Hey now from San Jose

Hi all.  Been lurking for a couple of weeks and finally signed up.  This year I'm growing Red Savina, Golden Habanero, Chocolate Habanero, & Pepperoncini peppers.  I'm particularly excited about the Chocolate Habaneros as I've never been able to get them to germinate in years past.  I'm an avid homebrewer and grow hops as well.  Looking forward to checking out more of the forum as I've mostly stuck to the growing section.  Thanks!

Dan

Welcome from Colorado. I grew the Savina and Chocolate Habs last year. Nice choice. Both are very good. My Avatar pic to the left is Red Savina. Good luck with your grow.

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

My hometown :) do you have good success in sj? I remember it being awfully wet and cool.. but it may be that I've been stuck in the desert of SoCal too long, most things are wet and cool by comparison.

I'm growing chocolate habs too :)

Please post a growlog, your garden sounds great, I'd love to see your hops.

Slizarus said:
My hometown :) do you have good success in sj? I remember it being awfully wet and cool.. but it may be that I've been stuck in the desert of SoCal too long, most things are wet and cool by comparison.

I'm growing chocolate habs too :)

Please post a growlog, your garden sounds great, I'd love to see your hops.

Generally speaking, with the jalapenos and habaneros I've grown in the past, I've had a lot of success.  San Jose isn't typically wet and cool.  This is especially true for the south end where I'm located.  We've been in a years long drought and temps are expected to be in the triple digits today.  Wish I had A/C...  Really looking forward to (finally) having some chocolate habs!  :)

*edit*  Forgot to mention the hops.  I had two established hop plants (in ground) for a number of years that produced quite a bit.  But they were huge and I got tired of the varieties.  Two years ago I dug them up.  I waited a year to make sure nothing sprouted up.  Then this year I planted two different varieties (Columbus and Cascade) and at the last minute I decided to put them in containers since digging up the previous ones were a royal pain.  Since they're first year, I don't expect much in the way of production.  I've never attempted to grow in containers before and I have my fingers crossed that they do okay.  They look okay at the moment.  I'll see if I can post a growlog.

Yup, just my childhood memories then :p plus there wasn't a drought then I think.

Anyways, yeah I'd be interested in seeing how hops does in a container. Is it just the flowers used in brewing?

Slizarus said:
Yup, just my childhood memories then :P plus there wasn't a drought then I think.

Anyways, yeah I'd be interested in seeing how hops does in a container. Is it just the flowers used in brewing?
Yup, just the flowers.  The problem with homegrown hops is that there is no easy and cost effective way to measure the alpha acids (source of hop bitterness) in the resin glands of the flowers.  It's very expensive to have a lab analysis done. 

Essentially homebrewers are limited in homegrown hop use for only flavoring and aroma in their beers...not for any bittering.  If one were to use for bittering, the batch is a total crap shoot. 

Back