• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hibernation

I'm starting to plan overwintering my peppers and would like to know if there are proven ways to make peppers hibernate through winter. I'm planning on bringing more than 10 5-7 gal pots inside and don't want to invest in grow lights for so many plants. Also I want to avoid aphids infestation (happened last year). I'm planning to cut them down really short ( bonchi style) but don't now how to actually make them hibernate (slow down they growth as much as possible). Over the years I had a few plants that were hibernating/being stunted involuntary for weeks, but I'm not sure how to make it intentionally. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the link. I read it before but it's not what I'm looking for. I don't want just to overwinter them, I want to find ways for them to be dormant as much as possible - no growth at all if possible. The way I see it I have to find optimal stem size, root size, pot size, watering schedule, temperature and lighting (or absence of it) for the plants to stop growing at all, but not die for a few months.

hotchill said:
Thanks for the link. I read it before but it's not what I'm looking for. I don't want just to overwinter them, I want to find ways for them to be dormant as much as possible - no growth at all if possible. The way I see it I have to find optimal stem size, root size, pot size, watering schedule, temperature and lighting (or absence of it) for the plants to stop growing at all, but not die for a few months.
The real problem with this is that chiles don't go dormant. You can cut them back and put them in a cold place, but they're just going to grow everything back again at a slower rate.

hotchill said:
Somewhere in that thread i sent you there is discussion making them go somewhat dormant.  I think cruzz is right as i understand it that they don't truly go dormant but they slow way down in low light and low temperature conditions.  

Back