• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Holy Jolokia...thoughts?

I got a bottle of this on Saturday, I hadn't tried it before but I must say I quite like it. Not the hottest sauce but I wouldn't call it mild. I just had a bowl of tortilla chips and sprinkled it liberally over the top and I've got a nice lip sting now. It adds a nice sweetness to canned chili too.

I'd definitely buy this one again.

Made by NMSU Chile Pepper Institute.

jolokia_hot_sauce_042409_.jpg

I've never had it, but the first ingredient is vinegar so I probably wouldn't like it too much. Not going to pay $13 for a 5 oz bottle either, but at least the money goes to a good group.

Ingredients: Vinegar, bhut jolokia chiles, sugar, salt, granulated garlic, lemon extract, and xantham gum

I posted about this a while back, and agree - not very hot, and a bit too vinegary for my tastes straight up. However, pretty good if you're going to add it to other things.

I'm glad to hear about it. I'm interested if anyone else likes this sauce. I've been curious about it.

It's a CaJohn sauce and is very good. It's a Golden Chile Winner. A portion of the sales helps fund research at the Chile Pepper Institute. You can get it at www.cajohns.com

I bought 2 bottles of it and was disappointed. Agreed, some of the money goes to a good cause. Too vinegary for me and not very hot. Many people on this site make better sauces.

I bought 2 bottles of it and was disappointed. Agreed, some of the money goes to a good cause. Too vinegary for me and not very hot. Many people on this site make better sauces.
Just cracked mine open, full of vinegar with little heat/flavor.
Seems they skimped on the pepper content to save production costs.

-Peter

I thought Cajohn's made Holy Jolokia.
Yeah produced by Cajohn's for CIP of NMSU.

Holy Jolokia
Order a bottle and support the Institute! Produced by CaJohn's Fiery Foods (Visit CaJohn's), a portion of bottle sales helps to fund research and education at the Chle Pepper Institute. The chile heat in this sauce comes from the world's hottest chile pepper, the Bhut Jolokia, measured at over a million Scoville Heat Units. Caution: Your taste buds may cry out, "Holy Jolokia!"

A huge THANK YOU to John and Sue Hard, owners of Cajohn's for their support of chile pepper research and education.
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/holy_jolokia.php

-Peter

Back