• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hi All !! New to this forum.

Great forum here for all us confirmed pepper addicts.

I've been reading a lot of the threads here and there seems to be a lot of knowledge and experience on these forums.

This is my third year growing hot peppers and the weather up here in the great white north is not cooperating this year. It's been very cold, cloudy and rainy here this year. My poor peppers are looking sad. Started them inside under flourescent grow lamps around the first of March and then mooved them out to my heated greenhouse when they got too tall for my inside growing shelf ( about 8 " high). I mooved them out onto the roof of my shed a little over three weeks ago when the weather seemed to be taking a turn for the better and looking like normal late May weather for Vancouver. But since then the weather turned has been consistently cloudy and rainy with virtually no sun and temperatures averaging at least 4-5 deg C below normal for this time of year. Last night it got down to 7C (45F)and the high today was 13C (55F).

I hope we get some sun and heat up here soon. Don't know how much more of this my chineese varieties can take. They seem to be doing the worst compared to the annuum varieties that seem to be handling the cold better.

Unfortunately I can't moove them back into the greenhouse because it is full of tomatoes.

Photo of the pepper plants on the shed June 10th http://ppupug.bay.livefilestore.com...WbEzGjTPmUVeYKD3j8prRe1zXN8KVwK3/P1170477.JPG

http://www.thechileman.org/growing_...,3187,1373,3041,1524,4028,1369,1529,1346,1133

Welcome to THP chilinut, many nutty people here. Nice list of peppers they should be fine being it is june and you live in the northern hemisphere.

Well I live in the same area as you and I can sympathize with the horrid weather. All of my pepper plants are doing horrible.

Have you had much success in previous years growing outdoors?

Where did you get your seeds?

Welcome aboard from Ohio. BTW, I like the use of your roof :) I might have to remember that next year (I have a small flat roof portion of my house that would prob work out well)...

Welcome from Fort Worth

Hi lostmind

lostmind said:
Well I live in the same area as you and I can sympathize with the horrid weather. All of my pepper plants are doing horrible.

Have you had much success in previous years growing outdoors?

Where did you get your seeds?

Some relief might be in sight lostmind.

The forecast is for sun (whats that?)with cloudy periods on the weekend and then sunny with a high of 21C on Monday so hopefully that starts a trend that sticks around for a while.

2006 was my first year growing hot peppers and they did quite well. I grew some Habneros,Jalapenos,Hungarian Yellows, Hot Red Cherry,Super Chili,Thai Dragon, Hot Red Portugal. I used seeds that year from one of the local seed companies Westcoast seeds. They had good germination rates but they don`t carry too many varieties of hot peppers. I also used seeds from Johnny`s Seeds that year. They also had very good germination .

2007 I didn`t have time to start from seed so I grew seedlings from the local nurseries. Even though last summer was somewhat wet, the average temperatures were warmer than this year and it was the first year I used the roof of my shed where the peppers get full sun from sun up to around 6PM. They grew very well.

This year I got seeds from Johnny`s, Reimer and Nicky`s seeds in the UK. The seeds from Johnny`s and Nicky`s had very quick and good germination rates including the Tepin and Naga Morich seeds. All the seeds from Reimer were considerably slower to germinate and one variety fom Reimer (Jamaican Gold Bonnet) had 0 germination. They were all grown in the same soil, same spot, same temperature 85F.

chilinut said:
All the seeds from Reimer were considerably slower to germinate and one variety fom Reimer (Jamaican Gold Bonnet) had 0 germination. They were all grown in the same soil, same spot, same temperature 85F.

If you had found this forum before you ordered your seeds you would probably not have ordered any from Reimers...do a search here for reamers and read the comments...

Welcome from Ohio oops, I mean Indiana. ;^)
Waht are you complaining about? Your plants look good. The Chinenses look great!
Theat tomato platn is awesome too.
I hope tha roof doesn't get too hot for ya.
I like a colder climate myself. this heat bites. ;*))

Doh! I wrote a post and it didn't get accepted due to missing security tokens or something, oh well....

Chilinut, your plants look amazing! When did you start them?

I'm growing everything but the ancho chiles from Westcoast seeds (these guys have a store in delta I've been meaning to visit but never get around to it). I'm also growing a couple of sweet peppers from them and Salt Spring seeds.

Out of curiousity, I built a mini greenhouse over one row of my peppers using wire hoops and poly clipped to them. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. I think the amount of light being blocked by the poly is going to outweigh any benefits...

Maybe this fairytale of sun in our forecast will come true though... :)

Back