• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Heritage Big Jim

Anyone grow these? I hear they're better than normal Big Jims. also wondering how the Heritage 6-4 compare to the Heritage Big Jims?
if anyone happens to have a few seeds, toss me a message. i have a few things for swap here.

I have grown both the standards and the Heritage variants ..... Based on the small number of each I grow, I do not recall a significant difference between the two.  6-4 is even milder than Big Jim in my environment.  I grow Big Jim's, 6-4s, Sandias, Lumbres and Barker's Hot; but no more than 2-4 plants of each.  

just recently read this: https://www.abqjournal.com/1061463/more-flavorful-chile-developed.html

"...feedback from growers led researchers to redevelop the NuMex 6-4 breed of chile as the NuMex Heritage 6-4, and the New Mexico Big Jim chile as NuMex Big Jim. They have five to six times the flavor as the standard green chile that you see out on the roadside,”

another article says something similar with flavor being 500% "better"
edit: well i suppose the stated improvements is over a typical chile, not that its 500% better than a Big Jim. :P
i recall hearing others mention the Heritage Big Jim grew larger fruit compared to the Big Jim. could be one of those ymmv i suppose.

Check out the Ms. Junie seeds on the ChileseedsUSA site. Super heavy producer, thick walled, and about a 4-5 on the red/green Chile scale, with xxx lumbre being the hottest. Can't go wrong with Midwestchileheads either. Cheers! 

Voodoo 6 said:
Check out the Ms. Junie seeds on the ChileseedsUSA site. Super heavy producer, thick walled, and about a 4-5 on the red/green Chile scale, with xxx lumbre being the hottest. Can't go wrong with Midwestchileheads either. Cheers! 
Ahhhh yes.  Good catch Voodoo.  I grow Ms. Junie as well.  How could I forget!  My Ms. Junies were near the top of my best varieties last year.  I've got some germinating now.  Highly recommended.  

so, it looks like they made a confusing mess with these new improved peppers called Heritage Big jim, Heritage NuMex 6-4, etc.

some seed places are now calling the previous Big Jims, Legacy Big Jim while the new improved variety are just called Big Jim, at least based on a few seed places i've checked with, but not all places..
this creates a f**king nightmare when ordering seeds, now as you have no idea if the sellers has updated/added "Legacy" to their old version or if their even calling the new improved version Heritage..

they need to start making it mandatory that all old seeds are destroyed from commercial seed banks if they are no longer being cultivated and replaced with a newer/improved version.. it's unclear whether the old Big Jims (now called "Legacy" Big Jim by some) are eventually going to be phased out.

Kind of the reason I usually prefer trading with other people and locals whenever possible, save myself of a headache with unregulated seed naming practices. ;)

anyhow, i did manage to get some of these "Heritage" seeds locally from a friend at a nursery. :)

So in a nutshell, the Heritage Big Jim = more robust chile flavor, and increase fruit yield 10-15% over the "Legacy" Big Jims, fruit size is about the same in both.

I grew a really nice crop of NuMex Big Jims from Tradewinds Fruit seed last year. 

I'm having no luck whatsoever germinating seed from that harvest, disheartening to the point of looking into the possibility of having bought a terminator variety...To my shame I found that though the science and process exists, it's not legal in the US.

...and here I sent Big Jim seed from that harvest to friends here... :(

stettoman said:
I grew a really nice crop of NuMex Big Jims from Tradewinds Fruit seed last year. 

I'm having no luck whatsoever germinating seed from that harvest, disheartening to the point of looking into the possibility of having bought a terminator variety...To my shame I found that though the science and process exists, it's not legal in the US.

...and here I sent Big Jim seed from that harvest to friends here... :(

You sent me some of those seeds - still nothing but appreciation.  The P Dreadie's you sent me went 6/6 and the Ecuador Red Rocoto are 7/8 so far.  I put the Big Jim's in to soak tonight right before I read this and only a few because your others popped at such a high rate.  Went back just now and dropped in a few more to improve the odds.  Hopefully your bad luck was just an anomaly and the next round is good. Not the end of the world if they terminated them but what a crappy thing to do.

CaneDog said:

You sent me some of those seeds - still nothing but appreciation.  The P Dreadie's you sent me went 6/6 and the Ecuador Red Rocoto are 7/8 so far.  I put the Big Jim's in to soak tonight right before I read this and only a few because your others popped at such a high rate.  Went back just now and dropped in a few more to improve the odds.  Hopefully your bad luck was just an anomaly and the next round is good. Not the end of the world if they terminated them but what a crappy thing to do.
Yeah Dog, please let me know how those do...the seed from Tradewinds made for an excellent bulk of peppers, I figured I'd get even better this year, but still no germ. I went ahead and found the leftovers from Tradewinds and planted them just to see. It's early enough I can buy more seed, just discouraging. Anaheim is THE all-around pepper in this house.

stettoman said:
Yeah Dog, please let me know how those do...the seed from Tradewinds made for an excellent bulk of peppers, I figured I'd get even better this year, but still no germ. I went ahead and found the leftovers from Tradewinds and planted them just to see. It's early enough I can buy more seed, just discouraging. Anaheim is THE all-around pepper in this house.
Were the seeds you saved from fully ripe red pods?

stettoman said:
Yep, the few ripe ones I got, actually let 'em get close to shrivelling on the vine. They were the first pods to set and the last picked.
Just checkin on ya man. But, it may be the first pods set thing. I have had times where I only got 1 or 2 ripe pods on a plant before frost and occasionally the seeds were not viable.

skullbiker said:
Just checkin on ya man. But, it may be the first pods set thing. I have had times where I only got 1 or 2 ripe pods on a plant before frost and occasionally the seeds were not viable.

And this may be the case here. Beggars can't be choosers in Zone 3, but it's funny odd: both the Antep Aci Dolmas and the Antakes, seed from last years harvest, germinated 100%, same conditions, same 'first pods'.

I'm happy to share whatever seeds I get from this seasons harvest. i'll probably update the thread later in the season on their progress.

these kind of peppers (new mexico/hatch style) are awesome for roasting/grilling, making rellenos and pickling them.

Back