• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

hiccups

Does anyone else get hiccups when they eat really hot peppers? Habaneros, extra hot jalapenos, hot serranos... etc. They all cause me to get the worst hiccups. Had my first whole raw habanero by its self and I had hiccups for half the burn.

I think it is the body trying to reject what you have just consumed. I have never had them from peppers though, mine all come from alcohol!

Some people call it "involuntary hiccups", as if all hiccups aren't!.

I get them sometimes when I eat something hotter than my comfort level. One of my local heat eaters doesn't consider it good unless it gives you the hiccups.

Yea I get them for a few seconds in the beginning and then they go away. I haven't experienced this with hot dishes. It only happens when I eat hot peppers straight up.

There are a few strange reactions to extremely hot peppers (or preceived hot by your body). These are what I've seen:
1. Hiccups- usually will go away atfer your tollerance beciomes high enough.
2. Excessive saliva- aka drooling. One guy I knew got it so bad that he would just hold a cup under his lip and let it stream out...one time he filled the cup to the half way point.
3. I can't remember the thrid one....I know there is a thrid one though...hmmmm....

I get them, then I get to laughing and the burn really gets going. :lol:

I also get the sneezes when I'm cutting peppers up for meals. Who knows.

nope, I've never got the hiccups from eating hot foods, pods or sauces.
but I'll get gut rot if I've ate really hot stuff. also have never puked from hot stuff either like some others have.

I get emm from eating raw peppers. Sometimes I get them other times I don't. I might eat some bih.J and nothing then have tinny little bit of a birds eye and off I go so it's very random for me.

Sometimes I get them too. I was always told that hiccups was a spasm of the diaphragm. Not sure how hot peppers affect the diaphragm or if it's even related.

Pam said:
I get them sometimes when I eat something hotter than my comfort level. One of my local heat eaters doesn't consider it good unless it gives you the hiccups.

imaguitargod said:
There are a few strange reactions to extremely hot peppers (or preceived hot by your body). These are what I've seen:

Yep, i get 'em and thats how i know it's really good and way hot.....although lately, i only get them from fatalii's and hotter, which means i don't get them too often anymore. But thats usually my cue to start doing a chicken dance too.

I can say that today I had a piece of a dried Fatalli while I was gardening...hot the hiccups for a 30 seconds? ...then the burn took over :)....and even the hiccups ran for it.

I don't think I've ever had hiccups from chiles, and rarely otherwise too.

Yay me...
uowyaydh5.gif

imaguitargod said:
2. Excessive saliva- aka drooling. One guy I knew got it so bad that he would just hold a cup under his lip and let it stream out...one time he filled the cup to the half way point.
3. I can't remember the thrid one....I know there is a thrid one though...hmmmm....

Ah yes! Now I remember the third one. It's extreme sweeting and it's hilarious!

Back