• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Hesi coco 1-component fertilizer for coco growing

karoo said:
Jip , Looking good!

Yep, curious to see how around 30 euros vs 84 euros fertilizer performs in the pod production in the coming months. For now the easy of use will go to the Hesi coco, cant get much easier than that mixing nutes from a single bottle.

Chilidude said:

Yep, curious to see how around 30 euros vs 84 euros fertilizer performs in the pod production in the coming months. For now the easy of use will go to the Hesi coco, cant get much easier than that mixing nutes from a single bottle.
Although we are at extreme opposites of the earth and growing conditions , it's still very interesting.

Much easier to just stick them in the compost and let them grow. :party:

Another Hesi coco update is due time. Hot paper lantern started pod production few days ago when day and night temps started to become more stable:

The easy to grow Lemon drop is doing fine as usual:

I see a lot of flower buds forming in this Aji cristal:

All plants have been watered with the less than optimal tapwater for several weeks, but they are still going strong. Hesi coco fertilizer seem to be working just fine for chili growing based on the results thus far and hey it is really easy to use too on top of all that. :cheers:

Dude, you've convinced me the HESI Coco nutes are worth trying rather than my dirt cheap 3-1-4 nutes, so thanks for sharing your promising results, especially compared to the expensive GH ones! [emoji846]

I've bought myself a 5L bottle and have just added it to my plants at half strength. Did you also slowly ramp up to the 50ml/L? And with your tap water, did you adjust pH at all or just took it straight? I've been adjusting with acetic acid for the past 2 weeks, but still feel my plants could look a little healthier/greener, and my B.O.C has opened quite a few flowers but doesn't seem to be producing pøllen, so hopefully this fertiliser will kick them into high gear. I went with the coco version instead of soil as I'm growing in 50:50 coco/soil, which I hope will be fine.

Will report on results in my glog, but just wanted to give a shout out for your efforts as I was indeed keen on trying some better quality nutes but don't want to spend a small fortune either...

Sent from my ZTE A2017G using Tapatalk

Yes, i have read very positive comments about these Hesi fertilizers from various different growers of the green stuff and few chili growers too, so you pretty much cant go wrong using Hesi base nutes. I just started with 40ml/10 litres of water indoor because the plants where already pretty big at that point and i did not know anything about the dosages at that time, but it worked fine either way without issues. However if i started using this stuff with seedlings and such, i would have to start using it with very mild dosages at first before i would start ramping it up to the growing dosage of course.

I have never adjusted any ph of my water thus far, but i left the water to sit around in the watering can for 24 hours before using it to mix the nutes in a separate container. I leave about one inch of the water inside the watering can unused and drain it away before filling it again with the new tapwater, because some of the crap in the tapwater will fall to the bottom of the watering can in 24 hours time. I always recomment using rainwater for you plants, if you are able to collect it for the best growing results.

Later i did some research for the dosages with this Hesi coco and have this info for you to try:

For growing:

30ml/10 litres of water.

For the blooming stage:

50ml/10 litres of water.

These dosages are for coco coir of course, so you might want to give a little bit less with the 50:50 coco/soil mix, but adjusting the dosages seem easy enough because it is only one bottle. :rolleyes:

For the soil/coco mix you could try these dosages:

For growing:

10-15ml/10 litres of water.

For the blooming stage:

25ml/10 litres of water.

Chilidude said:
Yes, i have read very positive comments about these Hesi fertilizers from various different growers of the green stuff and few chili growers too, so you pretty much cant go wrong using Hesi base nutes. I just started with 40ml/10 litres of water indoor because the plants where already pretty big at that point and i did not know anything about the dosages at that time, but it worked fine either way without issues. However if i started using this stuff with seedlings and such, i would have to start using it with very mild dosages at first before i would start ramping it up to the growing dosage of course.

I have never adjusted any ph of my water thus far, but i left the water to sit around in the watering can for 24 hours before using it to mix the nutes in a separate container. I leave about one inch of the water inside the watering can unused and drain it away before filling it again with the new tapwater, because some of the crap in the tapwater will fall to the bottom of the watering can in 24 hours time. I always recomment using rainwater for you plants, if you are able to collect it for the best growing results.

Later i did some research for the dosages with this Hesi coco and have this info for you to try:

For growing:

30ml/10 litres of water.

For the blooming stage:

50ml/10 litres of water.

