beer Home brewing costs

All right, admittedly I did not read every post in this thread, but I skimmed it a bit and perhaps we're missing the point.

-Here's the quick and superficial answer:
If you make a no-frills all-grain beer, you could easily make 5 gallons for $25. 5 gallons is 640 ounces, which makes 53 twelve ounce bottles. $25 divided by 53 is 47 cents per bottle. Buying ingredients in bulk will even decrease this per-bottle amount.

-Now for the real answer:
But you don't want to homebrew for the cost. You want to homebrew because it is a hobby that you love. You do it because you love the ingredients, and you love the freedom of experimenting with ingredients and techniques, and having that tasty reward for your efforts. If you are brewing to save money, you won't enjoy it, and then it would be better use of your time and money to just go and buy the commercial product that you prefer. Homebrewing requires patience and attention to detail, and if you don't love it, it won't be worth your effort.

thehotpepper.com said:
With the initial set-up costs aside, how much does it cost to brew your own beer, for say, 12 ounces worth?
The recipe i'm making now, not counting equipment costs, bottles, etc. was $39.59 with the tax. That works out to roughly $1.21 per 12oz bottle. A little more money than Bud or even Yeungling, but with any luck, a bit better product.

Back