• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hillbilly Chili

Okie dokie folks! Here is my recipe for chili, It is good, easy to make, and GOOD! But it does take a little while to make. Have you ever noticed that there is no recipe for a small batch of chili?... this one is no different... OK here we go! :cool:

This is what you need:

1 pound ground beef
2 pounds italian sausage
3 (15oz) cans of chili beans
1 (15oz) can of chili beans in spicy sauce
2 (28oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
1 large yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
5-6 peppers of your choice (I used Anaheim's because my wife HATES spicy food)
4-5 pieces of bacon
4 beef bouillon cubes
3/4 cup of good beer
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (homemade is better)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar

You will also need a BIG pot to put everything into, and 1 or 2 pans for browning meat crisping bacon and sauteing veggies

DIRECTIONS!

1) brown the ground beef and italian sausage in a pan, while the meet is browning cut the bacon into small pieces and crisp it up in a pan.. LEAVE THE BACON FAT IN THE PAN!

2) chop up the onion, red bell pepper, and chili peppers. throw them into to pan with the bacon fat and sauté them

3) once the meat is browned and the bacon is crispy and the veggies are sautéed, throw every ingredient into the big pot

4) put the pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and let it simmer for at least two hours! NO LESS!

Thats it! If you have a slow cooker you could make it in that a lot easier but a big pot works just as well!

PICS!

Here are all the things you need!
2011-10-08172336.jpg

Chopped up veggies..
2011-10-08174647.jpg

Veggies sautéing
2011-10-08180608.jpg

Everything ready to go into the pool
2011-10-08181637.jpg

EVERYONE INTO THE POOL!
2011-10-08181951.jpg

3 hours later
2011-10-08202054.jpg

ENJOY and lemme know what you think! :)

Notice how the pics get blurrier as they go?... :drunk:

-Nick

I would think browning beef, sausage, and bacon in the pan, and not draining the fat, would make for an unappealing layer on top of the finished product. That and beans! Oh noeees.

:)

I would think browning beef, sausage, and bacon in the pan, and not draining the fat, would make for an unappealing layer on top of the finished product. That and beans! Oh noeees.

:)
Well, didn't win outright but took the moral victory. 6 co-workers judged the thing........all co-workers ate the chili.......the Hillbilly Chili was the first pot empty so it was obvious which the masses picked. :) Try it THP........the layer on top was just part of the glory! :woohoo: Thanks 4 the recipe Hillbilly!

Well the pic looks good HillBilly, hmm maybe you drained some of that fat?

well I just got the chili on the stove to cook for "at least 2 hours" and I can't wait for it to be done. I will post pics give a review and tell what peppers I used and what I added later. thanks hillbilly for the recipe can't wait until it's done.

My Spin:

So I used Trinidad Scorpion, Billy Boy Douglah 7 Pot Hybrid, Black Pearls, Maui Purple, Yellow Devils Tong, Hanoi Red, Chocolate Jolokia, and Orange Habanero but I put them in the food processor for just a min. and I added some Bhut Jolokia powder and smoked Bhut Jolokia powder.

Taste :

OK this had great taste and really good heat. I think I add just the right amount of peppers and powder. you can taste everything. It was so good. I am still letting it cook but I can't wait to bring it to lunch tomorrow and let everyone try it.
Now I need to find out how to add pics. ( i cant find the post tht tells you how)

Thats a lot of ingredients but it sounds like they work wonderfully together!! Thanks for sharing your recipe I may have to try it out !!

xo Nicole

Back