• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Here's lovin' the Black Hungarian Pepper

bhp.jpg

This has become one of my favorite peppers. Great flavor (ripe) and a nice medium heat. First ripe one of the year too!

origamiRN said:
Never heard of it.
Is this your own creation?
I'd like to know more.

I wish it were my own...

they start with a awesome purple flower then start green then immediately turn black then after aboot 60 days or so they ripen to the nice red color you see here. They are best when picked ripe.

I do not remember who gave me the seeds, since it was 3 years ago. A pepper that could replace the Jalapeno in many peoples gardens!

Nice looking pods there Web!By all means please share what makes it your favorite pepper!What do you do with them?Mine are comming along...need some tips!Thanks!

scoville said:
Nice looking pods there Web! By all means please share what makes it your favorite pepper! What do you do with them? Mine are coming along...need some tips! Thanks!

I have cooked with them, made poppers, made a few pickled, made some seasoning but my favorite way is right off the vine for a nice morning breakfast snack, lunch snack or a I get home snack off the vine pepper. Just really nice n fruity juicy flavor with a nice punch. Some of them last year had a nice kick.

I have about 8 plants going right now. I love the Deep purple/black pods. I didn't know that they turned to red. Now I can't wait to taste one that is ripe. And here I thought the black pods were ripe.

Pepperfreak said:
I have about 8 plants going right now. I love the Deep purple/black pods. I didn't know that they turned to red. Now I can't wait to taste one that is ripe. And here I thought the black pods were ripe.

you'll be kicking yourself in the arse after you eat a ripened red one!

Man that is a nice looking pod.never heard of them before now but want to find out more.Thanks and a hell of a harvest to you.

Dude, that's awesome.

I have two black hungarian plants. But one of them had variegated leaves and the other looks just like the pics you posted. I figured the one without variegated leaves was a cross! Looks like I'm wrong... glad I'm growing it since you like it so much.

Probably my best, most prolific plant too!

I've heard of them, but haven't grown any. There's more info HERE and HERE.

They appear to be often compared to a mild Jalapeno. I have a few of the Hungarian Yellow Hot's on the grow and am waiting to see how they taste. Pretty prolific plant.

these seem to be a rather quick maturing plant so i will be growing them next year since the weather here sucks.

great looking pods and plant...hope the weather holds for a nice fall harest..

N_FF said:
these seem to be a rather quick maturing plant so i will be growing them next year since the weather here sucks.

I've got the same problem here in B.C. that's why I plan on overwintering some of the hotter/slower growing plants for next year. It's a bit of a long process, but hopefully I can find a few of them that I really like before the end of summer so I know which ones I want to keep around.

Back