• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2012 Grow Log

I haven't made it to the super hot level yet, so not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but I like having one place to post all of my pictures throughout the season, so here goes.

2012 Preliminary Grow List:

Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Barker (NuMex)
Big Jim (NuMex)
Black Hungarian
Chile de Arbol
Chile Hidalgo (don't actually have seeds for this one yet)
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
Costeno Amarillo
Fish
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Peach
Hawaiian Sweet Hot
Inca Red Drop
Jalapeno 'Biker Billy' (The only hybrid on the list)
Jaloro
Japone
Jimmy Nardello
Lemon Drop
Melrose
NuMex Espanola Improved
NuMex Pinata (don't have seeds for this one yet either)
Patio Red Marconi
Piment 'd Espelette
Rain Forest
Rocotillo
Sante Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno
Tollie's Sweet Italian

*Disclaimer - this list is subject to change ... hourly

I host an annual group pepper seed swap on another site, so I'm sure I'll probably add to this list once that gets going, but this is the bulk of what I plan to grow anyway. The problem with adding to this list isn't where to plant them, it's finding enough cat-free space indoors to start them all!

If you check out my post on early season Serrano substitutes you'll see I'm still looking for information on a few of the peppers I"m thinking of growing. It's so much better hearing from someone that has actually grown a variety, rather than going by a description on a seed vendor's website!

The habaneros may get started in the next couple of weeks, but I'll probably wait until February to start the rest. I'll be back with pictures once the seeds are in the dirt.

Awww, thanks Rick for the holiday wishes! That looks lovely! Is it an actual wreath, or did you just arrange it that way for the picture?

I usually make an herb & dried flower wreath for the kitchen in the fall. Last year, I added peppers to it. Haven't made one yet this year, and I might be too late. Not sure that there is much left in the herb garden.

As far as mini cheese balls vs. logs go, the advantage of the smaller portion size is that every bite will have bacon in it. :dance:
Hi Bonnie
It was an arrangement of my dried gochu peppers before I ground them for powder, and some basil that we were still picking then. If I remember correctly, I took the picture in August.

I see your point about cheese balls vs cheese log... "This one has cheese and bacon? I'm down with that!"

Thought I'd show you guys my latest pepper inspired creation. Yep, it's potluck time again, LOL! I've challenged myself to not bring the same dish twice, so this time I came up with

[font=lucida sans unicode']Mini Pepper Cheese Balls [/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']It's a mixture of cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, and cheddar, diced green chilies, fresh garlic, onion powder, and a generous helping of some of my own pepper powder. You could really kick it up with the powder, but I used a blend of NuMex peppers, to keep it edible for the general public. Once the mixture was rolled into balls and put in the freezer for 15 - 20 to set, I rolled them in bacon bits.[/font]

[font=lucida sans unicode']Here they are waiting their turn for the bacon bit coating[/font]

Waitingforbacon.jpg

Usually, cheese balls are rolled in chopped pecans, but bacon makes more sense to me! The flavor was similar to a jalapeno popper.

Final product. Serve with your favorite crackers.

MiniPepperCheeseBalls.jpg

With the holiday season here, I may come up with a couple other recipes before it's time to start the 2013 glog.

:shocked:

:P

Those look amazing. Great idea!

DISCLAIMER: Non pepper post ahead. View at your own risk. :P

In preparation for boxing up canned goods to send to family and friends, I made a batch of jelly for the little kids on my list.

[font=lucida sans unicode']Candy Apple Jelly[/font]

CandyAppleJelly12-6-12.jpg

... and just because it's so pretty. Here's last night's sunset.

Sunset12-5-12.jpg

Once I get all of the canned goods boxed up, I will start making cookies, fudge, and other goodies to send with them. May throw in some pepper powders too!

Beautiful color with your jellies...even though they're not the fire in the sky....as displayed in the scenic shot....Twilight at it's Best !.

Hi Bonnie, your glog is a gustatory marvel, as always!
Glad you have had a good grow season! Your seeds
should be on the way sometime today!

Here's to a wonderful holiday season and best wishes
for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for you and
your family.

Hi Bonnie, your glog is a gustatory marvel, as always!
Glad you have had a good grow season! Your seeds
should be on the way sometime today!

