• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Here comes the heat

Just dropping in to wish all the good folks the best of luck with the first major heatwave of the year moving into the SW U.S.

I saw it may get up to 122F in Arizona. In my neck of the woods we'll probably hit 110F.

Got my 65-75% shade cloth up and doing the shuffle today getting everyone situated for Monday's blow-torch of an afternoon.

Even now, the patio concrete is too hot to walk on bare foot...But under the shade cloth its fine to walk on.

Can't stress enough for those that are new to get your plants out of direct sunlight on very hot days. Setup some kind of shade cloth or just keep them out of the sun.

I'll try to post pics later of my setup.

97F right now at 8:00pm. Its gonna get 111F here in Rialto, California this coming Monday. I have two 6'×20' 70% shade cloth to keep the girls comfortable.

Is now 11:00 am and 111f in the shade.  My hybrid peppers are still blooming and fruiting like mad.  I've created a shade and heat tolerant superhot variety clearly.

Heat index been around 105°

20160617_193102.jpg

Plants ain't liking this Heat!

OoooWEEE! Burnin up out there, showing 109F in the shade. Think you got us all beat Geonerd.
-
Its so hot that even well watered plants are drooping. Transpiring faster than its able to draw up moisture from the soil. I guess this is when you have to be especially careful not to over water but allow it to recover overnight.
-
Not sure how to post pics (says "image extension not allowed in this community" when I try to link a url to a pic) or I'd show you all my setup.
-
 ~4:30, worst of the piercing sun starting to diminish as it gets lower on the horizon. Tomorrow supposed to be even hotter. Hang in there friends.
-

106 in the OC down in So Cal today. already got everything pulled in that I can, under the shade, and threw up an  old shade cloth cover that I had laying around over the stuff in the ground.

Best of luck to you all!

-mrgg*

jhouse4755 said:
only going to be 90 here -- is that cause for midday shade, or can the peps take it?

It depends.  Plants grow 'enough' root mass to provide them with food and water under average conditions.  if 90 is a big jump from the usual, the plants may be stressed.  I'd probably just give them a big watering in the morning and hope for the best...

My plants are 'used' to the climate and tolerate full sun and mid-high 100s w/o any issues.

Came home to a droopy, wilted mess yesterday...So dang hot. Deep watered everyone and in a few hours they were all plump and perky. If that was in direct sunlight, I would have lost most of my plants. Some dalias that my wife grows in pots outside of the shade cloth were crispy-cooked.

Back