• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Hombre growing Capsicum pubescens 2012

Grow Log 2012

Scince a few years I only grow Capsicum pubescens.
This year I have got many plants over the winter an for that I wanted to cut back with growing new plants but that did not worl out so well.
So here's my Story....

I tried to get 252 pubescens plants over the winter and in January it was not looking so good with them so I looked into my seed box and picked out a few pubescens Seeds to Sow
The first were sowed on the 22nd of Jan.
I use an old Medical Fridge that also can be heated
Kuehlschrank.jpg

After only 6 Days the first sprouts appeared
ersterKeim.jpg

At that time the Capsicum pubescens that I was trying to get over the winter looked like this

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

So not so bad

And the new plants also had a good start

IMG_0047.jpg

But then in Febuary we got hit by really cold weather and a lot off the plants from 2011 got damaged

4 Weeks after sowing the plant got transplanted
pikiert.jpg

and after 4 more weeks it looked like this

Mittemaerz.jpg

They started to gow badly from thet point on
IMG_0124.jpg

And some of the 2011 plants looked really promising and others not
So I sorted them and in the End there were 137 really good looking ones and around 50 that will still get a chance and the rest did not make it.

UeberblickueberW.jpg

On the 1st of May the first 40L Pots (arounf 10 Gal.) were planted outside

Mid of May a late frost hit us and 11 plants had some frost damage

End of may a big bunch was takes care of

beautiful flowers and pods thanks for sharing that:)
Of all your Rocotos is there one that is really hot? The ones I have tried up till now have excellent taste but have been rather mild. Do second year plants produce bigger fruits? I was a bit disappointed with the size of some of my Rocotos and was wondering why some people get to grow them to the size of an apple(whats the secret :) )

For many people Capsicum pubescens feel milder than other peppers because of diffrent capsaicines , the funny thing is that for others it is the other way around. I would say that many of the Capsicum pubescens vars. are in a really similar range of heat,
You do not really get bigger Pods in the 2nd Year the size has more to do with the Variety .
There are many Manzanos out there that are rather small but also many that are Apple Size

Greetings

Hombre

Great weather the problem at the moment is that I am running low on water.
My well only gives me only around 75 Gal. a day but I need much more

Greetings

Alexander

you could do with some kind of reservoir to store the rain water from the wet season(wich should be fairly long in Germany ;) I saw a guy from australia use an old second hand swimming pool for this purpose. Good thing you are only growing 500 plants this year and not 2000 like previously. It is looking good some lovely shaped rocotos, the select yellow looks delicious.

I store allready 4,4 m³ but next weekend I will get 2 more Tanks so I can store up to 6,4 m³ water in the future hopefully that will do the trick in the future

Back