Hi, from Melbourne

Hi everyone,

I used to be quite active growing chillies, saving seeds, and in the online chilli community, but had to stop for a few years due to living in apartments and losing access to a garden and also losing a personal bank of saved seeds. I'm back now, after moving into a house with a big garden. Unfortunately it's Autumn here in Melbourne, but I have been busy digging new beds, which I've prepared with manure and compost and planted with Winter vegetables. They should be in good shape for Spring. I have planted a rocoto which I found languishing in a local nursery. They do well in Melbourne. I'm also considering attempting to over-winter some bhut jolokia plants I found in the same nursery. I also have a magnificent, 2 year old tepin plant in a pot.

I already have my stash of seeds in a container in the fridge. Current listing is: piri-piri, red rocoto, fatalii, anaheim, long red slim, bhut jolokia, butch t trinidad scorpion and naga morich. The superhots I'm just growing out of interest because I've never grown anything hotter than habs before.

My all time favourite chilli is piri-piri. I had plants that were very productive and perennial here, originally from seeds I collected in Portugal. I was overjoyed to purchase some piri-piri seeds from Two Wings Farm in the US (www.twowingsfarm.com). Really looking forward to trying these out, as the lovely people there (I have no commercial relationship with them) tell me they are genuine, close-pollinated seeds from pods originally collected in Portugal.

I'm also hoping to get hold of some more seeds: looking for pimenta de cheiro, malagueta, eximium, aji amarillo, chacoense and ancho for a start.

I lived in NE Brazil for a couple of years, so I'm very familiar with and fond of the hot food and chillies from the north-east. I adore the "molho de pimenta" they make there to accompany almost anything. I learned the right way to make that by watching various people make it and will post a recipe here.

Anyway - sorry for the long rambling post! Hi to everyone again.

John

:welcome: from sunny South Florida! :woohoo:

Hi to everyone and thanks for all the welcomes.

Florida, huh? Isn't there a Melbourne there that's named after the Melbourne where I live? Funny how these things happen - I've just decided to get "Adaptation" out for a second viewing. That's set partly in Florida.

John

¡Hola! and welcome from south FL
880smile-1.png

Back