• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HID Lamp

BamsBBQ said:
"vacate houses" with foot traffic... people who didnt like them...lol

as long as you pay your power bill, the power company doesnt really care how much power you use... i used a 400 watt hps in one room for my fruit bearing plants. in another room i had all my cfl's set up for a germination room and fresh herbs like basil and cilantro - total with both rooms was somewhere around 800watts.....

ahh i bet your power is a hell of a lot cheaper than it is here what are you paying a kwh ?

Gary18 said:
ahh i bet your power is a hell of a lot cheaper than it is here what are you paying a kwh ?

I pay either 3.5 cents or 6.3 cents per kWh here, depending on how much I use :)

Txclosetgrower said:
I pay either 3.5 cents or 6.3 cents per kWh here, depending on how much I use :)

yeh id say thats pretty dam cheap i pay just over 10p a kwh

so thats 0.10 British pounds sterling = 0.14 US dollars so in us dollers thats 14 cents right ?

ExtremeBurn said:
haha... that'd be some shit! i'll stick to the legals! hahaha

1000w is pretty much only used in north america. You will get out the same amount of light/intensity from a good 600w bulb + a good reflector. the 600w gives most light/paid watt, and you can set the lamp closer to the canopy, with a goood reflector you can set it so close and get so good spread that yes, you wont get more results from the 1000w. maybe you got the joke, the joke wasnt that the light is illegal, its the herb that might be grown below it :)

no offense to my fellow american growers, but the 1000w only sells in the land of hummers and suvs :)

lavish said:
1000w is pretty much only used in north america. You will get out the same amount of light/intensity from a good 600w bulb + a good reflector. the 600w gives most light/paid watt, and you can set the lamp closer to the canopy, with a goood reflector you can set it so close and get so good spread that yes, you wont get more results from the 1000w. maybe you got the joke, the joke wasnt that the light is illegal, its the herb that might be grown below it :)

no offense to my fellow american growers, but the 1000w only sells in the land of hummers and suvs :)

That makes sense... I'm happy I went with the 400W, It's gonna be more than enough for what I'm using it for. From the land of Hummers and SUV's hahaha :lol:

ExtremeBurn said:
anyone ever try LED's? do they work or are they garbage? i almost bought some today, but wanted some input first

As for now they are garbage, the models that have least crappy spectrums have ridiculous startup prices. If you can buy one, cheap, crappy or not, at ebay or so... yes, for experimentation and fun, i dont discard them, or diy, why not. But with fluro/cfl, you can also get low electricbill + better results, you must search very very very good, to find a set of good reasons for going with LED and not fluro or CFL, a set of reasons that are not bogus and that will make you laugh after writing them down on a piece of paper, that is.

I also want to add, LED are certainly going to be the best alternative in the near or distant future, where only waiting for the research to take us to that point. Its the best alternative once the research have progressed some more.

Yeah, I haven't found anything really good about them online. I was gonna add some to help my seedlings along, but I've decided against it for now. Thx for your input

i have been experimenting with leds for a few months and have built afew of my own and they seem to be good for veg but flowering still needs work i managed to grow a small chilli from them
IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

yeh i would say my 125w enviro makes faster growth but leds use way way way less power so its still good over all

I got my lighting system in today... what's a good height for the light to be set at? Is it like 4 ft from plant canopy? I have a 400W Halide Bulb in at the moment.

about a foot or so as it depends on the airflow .
too close is fine with a good amount of air but too close with no air and you will cook the leaves!!

I have set a guy with 12 1000watt lights for his grow op and myself use a single 400watt for seedlings .

we grow peppers and flowers but the guy I help grows weed.

he is legal as he growsfor cancer patients.

you will have to learn how to grow all over again with these lights but its not too much of a change just better .

led lighting has a way to go but for now its just for fun.

shayneyasinski said:
about a foot or so as it depends on the airflow .
too close is fine with a good amount of air but too close with no air and you will cook the leaves!!

So a foot isn't too close even if they only have 1 true set of leaves?

Yes a foot is going to be too close and will cook your tiny plants. I don't know but a foot might be fine for weed, but you peppers seedlings need about two feet from the light if not more. You will make some mistakes until you find your sweet spot with your new light. The biggest thing with these lights is heat. You must have excellent air exchange if you are going to have success with HIDs.

Air cooled reflector FTW. I've had a 1000W HPS in a cool tube and even with a cheap fan the glass stayed cool to the touch. I don't know how people use HID lights without them.

Txclosetgrower said:
Air cooled reflector FTW. I've had a 1000W HPS in a cool tube and even with a cheap fan the glass stayed cool to the touch. I don't know how people use HID lights without them.

My 400W isn't really kickin off too much heat. I have mine set at 3ft above the plants just until they get acclimated to the new light then I'll play with height.

Mine won't be here until monday. Once it does I'll show you my ghetto setup for ventilating a cool tube. Involves 1 small round fan from walmart, some dryer duct & some tape.

Back