Here's to a wonderful holiday season and best wishes
for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for you and
your family.

Thank you for those kind words, Paul, and sorry it took me so long to reply. Merry Christmas to you as well, and looking forward to following your grow again next year!

Had our first good snow of the season a few days ago.

Firstbigsnowoftheseason12-19-12_zps55c765e6.jpg

12-19-12_zps625009c5.jpg

The younger kids took advantage of the fresh powder to do some sledding.

Goingsledding12-19-12_zps533285d4.jpg

[font=comic sans ms']Merry Christmas to all my THP friends, and best wishes in the New Year!!![/font]

SugarCookies12_zpsc2e4914c.jpg

Hi Bonnie, and Merry Christmas to you and your family from St John, New Brunswick... We're visiting with my MIL there. Sorry to hear there's illness in your family, but hopefully they'll get better soon so you all can relax and enjoy the holiday season. We've had snow, sleet and freezing rain at home, but it hasn't stuck. The ponds haven't frozen yet either, so no ice fishing. Maybe in January. Cheers!

Hi Bonnie, and Merry Christmas to you and your family from St John, New Brunswick... We're visiting with my MIL there. Sorry to hear there's illness in your family, but hopefully they'll get better soon so you all can relax and enjoy the holiday season. We've had snow, sleet and freezing rain at home, but it hasn't stuck. The ponds haven't frozen yet either, so no ice fishing. Maybe in January. Cheers!

Merry Christmas, Rick! Hope you guys get enough cold weather for some ice fishing. Last year, they never did get a thick enough layer of ice on the local lakes to hold the ice fishing tournament. We've gotten a decent amount of snow that past week or so, but the temps are still not as cold as the average for this time of year. The lakes don't have a solid sheet of ice on them yet, but we'll see what January brings.

Okay, the carnage is over, and everyone is enjoying their new stuff. I didn't really get any garden related stuff, but I got one really cool toy. It's a Nikon Coolpix L310. Once my husband hooks up the cable and installs the software that came with it, I'll try and post some pictures I took with it. That thing does all kinds of crazy stuff. It may take me a while to figure it all out. I'm not what you would describe as a techie.

I'm feeling very blessed today!

Looks like you had a really tasty Christmas Bonnie. Got some new canning supplies this year so I'm looking forward to getting into some fun in the kitchen this year. Starting off with more Bourbon Fatalii Apple Butter. Seems like I open a new jar and it's gone before I get to open it a second time. Anh, what do you do :) Hope you have a Great New Year full of bountiful harvests and we'll have to do some trading this year. Oh, and that whole fear of fermenting thing, don't worry we'll get you fermenting this year ;)

Bill

Oh, and that whole fear of fermenting thing, don't worry we'll get you fermenting this year ;)

Bill

If anyone can talk me through the process, I know you can!!!

I know I already started my 2013 glog, but I thought I would post one last set of pictures on this thread, since technically it's still 2012.

Taken from the driveway and alley this morning, before I left for work.

NewYearsEve003_zps89230b68.jpg

Notice the pile there next to the drive? That will give you and idea how many times I've shoveled the past couple of weeks.

Poor little Honey Crisp apple tree is almost buried.
NewYearsEve005_zpsa3023226.jpg

The view out back.
NewYearsEve002_zps574a7596.jpg

NewYearsEve004_zpsf8c864c0.jpg

Now just for fun, some pics of tonight's menu for the kids:

Fruit Salsa (will be served with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips)

FruitSalsa_zps37e3049d.jpg

Spinach Artichoke Dip (not baked yet)

SpinachArtichokeDipnotbakedyet_zps1bfcd2f4.jpg

Homemade Chex Mix (used some of my Chilhuacle Amarillo powder in it)

HomemadeChexMix_zpsd99c33d1.jpg

Party Favors

Partyfavors_zps647a5e4b.jpg

I still need to make the cocktail meatballs, but thought we'd just keep it casual with some simple appetizers.

Here's the best part of all. Since we live in the mountain time zone, the kid's will watch the ball drop at "midnight" and be in bed by 10 pm. :rofl:

Happy New Year, THP!!!

Brrrr...looks like its almost time for plantout! Happy New Year Lady!!! The food looks as delicious as always! Gonna go hunt for your new glog now...

Back