Hi from Community Chilli Grow Newb from UK

Hi all

I'm a new chilli grower setting up a community chilli grow (and other things) at my local leisure centre in Worthing on the south coast of the UK.

I used to grow 5-10 chilli plants a year (incorrectly) but we have upscaled a little.

We work with lots of different needs groups - but mainly those who find access to the work place difficult such as learning disabled, health problems or long term unemployed.

We have been sowing seed since January and we have accidently ended up with about 650 chilli plants - about half of which will be sold as plants and the others being grown on to sell fruit and to produce a range of jams and sauces.

We are mainly growing super-hots but also have some  pubescens, baccatum and annuum on the go.

We also aim to be doing this sustainably - so are working to get solar and rain water havesting on site as well as next year - heating our polyt tunnels with rocket mass stoves using local waste biomass.

I help a friend to run Lewes Chilli Day and we hope to be having our own community chilli fair in Worthing.

I'm not sure how it happened but chillies have taken over my life - so here I am!

:welcome: from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Keith SustSussex said:
Hi all

I'm a new chilli grower setting up a community chilli grow (and other things) at my local leisure centre in Worthing on the south coast of the UK.

I used to grow 5-10 chilli plants a year (incorrectly) but we have upscaled a little.

We work with lots of different needs groups - but mainly those who find access to the work place difficult such as learning disabled, health problems or long term unemployed.

We have been sowing seed since January and we have accidently ended up with about 650 chilli plants - about half of which will be sold as plants and the others being grown on to sell fruit and to produce a range of jams and sauces.

We are mainly growing super-hots but also have some  pubescens, baccatum and annuum on the go.

We also aim to be doing this sustainably - so are working to get solar and rain water havesting on site as well as next year - heating our polyt tunnels with rocket mass stoves using local waste biomass.

I help a friend to run Lewes Chilli Day and we hope to be having our own community chilli fair in Worthing.

I'm not sure how it happened but chillies have taken over my life - so here I am!

Can someone please translate this for me, I can't understand a bloody thing he said with that thick UK accent. Sheesh!!!!

Welcome from OZ mate.  :rofl:

SR.

Back