• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HillBilly Jeff's 2014 Adventure - Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

HillBilly Jeff said:

Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Bodeen said:
Just throwing this up here to plan out my list for next year.  Looking at some changes to my grow next year.

Sawyer said:
I'm taking some cuttings from some of my in-grounds now.  Not sure if they'll make it to spring, but if so, it'll be a good way to propagate KGP (known good peppers).

Will the plants you make from taking the cuttings yield the same as the parent plant?  I would think of like a limb that is now out on its own making a living.  Should have the exact same DNA as the parent and produce the same +/- environmental changes.

WalkGood said:
Every ting looking Irie mon, from this last pic the MoA's are looking better. They look about the same size as my babies except mine are outside battling a winter blast right now but it shouldn't get too cold here but cold enough for WG, lol. Love da egg starters, keep up da great work ^_^

I had some eggs that were just used, was having trouble germing seeds, and decided to give your method a go and see what happens.  I was going to chuck it all away the other day when I noticed some life and then last night I noticed the hooks.  The dirt they are in is the same crap I had the MoA in and I need to get them into some good dirt as soon as I am able to move them.  Your egg starters inspired me!!!

Devv said:
So far I've done really well with cuttings. I've just cut a 5 to 6" top and stuck it in a 12oz. water bottle with about 2" of it in the water. I leave it on the kitchen table, after a few weeks when the roots are 3"s or so, I pot it and keep it in the shade for a few weeks. Then I gradually introduce them to sunlight.

We had 40's this AM, OK by me as it went into the 70's later on...a picture perfect day!

So you are taking these cuttings during the growing season?  Would it work taking some cuts that I removed from an OW?  When you bring them out you basically are treating them as a new plant hardening them off and all that.

Devv said:
So far I've done really well with cuttings. I've just cut a 5 to 6" top and stuck it in a 12oz. water bottle with about 2" of it in the water. I leave it on the kitchen table, after a few weeks when the roots are 3"s or so, I pot it and keep it in the shade for a few weeks. Then I gradually introduce them to sunlight.

I may have given mine too much sun to start with.  I just stuck them in a window without thinking about it too carefully.  They're still hanging on, but look pretty weak.  Do you put anything in the water to inhibit mold or encourage rooting or anything?

Bodeen said:
Will the plants you make from taking the cuttings yield the same as the parent plant?  I would think of like a limb that is now out on its own making a living.  Should have the exact same DNA as the parent and produce the same +/- environmental changes.

So you are taking these cuttings during the growing season?  Would it work taking some cuts that I removed from an OW?  When you bring them out you basically are treating them as a new plant hardening them off and all that.
I think so on the DNA.  I don't see how it could be otherwise.  If I'd thought about it earlier in the season, I might have tried some air-layering.  As it is, I'm taking cuttings from good performers in the garden and will probably keep some of the cuttings from trimming the OWs.

Well my first Yellow Manzano has its coty out.  I did a little work on the helmet head, got the outer helmet off, but the inner is still holding on.  Don't have much faith in that one making it.  If you look where the arrow is, you can see one that tried to make it and couldn't and died.  Stupid hard compacted soil.  On the bright side I dug into the 4th egg to find another one germing, so I swapped out the soil for some better soil and will see what happens.

YellowMan11-04.jpg

Also checked on my Orange Manzano in the paper toweling from 2011 and have two starting to germ.  I got those two in dirt along with the 4 from newer seed that I planted.  I'd like to run with 2 of each this season.

OrangeMan1104.jpg

I also made the first pass on the back garden with the tiller after work today.  Gotta add the compost that is ready and give it another good tilling and it will be ready for spring.

1457575_10201052163976339_1250009946_n.jpg

That sure is some pretty dirt!

The cuttings I did this season were from store bought plants I couldn't find seeds for in time. I picked the packs that had those "extras", I cut them flush with the dirt and stuck them in water. I had 100% success. A root hormone would help for sure, but I tried these without using one.

I'm sure as long as the cutting that's put in water has a green soft stem it will grow. I harden them off even more carefully then seedlings, as they have almost no root system. A weekend is a good test to try and move them into more light so you can watch them. If you're using lights this winter it should be easy..

Thinking about extending this garden out farther.  Looking at another 25 feet.  But then I have been thinking about doing a raised bed somewhere else so there is a little more isolation on another group of peppers.  Up in the air on that project.  

Been giving serious thoughts to drip irrigation as well.  I think that will help me control weeds, water grass mainly, and keep the garden looking better.  Will be doing a mulch this year to help in that aspect too.  Probably alfalfa hay.  It will be beneficial when tilled in too.  Won't go with 1st cutting as that will have more of the weed seeds in it.  2nd or 3rd will be the way to go.

Also read about growing plants in bales of straw.  I might give that a go this year too.

Ended up with 2 3/4 pounds of pure smoked hot pepper powder medley.  It has a real good bite to it in its pure form.  Hit me in the roof of the mouth.  Nice smokey flavor as well.  I am now done with smoking/drying/grinding peppers for the season.  Well, unless I pull some Burgundy out of the freezer and give them a smoke.

Interested to see what kinds of blends I can make out of all this powder.

1441170_10201059470919008_1750896916_n.jpg

Dang that's a lot of powder!

I haven't mulched in years, going to use wet newspaper covered with the mulch I've scored over the last few weeks. And you're right, the hay and straw usually contain seeds.

Added a bunch of horse manure the last few years, full of weed seeds, even when composted. Still fighting that.

Devv said:
Dang that's a lot of powder!

I haven't mulched in years, going to use wet newspaper covered with the mulch I've scored over the last few weeks. And you're right, the hay and straw usually contain seeds.

