hi from australia (melbourne, victoria)

Hi all,

I finally bought my first house with my wife (December last year). It's got a small area for a garden. It's located near box hill in Melbourne, Victoria.

This is the first time that we have had a patch to grow plants in, so I'm excited about the upcoming spring and looking forward to growing chillies (and increasing my tolerance at the same time!). Prior to this we used to live in apartments and the plants would always be buffeted by winds.

We started last spring a bit late, and managed to grow pardons, birds eyes, black Cubans, and bulls horn capsicums. Also, I have planted citrus trees to help my wife (she's a pastry chef by trade).

I'm liking looking at all the grow logs, and can't wait to start my own!

Reactions: Tex
:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Shorerider said:
Welcome local Aussie. I'd be happy to trade some chilli seedlings for some fresh pastries.

Let me know....

I might just have to take you up on this once I work out what plants I have. :)

I bought a small greenhouse/jiffy pods setup for inside and have punt in an assortment of capsicum, tomatoes, eggplants, pumpkins and chillies seeds.

I initially planted jay's peach ghost, bhut jolokia, peter pepper (for my mum as a joke), and also lilac cayenne.

Of those, I have had the peach ghost and the lilac cayenne germinate, and once I had space for more jiffy pods i'll put in chocolate habaneros and white habaneros (I'm moving things into 100mm pots to let them get bigger inside until I can transfer them outside once it warms up.

Also, I bought a set of 16 different chilli seeds from peru including rocoto and charapita which I'd love to grow.

I've also had padrons, a black Cuban, an Italian fryer and a bull's horn overwinter (the black Cuban is touch and go). 

I'll put up pics once I get the chance.

Questions:

Are there any sources that will post 7 pots and brainstrains to Australia?

Also, have many people tried to espalier chilli plants along wires?

I have many Rocoto seedlings, so I'm sure I could spare a few if you need them. I also have some others I could trade.

I'll even throw in as many 20L plastic drums as you can handle for free.

For seeds you can't get via trade see here:

http://junglerain.com.au

Cheers........

SteveBrisbane said:
I live in Australia and have many 7 pot varieties - PM me your address and what you're looking for and I can send you some seeds.

Oh - and  :welcome:

Shorerider said:
I have many Rocoto seedlings, so I'm sure I could spare a few if you need them. I also have some others I could trade.

I'll even throw in as many 20L plastic drums as you can handle for free.

For seeds you can't get via trade see here:

http://junglerain.com.au

Cheers........
wow, this forum has totally blown me away with generosity :)

Back