• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Holy Jolokia

I don't usually use bottled sauces in my cooking, but instead use either fresh or jarred peppers. However, somewhere on this site someone posted about the flavor of jolokia sauce, and after coming across Holy Jolokia at the farmers' market tonight, decided to give it a try. I started out by just putting some on my tongue, and agree it has a nice flavor and plenty enough burn. However, it didn't burn so much that chewing on a few dried sweetened cranberries couldn't eradicate it fairly quickly.

Since we were having tacos tonight, I decided to add some to the taco meat - only about 8 - 10 drops to just under a pound of hamburger, primarily because my son indicated he's kind of getting tired of all the hot stuff I've been making lately. Still and all, what a disappointment. The heat just wasn't there - at all. Given the heat of a drop on the tongue, I would have thought the 8-10 drops would have at least been somewhat noticeable. Not.

So I'm wondering how much of my experience was due to lack of experience with using sauces in my cooking (ie - probably if I had added the sauce just before serving, rather than actually cooking with it, things would have been different), versus how much of my experience was due to the nature of this particular sauce. In other words, are there other jolokia sauces that would have made it through the cooking better? Of course, using more would likely have made a difference as well, but still, I was surprised at the utter lack of heat. Your thoughts?

I have some of this hot sauce, but have not tried it yet. Maybe it's just not that hot at all. I know when I put a few drops of blairs Mega Death in some chili, and this is while it's still cooking, it gives a pretty good burn to the pot. Maybe the Holy Jolokia is made more for put on food, in salsa's, in chili after the cooking process and ready to eat. Or your just immune to it, :lol:

No claim to immunity here! While I do eat hotter than most locals here will tolerate, I don't eat as hot as I used to, in part because of availability (lack thereof.) When you go to the grocer's and all the hot peppers have fuzz growing on them, you just tend to walk on by. However, I'm starting to learn about places that periodically carry some good ones - the farmers' market had some nagas for sale today, and I don't recall ever seeing those there before.

The Blair's MegaDeath that you mentioned - is it jolokia, or some other pepper? Haven't seen this one here, but admittedly, I haven't found much in the way of sauces here at all. Note, though, that they did have SnakeBite at the FM, and I hear it's got a nice burn.

I'd be more inclined to use dried powders or purees in my cooking (if fresh pods weren't available)....and the hot sauces for a table condiment.

geeme, just a quick question-

you mentioned Holy Jolokia and Snake Bite sauces at the farmers market. Those are both manufactured sauces, so your market allows resellers? It just piqued my interest as most farmers markets don't allow reselling, only "made by/grown by" the person selling it.

Slightly off topic there.

geeme, just a quick question-
you mentioned Holy Jolokia and Snake Bite sauces at the farmers market. Those are both manufactured sauces, so your market allows resellers? It just piqued my interest as most farmers markets don't allow reselling, only "made by/grown by" the person selling it.

Slightly off topic there.
This particular farmers market is a bit different from any other farmers market I've been to, and I've been to many all over the country. I'd call it more of a cross between a "true" farmers market and a grocery store. It's still fairly small, and most of the fresh products (certainly fruits and veggies [and peppers]) come from locals during the growing season. Processed or packaged items such as peanut butter and honey are also local. However, they do carry an interesting mix of products that can't be found in the major grocery stores here, such as the pepper sauces (even their collection is small, but they're not limited to Tobasco, like the majors), oils and vinegars, teas, wines, and seasonings. When local produce isn't available, they do supplement with non-local produce, so they have fresh produce of almost any kind all year.

thanks for that link,

It's an actual brick-and-mortar store as opposed to an open stalls Saturday market-type market. It looks like a cool place and if we're ever in the neighborhood, we definitely have a shopping date. :)

For cooking I too use powders that I make myself, but for topping after cooking, I cannot help that I love Tabasco Chipotle.

You guys are too funny. At the end of the day, if you like a flavor, you like it - hot or not. Kind of like my love of grits with sliced strawberries, a sprinkle of sugar, and topped with cream. Mm-m!

Hmm - maybe I'll try grits with strawberries and cream and holy jolokia sauce.... could be interesting.

thanks for that link,
It's an actual brick-and-mortar store as opposed to an open stalls Saturday market-type market. It looks like a cool place and if we're ever in the neighborhood, we definitely have a shopping date. :)
And if you decide to start selling your salsas there, let me know!

Back