Added a bunch of horse manure the last few years, full of weed seeds, even when composted. Still fighting that.

That's why I'm looking at second cutting.  First has more seeds in it.  They hay will also be good to till in later in the fall.

Jeff,
That's a nice looking plot, I agree with Scott the soil looks rich. Similar to some that we have here in Illinois.The top few feet in the rural areas are the gold stuff. Closer to the city has a mix of blue and yellow clay. It appears the area to the right slants downward into the patch. Do you get heavy runoff. 
One of my sisters has a similar looking area. She has to deal with wet ground into May. 

Ton of powder.......I also  like to keep mine pure. Salt or other ingredients get mixed separately into any food prep. I learnd many yrs back, once you add certain ingredients, you can't take out. Adding more of something else to cover only makes the dish off balanced.

Thats a teaser looking at seedlings...for me. I won't start until Feburary.........full steam ahead.........or shall I say...electric !

PIC 1 said:
Jeff,
That's a nice looking plot, I agree with Scott the soil looks rich. Similar to some that we have here in Illinois.The top few feet in the rural areas are the gold stuff. Closer to the city has a mix of blue and yellow clay. It appears the area to the right slants downward into the patch. Do you get heavy runoff. 
One of my sisters has a similar looking area. She has to deal with wet ground into May. 

Ton of powder.......I also  like to keep mine pure. Salt or other ingredients get mixed separately into any food prep. I learnd many yrs back, once you add certain ingredients, you can't take out. Adding more of something else to cover only makes the dish off balanced.

Thats a teaser looking at seedlings...for me. I won't start until Feburary.........full steam ahead.........or shall I say...electric !

Thank you.  It is good sandy ground.  I am up on a hill here so there is never too much water.  The slope you see is leading up to the one garage.  The way the weather has been running lately, I don't plant out until like the 20th of May.

I just did a complete scrub down of the dehydrator.  Getting ready to dry up a mess of tangerines to grind into a powder to see how they will work with pepper powder.  If you want to pm me your address I will shoot you out a sample of the pure powder.  I have to blend some up soon, the shaker I take to work is almost out of my HillBilly Meat Blend.

The MoA I started just because I didn't want to wait on growing these.  The Manzano I have no choice if I want to get some pods next year.  Will be OW them next year if I like em and they make it okay.  2015 could be a good Manzano year in that case.

That there is a lot of hot powder Jeff.

I guess I missed the details. That is just all of the late season peppers that you force ripened? Smoked, dried and ground into a pepper powder medley? Bet that is tasty and hot.

You're right about the monzanos. They need a heck of a head start. I have 3 monzanos and 3 red rocotos in the germination area hoping they pop soon. So far nothing after 2 weeks. Some need to pop soon because I think one of my OW monzanos didn't survive the shock of being trimmed back drastically.

Jeff H said:

I guess I missed the details. That is just all of the late season peppers that you force ripened? Smoked, dried and ground into a pepper powder medley? Bet that is tasty and hot.

You're right about the monzanos. They need a heck of a head start. I have 3 monzanos and 3 red rocotos in the germination area hoping they pop soon. So far nothing after 2 weeks. Some need to pop soon because I think one of my OW monzanos didn't survive the shock of being trimmed back drastically.

It is just the peppers from the last pick before the frost threat came, and then all of the ones that I ripened in the house that I picked off and let ripen.  All has been smoked and dried and made into powder.  I was actually thinking it wasn't going to be all that hot since I had quite a few non supers in the mix, but it has some kick to it.  Maybe not to most of us, but to me its all the heat I want in a powder.  I guess the primo, brainstrain, moruga added to the heat level and there was an insane amout of bhuts and burgundys added to the mix as well.

Going to dry some tangerines this weekend.  Going low on the temp to preserve the most color I can.  Once I get it done I am thinking about a tangerine chicken or fish rub and then grilling me up some dinner.  

Got a surprise in the mail today.  I am really anxious to grow the Tepin x Lemon Drop.  Gotta look into the other ones.  Not the primo though.

1391767_10201073062698794_330115812_n.jpg

After doing some research on these seeds, three will make the grow this season.

Tepin x Lemon Drop  
Douglah x TS
Antilles Fire

With two of the three tasting like cherries, I have some ideas for them.

Devv said:
Better add that 25' to the garden.... ;)

My current list is just at 113 plants plus sweets, and I added a 25 foot row on the south end of my work shop for the MoA plants.  That alone counts for 14 of the plants.  Looking to do a raised bed somewhere I am thinking.  Moving the herbs to a raised bed of their own.  A small pepper patch down by the barn might be in order next season!!!
I have also been thinking about putting some containers out in the orchard.  Need to think rabbit and deer issues though.

Jeff H said:

Didn't think to ask this, too many ot days at work this week and 2 am comes too early, but if you want a sample of the powder just pm me your addy and I will shoot you some out.

haha 113 plants plus sweets. That will be a lot of heat next year. Mine should be 1/2 that size and that will be more than enough for me. 

Appreciate the offer on the powder and I'll surely take you up on it. The flavor ought to be outstanding. 

Tangerine Dream Powder.  Wasn't as intense as I had hoped for, but that powder sure gave it a punch.  It might need something extra to set it off.

Dried Tangerines  Pretty intense when sampled like this.

1146663_10201082407692413_1000224033_n.jpg

Ground Tangerines seemed to loose some of their intense flavor

1459735_10201082407852417_107830836_n.jpg

Mixed with pepper powder

1450283_10201082409172450_919187683_n.jpg

Sampled on cottage cheese

1459097_10201082409412456_307354040_n.jpg

And finally, my Christmas cactus

1005847_10201082395652112_2078865229_n.jpg

Back