Hey everybody

I've been following this website for over a year now, but I finally decided to man up and get an account. I'm from Boise, ID but I'm currently in Provo, UT while my wife goes to school. I grew a single plant last year which was badly hail damaged and never produced any fruit. This year I'm going a little bit bigger. I'm growing yellow 7 pot, reaper, douglah, morugas, aji lemon, datil, elephant ear, trinidad perfume, bishop crown, white ghost, red ghost, I'm sure there are more, but I don't remember. I plan on keeping at least two or more of each variety and giving away extra plants to friends, family, and whoever else might want them. I'm germinating plenty. Anyway, I've been following most of you for quite some time now. I feel like I know several people here fairly well, and I'm finally one of you. Looking forward to many years of growing with you all!

I do plan on starting a glog, but before I do, maybe you guys can help me out. My reapers are really struggling. Planted them with all my other plants and only a few came up and the ones that did do not look healthy at all
The healthy looking one on the top right is not a reaper, unfortunately. The rest are

:welcome: to THP! I would suggest posting some pictures of those reapers in the "Growing Hot Peppers" subforum. It might help the more experienced folks to diagnose the problem and give advice. FWIW, my reapers seem to grow a bit more slowly than most of my other seedlings.

Sorry, apparently cannot upload from my phone here's the pictures:
This one seems to have some kind of mutant triple cotyledon...
20150309_212746.jpg

and here's the rest. The one on the top right is not a reaper, unfortunately.
20150309_212818.jpg

Hmmm, the 3 reapers that i have do have some unusual features to their leaves, but i haven't seen a triple cotyledon yet. Looks like those reaper seedlings don't even have their true leaves yet. I'm thinking it may be a little early to label them as "struggling" just yet. How long since they sprouted? Maybe they just need a little more time. It might be interesting to see how your "mutant" reaper develops...

BlackFatalii said:
Hmmm, the 3 reapers that i have do have some unusual features to their leaves, but i haven't seen a triple cotyledon yet. Looks like those reaper seedlings don't even have their true leaves yet. I'm thinking it may be a little early to label them as "struggling" just yet. How long since they sprouted? Maybe they just need a little more time. It might be interesting to see how your "mutant" reaper develops...
They sprouted probably a week ago, along with several other seedlings. The others all seem to be doing quite well, but for some reason these are pretty stagnant. I will give them more time and hope they pick up. A few sprouted with no cotyledon and died pretty quickly. I just hope I can hang onto the ones that did come up. I guess we will see what comes of my mutant tricot reaper!

Well, like I said my reapers have been growing slower than my other seedlings too. The biggest one is about 3 weeks old. It has 2 sets of true leaves and is starting on its third set. It measures all of 1.5 inches tall (I just checked) but seems hale and hearty enough. Meanwhile, some other seedlings that were planted on the same day are already nearly 4 inches tall. I think reapers may just be slow starters. Give them time  :)

Welcome from Slovenia.

I actually have a few sprouts this year with tripple cotys, but will have to check which ones they are. I wonder what's the cause, if there is any.

Back