Hi from Perth, Western Australia

Hi I'm from Perth W.A

I'm basically new to gardening, not just growing peppers, so my knowledge is pretty limited. Hoping to learn a lot from both fellow members, and my own experiences.

Started late in the season and bought 3 plants, a White Hab, Carribean Red, and a 7 pot/pod. Unfortunately been an uphill battle with the horrible weather we had in Perth over Summer. Plus I've also encountered a spider mite problem which was another setback. But, I'm still keen to continue and learn as much as I can(I think the bug has well and truly bitten). I'm already understanding how growing peppers can be both rewarding and frustrating. I've already received some seeds from THSC in anticipation of next season.

Hope to speak to a few of you soon.

:welcome:

Hi

I've just finished my first season here in Perth.

The key things I've learned are :
Don't let them overheat or dry out in the hot sun, by using mulch and some sort of shade like shadecloth. This is very important for pots. They will need shelter from wind too.
If you can keep them alive through the hottest part of summer, the production goes on for a long time. I still have pods setting and ripening now and its almost winter.
We are really lucky here with the weather, I'm already starting a few seedlings inside for next season. When they are slightly bigger they will go into a greenhouse until the cold is over.

Good luck with your growing :D

:welcome:

Hi

I've just finished my first season here in Perth.

The key things I've learned are :
Don't let them overheat or dry out in the hot sun, by using mulch and some sort of shade like shadecloth. This is very important for pots. They will need shelter from wind too.
If you can keep them alive through the hottest part of summer, the production goes on for a long time. I still have pods setting and ripening now and its almost winter.
We are really lucky here with the weather, I'm already starting a few seedlings inside for next season. When they are slightly bigger they will go into a greenhouse until the cold is over.

Good luck with your growing :D

Thanks for that megamoo. Any tips are greatly appreciated. They stayed alive through summer but where dropping a hell of a lot of flowers. But yeh I've had a fair few flowers come through on the White Hab in the past week despite it getting a bit cold at night
This will be the first time I've grown something from a seed so the pressure will be on. I don't have the luxury of a greenhouse so I was thinking of starting the seedlings at a later date?

So how did you go for the first season anyway?

Most of mine had flower drop too. I had six orange habanero's which were sheltered from the wind and sun, they did well despite the heat My first season went ok considering all the disturbing outside factors I had to content with. I definitely leant a lot, and this forum is the place for growing info!

If you don't have a spot that is warm and lit, like inside under lights or by a window then I think you should start them a bit later. I bet you could find room for one pot though ;)

Yeh I would probably be able to find some space somewhere :lol:. Might try and start up a couple of seeds of each variety in a week or so and leave the rest for later on.
I can see how this growing goes from hobby to obsession quite quickly.
Moved the plants into the garage before with this strong weather warning for tonight. Looks like it could get quite windy.

Back