grills Heston's new grill.

Looks like a hard drive lol

Scoville DeVille said:
I could see how you would like it tho Grant, it is very stylish. Only one thing tho, you can't use it indoors at your desk. LOLOL

Funny, Grant buys a lot but I see him buy function over form. Mostly to work and eat, or get the most out of a certain cooking function, or to try a new style (wok, Santa Maria).

The thing is a lot of these new toys are "craft gadgets." Yes, if I am not the first to coin this term, I hope it goes viral. A lot start on kickstarter, others appear from famous chefs, others are major companies trying to get in on it (Weber to compete with BGE. That is most def a craft gadget.). 

They have to be stylish to attract your eye but don't discount the function. A lot of these craft gadgets outperform traditional methods, but do cost coin. Even salsalady rode the craft gadget train with the cast iron.

:)

I agree 100% ...

The Paragon induction burner is a (GE skunkworks) FirstBuild craft gadget ... it rocks.

There's an all-in-one brew system coming from a Whirlpool skunkworks design team that'd making waves in the homebrew community right now because a) the conical's pressurized so you can carb naturally using the byproducts of ferm, and b) the patented a cool valve at the bottom to be able to harvest the yeast for the next batch without losing a drop of beer ...

Some things have fallen short, but there's more successes than failures for sure.

PS - the one's backed by skunkworks teams from big co's are AWESOME ... they're well-engineered, backed in terms of future parts, and are offered under-value in the crowdfunding stage ...

sheesh kelly johnson would be rolling in his grave is he saw you comparing fucking appliance developers to the skunkworks.
grantmichaels said:
Def has an Apple design feel ...

While this isn't something I'll be buying, I like the fact that you work it on all sides ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GeCNKVojE5w
yea but apple shit is actually new and interesting in addition to looking good.

this is literally just an open pit bbq(i forget the real name)in a fancy looking package.

at the very least i would think they could include some damper actuators and rudimentary temp control?

god even just an automatic rotisserie heigh adjustment in response to the temperature?

this is just like... one of those kit cars you make from a Volkswagen. all looks and no substance.

I'd rather see an active industry than a stale industy. It keeps everyone on their toes, it doesn't mean you have to like every grill introduced. But it keeps things fresh.

knowledge _is_power.jpg

They're very well regarded as grills, and probably make a better classic grill than a Weber for grilling, but a Weber is really a 'platform' at this point - with mods to extend them in numerous ways ...

I don't think there are going to be relatively inexpensive kits for smoking, pizza, santa maria, rotisserie etc for a PK in the immediate future ...

As a plstform, being able to count on buying a replacement 22.5" Weber in the future and having your existing mods still conform to it is part of what makes them so excellent ...

I almost bought a PK two years ago, and it might very well be a better Summer grill - but I'm happy I stuck with the Weber platform all the same ...

I bought a Chef's Camp or something like that brand table meant to use Dutch Oven's on ... and a Raichlen Tuscan grill to place over it ...

Separately, I snagged a pellet grill/smoker - which is an all-wood cook if you are using the right pellets ...

Lastly, in the same direction, I added a santa maria mod for the Weber kettle, that's used like a classic BBQ pit with grate on a pulley ...

Back