• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Holes in peppers and seed saving

My Savina is podding up but I'm finding holes in the peppers (guessing catapillar or slugs). If I save seed from these assuming they ripen, is there:

A chance the seeds will not be viable

Danger for plants grown from these seeds to be diseased assuming they do germinate?

Danger in drying out and eating the pods that have holes

You will likely find a big worm in each of the pods with holes,,If they arent already ripened ,the trauma will cause early ripening...therefore I wouldnt bother to save the seed

Get some sevin

:cool:
Kevin

wayright said:
You will likely find a big worm in each of the pods with holes,,If they arent already ripened ,the trauma will cause early ripening...therefore I wouldnt bother to save the seed

Get some sevin

:cool:
Kevin

Alternatively, it could be Kevin sneaking around your garden sampling each pod!

Its usually pretty easy to tell if seeds are good or not.
Often if the pod has holes in it the seeds will appear a little brown around the edges. (which are usually no good)

You can still usually find a few viable, normal, healthy looking seeds amongst the bad ones.

Personally I would just toss those seeds. Best to be sure for your sake and the future person who might end up with them. Just my opinion though.

At first I tossed bug bit pods.  Now I use them for making pepper infusions / organic bug repellent.  Problem being, it wont repell anything that made the hole.  But it does do a good job on other insects and makes me feel better about not wasting the things.

Back