These dosages are for coco coir of course, so you might want to give a little bit less with the 50:50 coco/soil mix, but adjusting the dosages seem easy enough because it is only one bottle. :rolleyes:

For the soil/coco mix you could try these dosages:

For growing:

10-15ml/10 litres of water.

For the blooming stage:

25ml/10 litres of water.
Thanks for the advice! Indeed I'm looking into possible ways to collect rainwater, but they're generally not the most esthetically pleasing looking things... ;) But I'll stay away from adjusting pH for now, to see what difference just the new nutes make.

So am I right in assuming that because I have a bit of soil in my pots, it will be better at retaining the various nutrients in the Hesi and therefore should be using lower dosages? I will for sure stick to 25ml/10L for now, and see if going any higher will be worth trying in some weeks.

I also have an overwintered orange hab in my office which must have dropped 100 flowers by now, so hopefully the Hesi nutes will turn this one around too as it has plenty of sunshine and a fan blowing on it at various times of the day to help the pollination - there simply didn't seem to be any pollen on the flowers.

And totally hope you're right about not being able to go wrong with these, your results thus far certainly promise great things! [emoji6]

lespaulde said:
So am I right in assuming that because I have a bit of soil in my pots, it will be better at retaining the various nutrients in the Hesi and therefore should be using lower dosages? I will for sure stick to 25ml/10L for now, and see if going any higher will be worth trying in some weeks.

That is the general idea behind the lower dosages when using soil mix with these nutes, you certainly dont want to overfeed the plants.

Chilidude said:

And generally peppers only start doing pods when all their needs are met, so even the best of nutrients wont work if something else is wrong in the growing area.

Generally, yes, but they'll also pod up when thoroughly stressed.  But you'll know what's up when that happens. 
That's your plant attempting to fulfil its biological mandate, before it dies.

Some fresh pics of the Hesi coco plants are here:

Lemon drop is still fine and the Aji cristal growing slowed down some after it finally entered in the flowering stage.

Hot paper lantern is doing ok too and it is still the only c.chinense that have actually made any pods thus far:

Few pods are growing in the lower branches, but the main pod production time is not yet here:

Looking really healthy! And already pods on the chinense that far north?! :dance: Especially the hot paper lantern looks so lush and green! What are your average temps in there during day and night time?

And certainly agree that the nutes won't change a thing about the other environmental variables, but I figured I needed to boost my phosphor levels a little and then why not use a 1-component fert that will last the next 2-3 years easily. Hopefully the little princesses get everything they need now... ;)

lespaulde said:
Looking really healthy! And already pods on the chinense that far north?! :dance: Especially the hot paper lantern looks so lush and green! What are your average temps in there during day and night time?

I am sure that the rainwater have a big part to play for the lush and healthy looking growing of the chilis with all that random birdpoop washing up to the rainwater collector. 

Hot paper pantern comes from Peru and i usually have more luck growing chilis that comes from that country, that any other country chilis. Average day time temps right now is around 18-15C and the nightime temps are hovering in the 8-10 C, the coming next month is usually when the average temps start to rise and that is about when the real pod production starts.

karoo said:
Your mid summer temperatures are just scary.
Mid winter here now with slightly higher midday average and minimum of 3-4 C .
Best of luck to you !!

They are not scary at all and lately we entered the usual rain a lot part of the season, but the rising air moisture combined with the rising temps will make the chili really happy.

Chilidude said:
Another Hesi coco update is due time. Hot paper lantern started pod production few days ago when day and night temps started to become more stable:

why are leaves yellow-green?

lek said:

why are leaves yellow-green?

Some varieties of chilis are just lighter green than others, but i would not say it is yellow green in reality. Actually IMO the very deep green color in the leaves is not that ideal of a situation, when it comes to the best chili pod production in the end and the chilis growing in coco coir in general seems to have a bit lighter green colored leaves than the ones growing in soil.

Chilidude said:
Actually IMO the very deep green color in the leaves is not that ideal of a situation, when it comes to the best chili pod production
Why would you say that???

If I have the choice, I want the healthiest possible plant, at all times.

solid7 said:
Why would you say that???

If I have the choice, I want the healthiest possible plant, at all times.

Because that is what i have noted during the years of growing in coco coir, that the deep green color of the leaves is not the whole truth when it comes to the actual pod production of the plant overall and as they say opinions are like assholes, everyone have one.

Back