• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water High pH (9.6) tap water for irrigating raised bed. Any ideas?

So here in Austin our the pH out of the tap is 9.6 since we get our water out of a limestone aquifer. The first time I measured it I thought my pH meter was broken but the water quality report verifies it:

OYa0Slf.png

So the problem I have here is at my garden I don't really have access to power so I can't use my nifty DIY fertigation system I built a few years ago and we don't get enough rain during the season so I have to water pretty much constantly. I'm thinking about trying to add some kind of soil amendments to counter act the high pH of the water or maybe even building a raised gravity feed drip system where I can adjust the pH of the water. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to growing in soil, I am way more comfortable with hydro or soilless mixes.

In the past I've just watered this bed straight out of the hose which I think is probably why I've never had as good of luck growing plants in this bed as I do when growing in containers. I haven't had any signs of nutrient deficiency really but the plants just never get very big.

So anyone have any ideas on what I should do to offset this high pH water? 

Back