beer Home brewing costs

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
With the initial set-up costs aside, how much does it cost to brew your own beer, for say, 12 ounces worth?

For a typical brew - say around 19 litres (5 gal)

Supermarket kit plus some sugar will cost around $15(AU)
Supermarket kit plus some dry malt and hops $24(AU)
Supermarket kit plus dry malt, hops and a good dry yeast $28(AU)

other end of the scale
Crack your own grain (buy it by the sack), buy a bulk lot of hops (kg at a time is cheap) and make good use of a quality liquid yeast (biology project at home).... you can make excellent beer for around $25(AU) a batch. But if you only buy the quantities of each item which you need for the one brew, it will cost nearer to $50.

dreamboat

A good person to ask is Tony05......

He has the cost worked out down to the glass......allowing that you make a good size batch.

You can actually spend hundreds of dollars setting it all up and it pays itself off in no time flat...

these people are great to work with

http://www.leeners.com/

very friendly and knowledgable (it's actually a local store for me) I use them for small quantities of shrink bands and also for turbo yeast and other things. They sell everything needed as well (not sure on prices never did a comparison to anyone elses)

it costs on an average $30 - $35 in ing. per 5 gallon batch

so 5 gallons = 640 ounces
thats 53.3 12 ounce bottles
thats between $0.56 - $0.65 per bottle
or break it down a lil more....
$0.047 - $0.054 per ounce

ya figure Bud Light is around $7.00 a 6 pack thats $0.85 a beer

so after the initial start up cost you'll be drinking a good micro-brew quality beer for a lil over half the cost of commercial beer if you're a beer drinker it would be worth it in the long run imo.

My beers so far have averaged from $0.67 to $1.75 a bottle (12 ounce bottle). My "Passow's Stoned Clone" that I just bottled cost me about $75 to brew I believe.

Each batch generally gets me 52 12 ounce bottles.

Dyce51 said:
so after the initial start up cost you'll be drinking a good micro-brew quality beer for a lil over half the cost of commercial beer if you're a beer drinker it would be worth it in the long run imo.

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Fresh is a quality that applies to more than peppers.

Even my less memorable brews have been fresh and far superior to much of anything you can get at the store!

I am just starting to get back into Homebrewing (used to do it with my parents) We used to do beer, hard cider and I have my Grand Pa's distilled recipe. I have to start over from scratch so let the adventures begin!! lol...

imaguitargod said:
My beers so far have averaged from $0.67 to $1.75 a bottle (12 ounce bottle). My "Passow's Stoned Clone" that I just bottled cost me about $75 to brew I believe.

Each batch generally gets me 52 12 ounce bottles.

but still at $75.00 for 52 bottles of beer works out to around $1.44 a bottle for a higher than average bottle of beer....still a savings (when compared to other micro-brews)

Again, absolutely right.

I am not actually saving $ over, say, Bud, but I am drinking some quality stuff at the bud price.

The occasional Hop Bomb or Barleywine costs a bit more than bud, but the benefit for the $ should be obvious.

Also, growing Hops kicks ass and saves $ and yeast can be refreshed and used many many times over, saving tons of $.

Cool! Are you factoring in the cost of the beer bottle too? Thanks

thehotpepper.com said:
Cool! Are you factoring in the cost of the beer bottle too? Thanks

no.... I was not factoring in the cost of bottles as well....I just use sanitized empties and I buy new caps

Ditto. I just take the beer I drink normally, save them and then eventually strip them of the labels and use them over and over again. Just last week I stripped off 72 bottle labels.

So, u thinking of brewing THP?

imaguitargod said:
Ditto. I just take the beer I drink normally, save them and then eventually strip them of the labels and use them over and over again. Just last week I stripped off 72 bottle labels.

So, u thinking of brewing THP?
Sure man. Hey, stupid question. If you have a kegerator, can you make your own tap beer????

Tony05's setup is amazing

photo0579yl1.jpg

I'd like to brew my own but bottlewashing is just depressing. I've seen 19 litre post mix kegs for sale but really expensive.
Is there anywhere else to get a keg that could be pressurised?

bentalphanerd said:
Tony05's setup is amazing

photo0579yl1.jpg

Geeze, no kidding. The beers he brews look pretty, and I am given to understand they taste good, too.

I'd like to brew my own but bottlewashing is just depressing.

I don't want to brew my own beer, I want to drink the beer other people brew. I have been known to help with bottle washing and sterilization to encourage others to brew.

Back