving about 70 full-grown pepper plants indoors, and upstairs for about 1/3 of them. Not only that, we've been getting rained on for 3 days straight, mostly on but a little off. Add to the fact that as soon as I decided to go outside last night and start transporting the plants, it started to rain, and then IT HAILED! Thankfully, it was only the size of Dippin' Dots, but my son was still freaked out and a little hurt by them before I swept him up and put him inside to finish the process. Here are some photos of the plants in their new(old...) home:

First frost:
9-19-12%20-%20First%20Frost!!_zps582e5359.jpg

Plants:
9-19-12%20-%20Laundry%20Room%20Plants%201of2_zps1343590c.jpg

9-19-12%20-%20Laundry%20Room%20Plants%202of2_zps89c83447.jpg

9-19-12%20-%20Porch%20Plants%201of2_zps8d1236dd.jpg

9-19-12%20-%20Porch%20Plants%202of2_zpsdbc08227.jpg

I will be back tonight or tomorrow with my weekly update video, where I will be pruning back some plants so I can get to my stuff better!

Awesome move Karl in moving the plants inside they look great. I have enjoyed watching you vlog great work buddy.

Thanks for ducking in! Yeah, it was a bit of work, but I got it done.
Wow, frost! Good thing you brought them in... give them a decent pruning...

Yep, Upper Michigan has a pretty short summer, especially for peppers. I have had to become very tactful and strategic in getting my plants to up their production. Indeed, I do need a pruning to be done. I will be going through hopefully today if I get the time, and harvest all the ripe pods and start processing them in the next few days. So much to do! I will be thankful when I can start afresh next season with not nearly as many plants. My projections are firm at 40 plants this coming year, and I don't think I will be doing multiple plants of one variety. Just straight mixin' it up, yo! Just gotta organize my seeds, finish drying the rest that will be taken out, do a seed giveaway, and then see where I stand with what I actually want to grow next year, especially now that I have scaled back my overwinters! Thanks for stopping by!

Here is this week's VERY SHORT! update video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoSOrxrNGEA&list=UUBeCLFnBO_IkpdQY0DVPyvQ&index=1&feature=plcp

More to come this coming week as I prune up, harvest, etc.!

Wow. I hear everyone preparing for frost. Sad to see someone's already dealing with it. Here in SoCal. Hoping temps maintain 80-90s. For the past 8 weeks it's been high 90s sometimes even. 100s

All righty, so my pruning has come to a standstill in favor of processing the abundant harvest I have! I've been making jellies, as well as drying more and I also made a HUGE batch of powders last night. Here are the latest pics:

9-28-12-Harvest.jpg

First Column, top to bottom: Lemon Drop, Peach Bhut, Baker's Lantern, Orange Hab

Second Column: Purple UFO, C04392, Anaheim, Red 7-Pot, Aribibi Gusano, Yellow Bullet Hab

Third Column: Red Aribibi, Tobago Seasoning, C01225, Congo Red Hab, Pimenta de Neyde red cross, Pimenta de Neyde orange cross, Pero Orange

Fourth Column: Bird's Eye, Hungarian Black, Peach Bhut #2, Chenzo, Peruvian Purple, Aji Cito

Fifth Column: Apache, Rocoto, Kori Sitakame, CGN21500, Biquinho, Pimiento

Sixth Column: Monkey Face, Orange Hab #2, Cheyenne, White Fatali, Unknown (told it was White Bhut :P), TC07246

Seventh Column: Testers for future videos, Tio, Cheyenne, NagaBon

9-28-12-NewPowders.jpg

The green powder is an all green medley I made, consisting of White Fatali, Rocoto, TC07246, Bird's Eye, Red Aribibi Gusano, and a bunch more I can't remember at the moment!

Next to that is the Rainbow Medley consisting of a copious assortment of all shapes, sizes, and colors. I have green, white, yellow, ivory, chocolate, red, orange, black, purple, variegated, multicolored, and whatever others I missed, all ground together and shaken for optimal mix.

The nice golden one is my Sunrise Medley, which contains all yellow, gold, and some that are approaching white or orange. There are Clavos, (3) types of yellow hybrids from Justaguy, Aribibi Gusanos, and a few more.

Next to that is my Bird's Eye, strictly one type in that one. Moving along, we have the Red Aribibi Gusano in the smaller jar, and damn but if that's not the hottest one so far! Finally, the last two are Lemon Drop.

There will be many more powders to come in the future, as well as increasingly infrequent (got that...?) updates as the winter approaches.

nice medley.. something i should try to do..... so you're puttting them together... mixture of the same color annuums and chinense?? hows the trimming and the move into the house??

Nice harvest and beautiful powder pics! Great job Karl! We've stopped getting close to frosting at nights down here, how about up by you? We've actually had pretty decent days this week, so I'm hoping for a final push and then some time to harvest again. Take care!

nice medley.. something i should try to do..... so you're puttting them together... mixture of the same color annuums and chinense?? hows the trimming and the move into the house??

Thank you! Yes, all species are going into the medleys. I've found that the combination of different flavors and burn profiles are the way to go. You get a wonderful melding of flavors that all go surprisingly well together, and a comprehensive, full-throttle burn that is pretty damned hot thanks mostly to the C.Chinense, but is tempered by the other species' more modest heat levels. I still have a couple medleys that I made last year, and they rock so hard.

Trimming has been slow the past few days, but I've been harvesting a bit more, too, just to slim the plants down and encourage the unripe pods to ripen faster. Got about 20 plants trimmed and stripped, so roughly 1/3 done. I still need to get my grow light set up to speed up the ripening process.

Nice harvest and beautiful powder pics! Great job Karl! We've stopped getting close to frosting at nights down here, how about up by you? We've actually had pretty decent days this week, so I'm hoping for a final push and then some time to harvest again. Take care!

Thanks, Andy! It's been fairly warm during most days the last week and a half, but we still get a few frosty nights. My tomatoes are plucked clean and composted, except for my surprise Black Trifele pair that cropped up out of last year's compost! They actually produced waaaaaay more (about 15-20 lbs between them!) than the one I began indoors in March, but I had to pick them before they were ripe 'cause of the frost. Double harvest, on top of the ridiculous amount you already pulled, you are an animal with those peppers! I thought I had my hands full with 80+ plants, which produced loads of pods even in my cooler climate up here, but with your 100? plants, you could have filled a bathtub with those!

Most of my plants are losing their leaves now, they sense the change of seasons, and are pushing to ripen up the last of the pods, of which I still have pounds of left on the plants, despite the outrageous amount I've already harvested and processed, not to mention the crisper drawer full of ones from that picture above that I have yet to process and dry. Man, I look forward to next year, where I'll have a little more manageable 40 plants.

Back